Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 23)
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Easy. They've started pricing harderware higher and higher. So to make it look more 'reasonable' they start including features such as you mention to make it look like less of a rip-off.
I see your point. im just glad Nintendo didnt get out of hand like Sony.

Personally, im the sort of person who'd gladly pay more for simplicity (example: iMac, iPod)

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 11:41 AM

I think the Wii will be successful enough. More successful than the GC thanks to a new Mario, the retro angle, and some polish.

However, unless Nintendo uses this experience to improve the next gen focus, the Wii will probably be more successful than whatever it follows it, too.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
I see your point. im just glad Nintendo didnt get out of hand like Sony.

Personally, im the sort of person who'd gladly pay more for simplicity (example: iMac, iPod)
But are you saying you'd pay the same price if it didn't do that extra crap you mentioned?

Nintendo probably thinks adding those features moves more units, but man, I bet that adds 5% more sales at BEST.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 11:44 AM

My prediction: Success

-Lower cost (hardware, software and services)
-Large library in development
-New innovative interface that is aimed towards non-gamers
-Small and quiet
-Healthy supply of units

Economically speaking.... lower price, uniqueness, healthy support and good supply = success

Oh....and for the record...higher specs does not equal success (PSP, XBox).

Cheers
Problems:

Lots of space NECESSARY for some games.
New controller might not be adopted by all users.
No Mario/Metroid until next year.
No third-party online until next year.
Nickel-and-diming users for recycled games.

They're banking on the low price and Zelda, and that's it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by starman
My predicition: Failure.
Really? From YOU? Of all people?

Well. Nintendo is certainly screwed if they don't have your vote of all people.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Really? From YOU? Of all people?

Well. Nintendo is certainly screwed if they don't have your vote of all people.
Do you honestly believe that this thing has a chance in hell vs. either the PS3 or 360?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 11:47 AM

I don't think anyone in here thinks the Wii is gonna get a comparable marketshare to the PS3 or 360. But make an inroads? Sure.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 11:48 AM

Do you honestly believe that this thing has a chance in hell vs. either the PS3 or 360?
Vs. the PS3? Yes. The PS3 is hardly an icon of perfection either.

I've always maintained it will be the Wii and the PS3 battling for 2nd. It's possible that the Wii could have the highest marketshare this round, but if anything else is going to win this round, it's going to be the 360.

Wii's launch will be a little slow, but as soon as Metroid, Mario, and Smash come out, I think sales will shoot through the roof. The PS3 just doesn't have those sort of games that everyone has to have.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 11:49 AM

Well, there I am. Wrong.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 14, 2006, 11:51 AM

Oh and for the record..... what the f*ck's up with the weird software ? i mean seriously, who turns on a console to view photos or check the news/weather ? they should have concentraded on gaming imo

It is totally, totally stupid. Even the photo slideshow is pointless as everything does that nowadays including iPods. Unless it can connect to your Mac or PC and grab photos like the 360 can who in the world is going to put pics they want to view on an SD card, slap it on the Wii and giggle at the pics with a group of friends all their waiting for you do fire everything up. Anyone who has a digital camera already has a computer and has already emailed select pics to all their friends.

The weather is just weird. Again, if you have net access for the Wii you already got a computer.

Old CRT TV's take time to warm up so you have to wait a while for the TV to warm, the Wii to fire up, connect to get weather, use the Wiimote to select the menu... at the end nobody will bother. Even more troubling modern TV's like DLP or LCD projection aren't meant to be turned on and off in short periods because it damages the powerful bulbs.

OK ALL THAT ASIDE.... what launch GAMES are there to be excited about? Zelda? Yes. That's it.
If even GoMac just want to lay on the bed to play zelda it doesn't sound like the whole point of the controller is being used all that well. Sure you can point to shoot a bow but you'll learn quick how tricky that will be 8 feet away from an 27" TV as a small movement will be amplified by then and you'll need to make micro-movements.

So in a way you are dammed if you have a high-def TV as their is no real support and in that press conference they couldn't even answer if games are in widescreen! You are also dammed if you have a standard TV as if they want to you play Golf, whatever try standing by a small TV and trying that.

