Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Social Networks. Fad?

Social Networks. Fad?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2013, 09:50 PM

Joined Facebook and LinkedIn in 2010-ish, primarily due to peer pressure.

Haven't used Twitter (or even know much about it) and i'm sure there's a bunk of networks out there I haven't even heard of. I haven't used my LinkedIn for a year (and the only reason I used it the last time was to change my password). I also find that my frequency on Facebook is sliding, it went from once a day to once a week if that.

It really feels/felt like a fad to me. What social networks do you guys frequent? Or have you become disenchanted with the whole 'social networks' thing?

Cheers

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2013, 10:23 PM

Facebook seems useful to normies.

I had my 60-year-old aunt try to convert me. She said (in her southern drawl) "you have to be on Facebook. Everybody's on Facebook. I'm on Facebook."

I couldn't help myself. I said "that's precisely why I'm not on Facebook".

Phileas
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2013, 11:09 PM

Every single technology that has helped humans to be more social has succeeded. The printing press, the telegraph, the telephone, the TV, radio, the list goes on. So, while individual companies, like Facebook or twitter, might miss the mark and go under, social networking itself will not.

Why? Because we're genetically programmed to be a social, cultural species. It's too late tonight to go into detail about this, but check out Wired for Culture by Mark Pagel if you're interested in this kind of thing.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2013, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Facebook seems useful to normies.

I had my 60-year-old aunt try to convert me. She said (in her southern drawl) "you have to be on Facebook. Everybody's on Facebook. I'm on Facebook."

I couldn't help myself. I said "that's precisely why I'm not on Facebook".
So hipster.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 12:53 AM

I don't need another way to blow people off.

mindwaves
Sep 29, 2013, 05:19 AM

I am only on 2 relatively unknown social network sites. I don't use my real name and never post anything that will disclose something particular about me (besides my vacation pictures, food, etc). Keeps me relatively anonymous.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2013, 03:19 PM

tinfoilhat.com & conspiracytheorist.org?

What make you think you're so special as to warrant such silly precautions?

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2013, 04:43 PM

I have a FB and Linkedin accounts, but never use them. Just don't feel a need to share my life beyond a close circle of friends, with whom emailing texting and phoning is much more satisfying, it feels more personal.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
I have a FB and Linkedin accounts, but never use them. Just don't feel a need to share my life beyond a close circle of friends, with whom emailing texting and phoning is much more satisfying, it feels more personal.
Thats my thinking as well. Im not "anti social" (maybe just anti-online-social ). The close friends and family who i keep in touch with regularily i do so using phone/email. And whats the point of having them on a social network when we communicate directly anyway?

Maybe its a good idea for friends and aquaintences who have faded away or are geographically separated? But even then direct contact is so rare that theres almost no point to it imho.

Ive noticed many friends just wish those distant friends on their birthdays so it functions as an online birthday calendar. Big whoop.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 08:41 PM

LinkedIn is quite useful while you're recruiting or looking for new talent.

-t

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2013, 09:45 PM

I like the idea, but don't really like the appeal to childish design and marketing. A friends list? Ugh. Call it what it is; a contact list. In fact the whole name "facebook" is stupid; and so is the phrase "social network".

Problem is fb came out marketing to college kids originally then failed to evolve as people got older. Many people just have an account as a relic from the past.

But if you look past those things and think about it, it's just the modern photo album + email + chat + phone book, except it gives you more control over who can look up your info than a phone book ever did. I don't know about you guys, but back in my rotary days where I's from we didn't ask for numbers much, we just found people and their addresses in the public book.

I like looking at people's albums it puts me in a good mood to see people having fun with their adventures.... Gives me ideas... Also easier for me to upload photos just once rather than send them to each person who wants them. I also like the grouped by contact messaging system, way better than email... and no spam.

When I drowned my phone (which I'd become dependent on) in a foreign country facebook was the only way to get in contact with other members of my party... or anybody anywhere, it kinda saved me. I could use it as a chat box from a computer to their phones. As far as phone calls being more personal; sure but phones don't work for those of us hard of hearing; phone calls don't work for people who are very busy.

But I know what you're saying about the whole social networking thing being a fad, people are going a bit too crazy over it; I hope tweeting and what not dies.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2013, 10:00 PM

I got talked into MySpace. Was a waste of time. Haven't signed up for Facebook. I see my family in person an email and chat works for friends out of the area.

I do have a LinkedIn account. I'm not sold on its usefulness for job hunting. The spam quotient has been going up.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2013, 10:01 PM

The anti-twitter thing surprises me. One of the reasons Facebook bothers me is it's filled with ephemera.

Twitter is supposed to be ephemera. I'm much happier with it there.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2013, 12:42 AM

That's a great way to put it. Ephemera, transitory puffs of smoke, with significant ripples effects.

mindwaves
Sep 30, 2013, 02:32 AM

I like my privacy and my personal information kept confidential.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2013, 10:02 AM

I use FB to keep in touch with people from the olden days. I've gotten some interest on my resume because of LinkedIn, so that has its use as well.

Everything else can suck it. I still don't get the draw of Twitter. I'm trying to use it to get the word out about Maclassic, but I really have no idea what I'm doing.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2013, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'm trying to use it to get the word out about Maclassic, but I really have no idea what I'm doing.
Just tweet something scandalous then the sh*t storm will get on all the news sites. Like many things you either have to already be famous or get in early.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 30, 2013, 10:41 AM

Social networks are not a fad. They will however evolve and older ones will die. I've all but stopped using Facebook. I like twitter but I don't read it very often.

andi*pandi
Sep 30, 2013, 11:24 AM

A while back, the husband and I are both in our office online, he's working, I'm surfing. After a while I tell him, "god, I'm so bored, I am actually checking my Twitter."

Forum Links
Forum Rules