Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > FastAndSlow for newer Macbook Pro

FastAndSlow for newer Macbook Pro
Zaurus
Aug 7, 2007, 02:45 PM

I used it on my previous Powerbook 12" and very happy about it

i don't think it works on newer Intel-based (especially Core2Duo) Macbook Pro

anyone knows an alternative solution to it?

for those who never use FastAndSlow
it reduces the speed manually on menubar , so i don't have to run the fastest speed all the time, and i don't like how OSX handles dynamic processor speed adjustment

thanks in advanced
---
Apple Macbook Pro 2.2GHz 15inch 2GB DDR2 RAM
LED Backlight, OSX 10.5.1 Leopard

ibook_steve
Aug 7, 2007, 03:45 PM

What do you mean you "don't like how OSX handles dynamic processor speed adjustment?" What bothers you about it? I've never heard of this program (and don't see it on VT), but with the switch to Intel, I doubt there is any way for developers to make processor speed changes as they could in the old days (OS 9 to early OS X).

Steve

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 7, 2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
What do you mean you "don't like how OSX handles dynamic processor speed adjustment?" What bothers you about it? I've never heard of this program (and don't see it on VT), but with the switch to Intel, I doubt there is any way for developers to make processor speed changes as they could in the old days (OS 9 to early OS X).

Steve
one of the reason i would like to adjust the speed of my Macbook Pro is the heat issue

i prefer to use lower speed & lower voltage while just surfing the web

it's on Macupdate:
FastAndSlow 1.3.1 - MacUpdate
---

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2007, 06:44 PM

The Intel chips/chipsets have more advanced power managment, and will slow down to use the minimum number of cores, clockrate, and voltage (although there is a clockrate floor around 800Mhz with a corresponding low voltage) to complete the current workload. So when you're browsing the web it will be at 1 core and 800Mhz for simple pages, although flash will cause it to speed up due to the CPU use issues there.

I don't think there's really any advantage to be had by forcing a clockrate/voltage ceiling manually.

Zaurus  (op)
Aug 8, 2007, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The Intel chips/chipsets have more advanced power managment, and will slow down to use the minimum number of cores, clockrate, and voltage (although there is a clockrate floor around 800Mhz with a corresponding low voltage) to complete the current workload. So when you're browsing the web it will be at 1 core and 800Mhz for simple pages, although flash will cause it to speed up due to the CPU use issues there.

I don't think there's really any advantage to be had by forcing a clockrate/voltage ceiling manually.
i prefer controlling it manually

i don't mind to run stuff bit slower but with lower voltage (for cooling purpose)
---

Forum Links
Forum Rules