"Hello, what have we here?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 11:51 AM

Well, there I am. Wrong.
I think that the PS3 won't go too well mostly because of Sony's own incompetence. The PS3 has Saturn written all over it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 11:52 AM

I don't think anyone in here thinks the Wii is gonna get a comparable marketshare to the PS3 or 360. But make an inroads? Sure.
goMac does

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
OK ALL THAT ASIDE.... what launch GAMES are there to be excited about? Zelda? Yes. That's it.
If even GoMac just want to lay on the bed to play zelda it doesn't sound like the whole point of the controller is being used all that well. Sure you can point to shoot a bow but you'll learn quick how tricky that will be 8 feet away from an 27" TV as a small movement will be amplified by then and you'll need to make micro-movements.
Lay on the bed? I'm not that lazy.

I was really looking forward to Zelda and Metroid at launch. Like I said, if Nintendo doesn't have more than Zelda at launch, it's going to be until 2007 until the Wii really starts to take off.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
I think that the PS3 won't go too well mostly because of Sony's own incompetence. The PS3 has Saturn written all over it.
I'm more in the N64 camp. It'll move units, but good bye dominance.

The launch date for the Wii seems completely insipid, too.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 11:54 AM

But are you saying you'd pay the same price if it didn't do that extra crap you mentioned?

Nintendo probably thinks adding those features moves more units, but man, I bet that adds 5% more sales at BEST.
Yeah ill still get it (AFTER TRYING IT of course).... im just saying i would have preferred the simplicity of a dedicated gaming machine. as far as more sales......meh.....i dont think this extra crap would push people over the line or get people interested i nthe first place. but thats my opinion.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 11:55 AM

goMac does
Yeah, I saw that and posted an admission right after the it, rollseyes.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 11:55 AM

Yeah ill still get it (AFTER TRYING IT of course).... im just saying i would have preferred the simplicity of a dedicated gaming machine. as far as more sales......meh.....i dont think this extra crap would push people over the line or get people interested i nthe first place. but thats my opinion.
Yeah, we pretty much agree.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 11:59 AM

My guess is it's all because Nintendo is running behind with the software, so they got some intern to write a photo program.

I'm guess the hardware is ready to go now, but the software for the system is what is holding it down. Not the worst position to be in, but this doesn't make the Wii's future look as assured as it did last week.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 12:01 PM

It is totally, totally stupid. Even the photo slideshow is pointless as everything does that nowadays including iPods. Unless it can connect to your Mac or PC and grab photos like the 360 can who in the world is going to put pics they want to view on an SD card, slap it on the Wii and giggle at the pics with a group of friends all their waiting for you do fire everything up. Anyone who has a digital camera already has a computer and has already emailed select pics to all their friends.

The weather is just weird. Again, if you have net access for the Wii you already got a computer.
Weren't you the one who was saying it's OK that PS3 costs eleventy billion dollars because it does a whole bunch of stuff other than games? And I didn't see the use of all that extraneous stuff?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:01 PM

Although im disappointed with the fact that there wont be Mario or Metroid at launch.... The sustainability those games will bring in the critical first 12 months is massive....and to have that vitamin shot every 60 days with a game like Mario, Metroid, Super Smash Brothers.... would be invaluable.

Nintendo could have splurged on the launch....and had a dry spell for the first 6 months....which would be disastrous. Or it can do what its doing now...which is giving each game it's time, and with each major game release boosting hardware sales for the platform.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 12:04 PM

Looking at the list of upcoming games for the Wii, I'm not really impressed.

At all.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:04 PM

Super Mario Galaxies looks just like an OLD PS2 games called Ratchet and clank that had mini worlds that were small planets with weird angles. If fact Mario somehow looks worse years later and hardware 6 years ahead.

Tell me I am wrong and Nintendo is being its trademark original/innovative self:

PS2:
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/ratchet2_042303_3.jpg

WII:
http://revolutionmedia.ign.com/revol...1041732195.jpg

Not to mention is isn't a true Mario and Super Mario Sunshine didn't help push Cube sales much, neither did Metroid really.
( Last edited by Landos Mustache; Sep 14, 2006 at 12:11 PM. )

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:05 PM

Although im disappointed with the fact that there wont be Mario or Metroid at launch.... The sustainability those games will bring in the critical first 12 months is massive....and to have that vitamin shot every 60 days with a game like Mario, Metroid, Super Smash Brothers.... would be invaluable.

Nintendo could have splurged on the launch....and had a dry spell for the first 6 months....which would be disastrous. Or it can do what its doing now...which is giving each game it's time, and with each major game release boosting hardware sales for the platform.
The problem is they can't hold Zelda back if they launched with a Mario. So maybe they held Mario instead...

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 12:06 PM

You know, after reading the transcription of the event in NY, I'm almost, ALMOST inclined to wait and buy a used one.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 12:07 PM

Looking at the list of upcoming games for the Wii, I'm not really impressed.

