Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Installing a Linux desktop environment in OS X

Installing a Linux desktop environment in OS X
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2011, 04:14 PM

So, I miss themes. Shapeshifter no longer works, and I get restless with using Aqua all the time. Initially I wanted to try dual installing Linux simply for the ability to customize my desktop environment. But that seemed a bit excessive to install a new operating system just to get its fancy windows and cool folder icons, so I got to thinking:

Since OS X, is it possible to replace Aqua with a Linux/Unix desktop environment like Gnome or KDE?

I was able to install a RedHat variant on my iMac DV years ago (LinuxPPC, I believe), so I'm not completely incapable of tinkering safely with this stuff....
...anyway, I just wanted to know if this was possible, what people thought of the idea, and if anyone had any tips or suggestions.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

P
Dec 14, 2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Miniryu View Post
Since OS X, is it possible to replace Aqua with a Linux/Unix desktop environment like Gnome or KDE?
Not and keep running Mac programs. If you run X11, you can install one of them there to run programs made for X11, but Mac programs will keep looking like Mac programs.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2012, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Not and keep running Mac programs. If you run X11, you can install one of them there to run programs made for X11, but Mac programs will keep looking like Mac programs.
Drat. Oh well. Thanks for the reply.

What about if I were to only run GNU programs? Is it possible to install GNU over Darwin (I think that's how it would work) or would it be easier to just do an entire Linux install? I have a spare G4 and G5 (both PPC) laying around to tinker with that I don't use otherwise.

My website

P
Jan 12, 2012, 03:44 AM

It's easier to just make a complete Linux installation.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2012, 06:33 AM

What about Mint?, didn't try it myself, hence the question…

Mint also runs on G5

Linux MintPPC | fast and slick Linux for PPC computers

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 12, 2012, 03:23 PM

No, cause Aqua is not an X11 based window manager, it is tethered to OS X. I'd kind of like it to be though, so that X11 forwarding would work with Aqua apps.

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2012, 03:26 PM

Cool! Thanks for the assistance and the quick replies

I am going to try and give MintPPC a shot, it seems simple enough. Thanks again.

My website

Forum Links
Forum Rules