Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbook keyboards, are they still translucent? Sean/Jay?

New Powerbook keyboards, are they still translucent? Sean/Jay?
sunkist
Banned
Nov 12, 2002, 12:08 AM

This picture:

http://www.sowelu.com/storage/pbkb.jpg which orignated from http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/pbg4/0211pbg4.html appears to show a solid color keyboard. Could Sean or Jay verify or deny that this shows the correct state of the new (or old if possible) keyboards on the Powerbook?

Thanks!,
-Chris

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 12:25 AM

More importantly, the font used for "PowerBook" has been changed. I guess Apple Garamond is dead!!

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by sunkist:
http://www.sowelu.com/storage/pbkb.jpg which orignated from http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/pbg4/0211pbg4.html appears to show a solid color keyboard. Could Sean or Jay verify or deny that this shows the correct state of the new (or old if possible) keyboards on the Powerbook?
Doesn't look like a actual picture, but a computer generated mock-up.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

thebunny
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2002, 12:49 AM

LOL! Computer mock-up? Even the one from Apple's own site?

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 12:53 AM

Just a guess on my part. But doesn't look like a photo to me.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 12:55 AM

Most people should know that images off of Apple's site are actually 3-D computer generated models. If you didn't, now you do Thats another reason why the Quicksilver mold lines didn't appear on the PowerMac imges.
As for the keyboard, its pretty much the same. It's recessed a very small bit and seems a bit tactile, but I can't say its much of a difference. Yes, the new font on the powerbook is the Myrad. In all honesty I can't say there's much of a cosmetic difference in the keyboards. I havn't been able to compare two side-by-side yet. If anything its less translucent or about the same.
Am I still here?

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 01:00 AM

Sidenote: Upon closer inspection, I'm inclined to say the keyboard's appearance hasn't changed.
Am I still here?

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 01:01 AM

Most people should know that images off of Apple's site are actually 3-D computer generated models. If you didn't, now you do Thats another reason why the Quicksilver mold lines didn't appear on the PowerMac imges.
As for the keyboard, its pretty much the same. It's recessed a very small bit and seems a bit tactile, but I can't say its much of a difference. Yes, the new font on the powerbook is the Myrad. In all honesty I can't say there's much of a cosmetic difference in the keyboards. I havn't been able to compare two side-by-side yet. If anything its less translucent or about the same.
Am I still here?

xtro
Nov 12, 2002, 10:44 AM

That is NOT a computer generated image. It's a photo that has obviously been retouched extensively. (also the reason the mold lines were absent in the photos)

Quit spewing misinformation around like you know what you're talking about.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 11:04 AM

Check out the PC-card slot in the first and the last pic. They are different (-ly raytraced/rendered?).

Regards,
PB.
( Last edited by Powerbook; Nov 12, 2002 at 12:59 PM. )

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 11:56 AM

I vote 3-D rendering (the speaker looks a little too flat, there's no edge or radius where the screen and diplay border meet).

Apple does all its computer industrial design work in Alias|wavefront's AutoStudio. It's much simpler to render out the models than to have them photographed then Photoshop the **** out of them (plus it aids in security). I would bet all the QTVRs of the products are 3-D models. Alias provides a free plug-in for such a task.

Alias has a quiz where one can decide if it's a real product or a 3-D rendering.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2002, 01:15 PM

http://www.sowelu.com/storage/pbkb.jpg is most certainly a 3D rendering. As an illustrator /photrealist painter/computer graphics, it is not a photo.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

xtro
Nov 12, 2002, 01:19 PM

Yes it is.

Blah.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 01:31 PM

you know computers have come a long way when we (as computer expertes and alike) can tell reality from 3D render....bravo to tech!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
I vote 3-D rendering (the speaker looks a little too flat, there's no edge or radius where the screen and diplay border meet).

Apple does all its computer industrial design work in Alias|wavefront's AutoStudio. It's much simpler to render out the models than to have them photographed then Photoshop the **** out of them (plus it aids in security). I would bet all the QTVRs of the products are 3-D models. Alias provides a free plug-in for such a task.

Alias has a quiz where one can decide if it's a real product or a 3-D rendering.
OK. Got only 7 out of 10, but I had my suspicions with 2 of the ones I got wrong. (ie. two I thought looked pretty real, but a little too perfect. The last one I got wrong I was fairly sure was a fake, but it was real.)

Thus, I decree, with a 70% degree of certainty, that the keyboard photo is a 3D rendered picture. Actually, to my uneducated eye, that picture looks a helluvalot more rendered than almost everything on the Alias web test (except the face picture).

Vanquish
Nov 12, 2002, 02:38 PM

I've got 10 out of 10 !!! (on the first try that is !)

proof:
Excellent, a superior performance--ten out of ten answers were correct.