At all.
We know. We knew this last week.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane

Super Mario Galaxies looks just like an OLD PS2 games called Ratchet and clank that had mini worlds that were small planets with weird angles. If fact Mario somehow looks worse years later and hardware 6 years ahead.

Tell me I am wrong and Nintendo is being its trademark original/innovative self:

PS2:

WII:
IGN: Super Mario Galaxy Image

Not to mention is isn't a true Mario and Super Mario Sunshine didn't help push Cube sales much, neither did Metroid really.
I can't really tell what either game is like aside from the fact that both include large balls.
Chuck
___

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Weren't you the one who was saying it's OK that PS3 costs eleventy billion dollars because it does a whole bunch of stuff other than games? And I didn't see the use of all that extraneous stuff?

The difference is the PS3 doesn't tell you the weather... it has a built in High def Blu-ray player that retails for $1000. It has a hard drive, it serves media, etc.

You have no idea how bad DVD's look on my TV compared to high def, I would absolutely kill for a high def player so I am getting the PS3 for that reason alone.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:08 PM

The problem is they can't hold Zelda back if they launched with a Mario. So maybe they held Mario instead...
Thats exactly what i think happened. i mean they cant have a simultaneous GCN release 2-3 monhs into the Wii's lifespan.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:10 PM

Has anyone looked at the cost of the normal games also? $49 first party? That is only $10 less than most Xbox games!

Wii's 3rd party games are $59 which is pretty outrageous as you aren't even guaranteed widescreen let alone high def anything.

Do any of these games allow you to cancel out the games annoying selection of songs and play your own either from your iPod, Mac/PC or internet radio? My 360 allows that no problem and I use it in just about every game I play.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:11 PM

PS2:

WII:
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/7...g_3643940.html

try these screens of mario instead....

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/ar...4080418409.jpg

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/ar...4080419050.jpg

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/ar...4080417081.jpg

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/ar...3082931374.jpg

Also...this game has not been completed yet.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:13 PM

You know, after reading the transcription of the event in NY, I'm almost, ALMOST inclined to wait and buy a used one.
I think you should...i mean u do seem really underwelmed by it. I also think you should have wated for a second-hand PSP, seeing as how there are so many available...u would have saved a bundle.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:13 PM

Not be a dick, but man, all I see are jaggies.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:16 PM

try these screens of mario instead....

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/ar...4080418409.jpg

Also...this game has not been completed yet.
So? It still, it looks like the PS2 game. I couldn't find more images of those levels but trust me, it is the same thing even with the jumping between worlds from a launch pad. Yes the game isn't finished but in current from it looks much much worse than the PS2 game.

Graphics aside I already experienced it years ago so I don't want to play it again with Mario replacing the PS2 unofficial mascots.

BTW Ratchet and clank isn't one of those unknown games... it is a huge hit with many sequels out and more coming. For me just about any one of them way way more fun than any mario game in the last 8 years. Try it out.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 12:17 PM

I think you should...i mean u do seem really underwelmed by it. I also think you should have wated for a second-hand PSP, seeing as how there are so many available...u would have saved a bundle.
Uh, no, because I'm still impressed by the PSP.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:19 PM

For sure. Now keep in mind the PS2 was the one that developers complained about jaggies because of not enough video RAM... somehow they managed Hi-def on it that was smooth as silk when the more powerful gamecube and now it seems Wii also is jaggy.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:19 PM

So? It still, it looks like the PS2 game. I couldn't find more images of those levels but trust me, it is the same thing even with the jumping between worlds from a launch pad. Yes the game isn't finished but in current from it looks much much worse than the PS2 game.

Graphics aside I already experienced it years ago so I don't want to play it again with Mario replacing the PS2 unofficial mascots.

BTW Ratchet and clank isn't one of those unknown games... it is a huge hit with many sequels out and more coming. For me just about any one of them way way more fun than any mario game in the last 8 years. Try it out.
Well to me it looks better than PS2 games... And as far as Jaggies, i totally agree theyre eyesores.....but looking at other Wii-exclusive titles that are making launch, i dont see any. So its my opinion...that they havent completed the engine yet....seeing as how they have3-6 months before that game comes out (minimum)...i think we'll see a change for the better.

Besides...the controller was designed primarily with this game in mind. so im interested i nthe controller-game combo.

Oh...ive never played a 3D Mario game....ever. Unless the "New SMB"(DS) counts.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:25 PM

Oh...ive seen Ratche and Clank and those Jak n Daxter games on the PS2....visually mediocre imo....i mean....the shading is all the same (smooth) and the environments look too "industrial". Im sure theyre fine platformers... but visually i found them...."lifeless" (for lack of a better word)

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:28 PM

IGN: New Wii Titles Announced ...Thats a nice list. the variety is what i find appealing. not all racers and FPSs.

A video montage by IGN
http://movie.nintendo.co.jp/data/wii...vie_lineup.swf

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:30 PM

Besides...the controller was designed primarily with this game in mind. so im interested i nthe controller-game combo.

I dunno, at E3 didn't you shake the controller left and right to make him spin jump or something? that doesn't really add anything to the game for me or make it innovative. In fact in the 3D world like that it might actually do more harm than good, hurt your wrist, and can knock you off your mark.

Different doesn't mean better.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:32 PM

IGN: New Wii Titles Announced ...Thats a nice list. the variety is what i find appealing. not all racers and FPSs.
Which do you find appealing? So far everyone has said the games they look forward to the most is Red Steel (FPS) and excite truck (Ugly racing game).

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:43 PM

Mario Galaxy, Excite truck (1 racing)...Red Steel, Metroid (FPSs), Zelda, Resident Evil. Thats just from this pre-launch list.

For the PS3, i want Lair...thats it.

For the XB360.... nothing really.

So for me...the Wii still has the most number of games i want to play. Oh and the fact that its backwards compatible means i can get rid of my GCN but still be able to finish...OOT, RE(remake of the original), MP2 and Eternal Darkness(which i still havent started playing).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 12:48 PM

No kidding. WTF? I hope it's just bad resampling on those screenshots.
Chuck
___

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
No kidding. WTF? I hope it's just bad resampling on those screenshots.
That'd be my first thought.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 12:50 PM

Also, u gotta realize that they are aiming for the mass market, so dont expect a large number of games to appeal to the people who are posting here (including myself).

If they are trying to expand the gaming population...they will release titles like Nintendogs(which i have no interest in) and the like...and thats ok, cause there will be people trying this thing out just for those games.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 12:53 PM

Mario Galaxy, Excite truck (1 racing)...Red Steel, Metroid (FPSs), Zelda, Resident Evil. Thats just from this pre-launch list.

Waiiit a second here. You and goMac have mentioned that the PS3 and 360 is just sports games, FPS, fighting, horror survival and racing.

Then you say you are excited about the launch list because it is more than just FPS, fighting and racing and when ask what games you want you mention the racing ones, the FPS and the horror survival?

Uh huh.....

Weird thing is just about everyone wants the same games as you do.

For me the only game I want for wii is Zelda, but not even cuz of the contoller.. just cuz it is zelda, and by the looks of it it would look about the same on the cube but they knew that so they crippled the cube version with no widescreen to stimulate Wii sales. Not nice.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 01:03 PM

For the PS3, i want Lair...thats it.

For the XB360.... nothing really.

So for me...the Wii still has the most number of games i want to play. Oh and the fact that its backwards compatible means i can get rid of my GCN but still be able to finish...OOT, RE(remake of the original), MP2 and Eternal Darkness(which i still havent started playing).
You want Red Steel and Resident Evil but NOTHING on the 360?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 01:16 PM

Its not the console that i want. its the games thats are going to be on that console. And with the Wii, just cause its so different n fresh, i want the new interface.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 01:19 PM

What did we all witness today... Nintendo doesn't learn from its mistakes. 1 year ago they said the following "the sales of the gamecube were hurt because it didn't support DVD playback" and "Not having a Mario title at launch hurt sales" "People don't want to play games online (said around cube launch)".

Today we get:
"Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing and corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan, confirmed to IGN Wii today that its forthcoming Wii console will not play Hollywood DVD movies. The decision to remove the functionality was made in order to deliver the machine at a cheaper cost and because most people today already own DVD players."

And..
NO MARIO AT LAUNCH. An Mario like game in a few months.

And..
No online games till next year.

If this was sony some of you would be laughing your ass off at Sony's "Incompetence".

Ham Sandwich
Sep 14, 2006, 01:20 PM

Some Wii games look like a lot of them would be good "drunk party" games.

I don't understand the channels as others have said around the 'Net. Why the hell would I power all that crap on just to find out the weather or open a browser?

And their older, classic games are WAY too expensive.

Still getting one, though.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
Some Wii games look like a lot of them would be good "drunk party" games.

I can just see the marketing for that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules