Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you think the average IQ of a person is increasing?

View Poll Results: Do you think thte average IQ of a person is increasing?
Poll Options:
Yes 2 votes (13.33%)
No 13 votes (86.67%)
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll
Do you think the average IQ of a person is increasing?
theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2007, 10:13 AM

Do you think the average IQ of a person is increasing or decreasing, and this is in the world population not just each country?

Edit: Great, in the poll I make myself look like an idiot. Guess that is what I get for not proof reading.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 10:31 AM

What do you mean IQ which is a measurement of one's intelligence, or do you mean their education, knowledge and wisdom.

For instance, here in the states we could have an increasing population of higher IQ individuals but w/o an adequate education system we'll not be teaching and instructing them to their fullest potential.

Conversely there could be a European nation that may have a lower IQ population but a superior education system so their population is "smarter" even if they have a lower IQ
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Dec 3, 2007 at 10:56 AM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 10:54 AM

No.

Every day I see many fine examples of gross stupidity.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 10:55 AM

Depends. If you are an elitist you'll always believe people are getting dumber/are dumber than you are.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 11:08 AM

Well I just polished off a small bag of smart food popcorn so I'm feeling pretty intelligent right now.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 11:21 AM

No. Though I think that many believe they are getting smarter, but I fear that the masses are rapidly digressing to a state of barely conscious sheepdom. How else to explain to current state of world affairs.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 11:35 AM

One issue with our education system - at least in the states is that it appears to be dumbing down to the lowest common denominator. This is then heralded as the new better way to to instruct our children,

additionally the school hours are increased, recess is eliminated and the kids have 8 hours of homework. We're at a point where they're working almost 10 to 12 hours to get their school work done.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
No. Though I think that many believe they are getting smarter, but I fear that the masses are rapidly digressing to a state of barely conscious sheepdom. How else to explain to current state of world affairs.
People have been saying this for about every decade for as long as I can remember.

zipperzap
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2007, 11:58 AM

On this forum?
Scott

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
People have been saying this for about every decade for as long as I can remember.
That, and going to Mars.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by zipperzap View Post
On this forum?
Well of course not. But I fail to see how that is even relevant.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 12:27 PM

Well, since you asked if I "think thte [sic] average IQ of a person is increasing," I would have to ask who you are referring to, specifically.

So far, I'd vote NO.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 12:52 PM

Yeah, it's cuz of all that radiation we're exposed to these days.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2007, 01:17 PM

Well of course not. But I fail to see how that is even relevant.
I think his comment was in reply to the OP, not your post.

No, I don’t believe we, as a species, are getting smarter. We continually acquire new knowledge, but we also continually lose valuable old knowledge.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 01:23 PM

So what are you saying ? That it has been true for decades ?

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
No, I don’t believe we, as a species, are getting smarter. We continually acquire new knowledge, but we also continually lose valuable old knowledge.
I don't doubt that sometimes useful things are forgotten, but it seems to me that we're more likely to gain knowledge than to lose valuable old knowledge. If the knowledge is actually valuable and isn't kept totally secret, natural selection should help to keep it around.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't doubt that sometimes useful things are forgotten, but it seems to me that we're more likely to gain knowledge than to lose valuable old knowledge. If the knowledge is actually valuable and isn't kept totally secret, natural selection should help to keep it around.
I worded that badly. What I meant was that we continually acquire new information that is or is becoming important/valuable for our current life style, while we continually lose information that was important/valuable in earlier life styles.

And I’m talking about ‘us’ on quite a large scale here, of course. There are still people who know how to build a kayak from a tree trunk using nothing but a piece of string and a banana, but it’s not ubiquitous common knowledge anymore, even among Native American tribes.

(Yes, I do know how to build a kayak from a tree trunk using nothing but a piece of string and a banana. No, I’m not telling you, you’ll have to figure it out for yourself.)

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 01:58 PM

I think his comment was in reply to the OP, not your post.
In that case, it yet again shows the value in the quoting system.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2007, 02:44 PM

I think people are and can be more capable, but it seems like people are just caring less and less.

My IQ went down 20 points just by reading YouTube comments. How do people that stupid operate a computer? Damn you Apple!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 03:00 PM

Yes - it's a very well-established phenomenon, called the Flynn Effect. You have to do much better on an IQ test today than 50-70 years ago to receive the same score, because the norms are so much higher. IMO, some of that is probably artificial (i.e., we're just superficially more familiar with standardized testing), but I think we're also genuinely more intelligent by any legitimate definition of that term.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Yes - it's a very well-established phenomenon, called the Flynn Effect. You have to do much better on an IQ test today than 50-70 years ago to receive the same score, because the norms are so much higher. IMO, some of that is probably artificial (i.e., we're just superficially more familiar with standardized testing), but I think we're also genuinely more intelligent by any legitimate definition of that term.
Oddly, though, you have to get 20 per cent fewer correct answers in a high school maths test to get an A now than twenty years ago (at least here), which would seem like the opposite effect.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2007, 03:15 PM

Oddly, though, you have to get 20 per cent fewer correct answers in a high school maths test to get an A now than twenty years ago (at least here), which would seem like the opposite effect.
Yeah, it is funny that grade inflation has occurred at the same time as IQ increases. And here's one consequence of that: it used to be that high school GPA was a better predictor of college GPA than standardized tests like the SAT or ACT. That is no longer the case. It's pretty pathetic that a test taken in an hour or two predicts the future better than the years of work that are supposed to be measured by GPA.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Yeah, it is funny that grade inflation has occurred at the same time as IQ increases. And here's one consequence of that: it used to be that high school GPA was a better predictor of college GPA than standardized tests like the SAT or ACT. That is no longer the case. It's pretty pathetic that a test taken in an hour or two predicts the future better than the years of work that are supposed to be measured by GPA.
Ha...I WISH my ACT score predicted anything about my college GPA.

Forum Links
Forum Rules