BTW: the TiBook is defintely fake.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 02:59 PM

9/10. I missed the four glasses pic.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by xtro:
That is NOT a computer generated image. It's a photo that has obviously been retouched extensively. (also the reason the mold lines were absent in the photos)

Quit spewing misinformation around like you know what you're talking about.
Do you work for Apple? Does Apple send you packets of information in regard to product marketing? No, so get YOUR facts straight before you even start to discredit my information
Am I still here?

xtro
Nov 12, 2002, 06:57 PM

Jesus... you obviously know nothing about 3D rendering. That image is not computer generated. Simple as that.

What color is the sky in your world, anyway?

And yes, I do know people at Apple. Do YOU?

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 07:03 PM

I work for Apple. I know for a FACT that all images on Apple are computer generated 3D models. Simple as that. Where's my proof you ask? Go talk to Jobs on a conference call.
Am I still here?

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 07:06 PM

btw, I use Maya, Lightwave and many other apps as a living...so obviously I do know something about 3D rendering, modeling, NURBS, Particles, key frames, stages, casts and so many more things it'd make your head spin. I'm not about to get into a pissing contest here...I just know, simple as that, and you don't--you'd rather say whatever the hell you want rather than be right, like me. Get lost, honestly.
Am I still here?

xtro
Nov 12, 2002, 07:31 PM

I can Google up some nice 3D terminology too. Key frames? Stages? Throwing around generic 3D terms makes you look like a genius, right?

I know my way around Lightwave and Cinema 4D too pal, but me posting words from their manuals makes me look like I'm trying too hard (sound familiar?) so I won't bother.

I know for a FACT that all images on Apple are computer generated 3D models.
ALL the images? That is completely and utterly stupid. Look around man, there are a few that are extensively touched up, but others that are not even questionable - they are photos.

Wait, we should all read your sig and bow our heads to you. Why not add your bank balance while you're at it.
( Last edited by vmarks; Nov 12, 2002 at 08:26 PM. )

msykes
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by xtro:
I can Google up some nice 3D terminology too. Key frames? Stages? Throwing around generic 3D terms makes you look like a genius, right?

I know my way around Lightwave and Cinema 4D too pal, but me posting words from their manuals makes me look like I'm trying too hard (sound familiar?) so I won't bother.

ALL the images? That is completely and utterly stupid. Look around man, there are a few that are extensively touched up, but others that are not even questionable - they are photos.

Wait, we should all read your sig and bow our heads to you. Bragging prick. Why not add your bank balance while you're at it.
Funny, I read this thread just after reading another one where it had to be explained to people that threads got closed because of whining and insulting of other members.

Everyone take a deep breath, or seven. Not to mention that whether or not the image is a photoshopped picture or a 3D mock up or a children's drawing is pretty much irrelevant since they can all be "faked". Are the new keyboards solid or translucent, that's the question?

The solid looks pretty cool, but I have a feeling it would show the wear marks on the keys a little easier (anyone with a well-used Lombard/Pismo/Wallstreet will know what I'm talking about here on the palm rests)

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 12, 2002, 08:24 PM

(blows whistle)

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

This is a simple light-hearted topic, telling computer rendered images from photographs, and asking about the translucence of the Powerbook keyboard. It didn't have to turn into a full blown assault.

Yes, many many marketing images for Apple Computer are 3d rendered, not photographed and retouched. Nearly every product image that does not appear with a person is rendered by a computer.

More importantly, it is simply not cool for people to show this much rancor and agression towards each other over such a small topic. Not in this forum, anyway.

JayTi, you're right, but being right doesn't mean much when you're winning an argument on the internet. I don't know if I would go advertising being employed by Apple when you're so angry, it doesn't really reflect well on you as a representative of Apple- which is precisely what you set yourself up as , when you say who you work for.

xtro, you cannot come in here and call people names, insult their intelligence, and generally offend people because they disagree with you.

Everyone agreed to be civil when they signed up for a user account here.

Knock it off.

Thanks,

vmarks
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2002, 11:06 PM

cool with me, I apologize, xtro-I'm venting. Yes the keyboards are translucent, that enough for everyone?
Am I still here?

xtro
Nov 12, 2002, 11:13 PM

Ah, I guess I let my temper get the best of me.

Sorry guys, won't happen again.

yzeater
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 11:39 AM

Just as a side note, I got next to my PB at the same angle as that image, and the keyboard did not look translucent at all

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 11:58 AM

Definitely translucent.

The previous poster is right, if you do just the right angle and lighting, they don't look that way, though. Top-down view, very translucent looking.
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 04:00 PM

This will be my first ever Mac and I just want to say that all of you are extremely picky about everything down to the very font of the Powerbook logo as stated in other threads. Not a bad thing, I do admire the passion you have

jambajooz
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2002, 04:15 PM

sunkist  (op)
Banned
Nov 13, 2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
This is a simple light-hearted topic, telling computer rendered images from photographs, and asking about the translucence of the Powerbook keyboard. It didn't have to turn into a full blown assault.
My dad always did call me a troublemaker

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2002, 10:16 PM

You can tell it's a computer rendering because the screen image goes all the way to the metal frame. On a real TiBook there is a black border around the image.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules