Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can't get music on iPhone

Can't get music on iPhone
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 6, 2020, 10:27 AM

Is this what it's like to be old and useless?

For years and years and years I've used smart playlists to sync music to my iPhone. A few months ago I dumped a whole bunch of mp3s in a smart playlist and they synced. That's the last time I think I put music on it, and it may have been before the iTunes/Music split.

My phone is plugged into my computer with a Lightning cable.

Now when I go to Music, I can see my phone. If I click on Sync Settings, it opens up a Finder window where I can select songs/artists/playlists. Now, no matter what I do, I cannot get any music on OR off of my phone. Sometimes when I hit sync I see the spinning dash wheel or the spinning arrows. Sometimes I see nothing. I deselected all playlists, artists, albums, etc. except for a single album and hit sync and nothing changed.

I went into Music and right clicked a song > Add to Device > my phone and nothing happened. At various times my phone claimed it was syncing but nothing at all happens to the music that is on it. Nothing I do in Music or in the Finder Sync Settings has any effect. There used to be a way to trigger a wi-fi sync. I can't find that option anymore.

I'm having trouble finding anything on Google because I have to sort through 15 years of people having trouble with iTunes. Now that syncing is managed my an app called Music and the Finder, those are worse than useless search terms.

I'm at a loss. The conspiracy theorist in me says that Apple's making it difficult to deal with real mp3s in order to push Apple Music.

Any suggestions?

putty
Banned
Jun 7, 2020, 11:10 AM

Same problem! I cant listen music on my iphone!

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 8, 2020, 08:22 AM

Okay so now there's just no music on my phone. All of the songs that used to be on there are still listed, but grayed out. If I try and play something it tells me, "This song is not available in your country or region."

Thorzdad
Jun 8, 2020, 10:55 AM

That's really weird.
The message also sounds like you have a localization problem. Like, AppleMusic thinks you're somewhere outside the US. I mean, it's Iowa, sure, but still...

Jun 8, 2020, 11:01 AM

I'm terrified of this. I still haven't upgraded to Catalina because I'm worried about my massive meticulously curated library of MP3s and change is scary.

Forum Links
Forum Rules