Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New PowerBooks: Airport Range And Other Questions

New PowerBooks: Airport Range And Other Questions
macndave
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 11:10 PM

Okay...I know I am suffering from technolust as I've more Macs than I need, but the thought of being able to consolidate all my computing needs into one PowerBook 1Ghz with a Superdrive is very attractive.

For those who have received their new PowerBooks, what has been your experience with 802.11x (Airport) range? My PowerBook 800mhz DVI sometimes cuts out when moving from the first floor to the second in a townhouse.

Also, is the speaker volume any louder? But are the two stage fans more quiet (than the 800mhz).

If you've done any video work (preferrable Final Cut Pro, or iMovie), are you experiencing frame drops on with the 4200rpm drive?

Anyone running VPC 5.0.4? Noticeable performance increase?

Finally, what are good "ebay" bid expectations for an 800mhz and 500mhz BTO Powerbooks?

1.5Ghz AlBook G4 + 20" Cinema Display
Cable Modem via Airport Express
iSight Enabled @ dmwilsonh

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2002, 11:50 PM

So far it works well. My Access point (Linksys WAP11 v2.2) is upstairs, and I usually use the TiBook downstairs on the couch...connects at 11mb/s and full bar. My whole house works fine. (1ghz TiBook)

I don't notice the fans really, at least the sound..at least it doesn't bother me. I do notice when it turns on though by feeling them start spinning.

VPC 5.04 is acceptable here, I just run Visio in it sometimes along with ISS Internet Scanner. Guest OS is Win2k and I gave it 256mb (out of my 1GB).

Christina (can't answer your other questions)

Originally posted by macndave:
Okay...I know I am suffering from technolust as I've more Macs than I need, but the thought of being able to consolidate all my computing needs into one PowerBook 1Ghz with a Superdrive is very attractive.

For those who have received their new PowerBooks, what has been your experience with 802.11x (Airport) range? My PowerBook 800mhz DVI sometimes cuts out when moving from the first floor to the second in a townhouse.

Also, is the speaker volume any louder? But are the two stage fans more quiet (than the 800mhz).

If you've done any video work (preferrable Final Cut Pro, or iMovie), are you experiencing frame drops on with the 4200rpm drive?

Anyone running VPC 5.0.4? Noticeable performance increase?

Finally, what are good "ebay" bid expectations for an 800mhz and 500mhz BTO Powerbooks?
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

jhunt5247
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2002, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Christina:

VPC 5.04 is acceptable here, I just run Visio in it sometimes along with ISS Internet Scanner.
Try nmap, and it will run natively.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2002, 12:11 AM

I'm finding AirtPort performance to be much, much, much better than on my old 400MHz PowerBook. I'm using an old G4 Tower as the base station.

Christina
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2002, 01:16 AM

nmap does like nothing compared to ISS, unfortunately. The closest thing is nessus (which actually runs nmap to get some port #s). Mainly I have to use 2+ tools at a time, as clients don't like just a couple.

To make this sorta on topic, airport is a blast!
Originally posted by jhunt5247:

Try nmap, and it will run natively.
TiBook - 1GHz, 1GBB, 60GB HD, Combo Drive

kluau88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2002, 01:20 AM

Christina:

Do you have any wireless phones in your house? Specifically wondering if you have any 2.4 Ghz phones.

NY152
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2002, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by Christina:
VPC 5.04 is acceptable here, I just run Visio in it sometimes along with ISS Internet Scanner. Guest OS is Win2k and I gave it 256mb (out of my 1GB).

Christina.

I am awaiting the arrival of my 1 GHz TiBook and plan on installing VPC 5.04 as well (with Windows XP.) Can you elaberate somewhat on your experiences, pros and cons while using it on your new TiBook. Do you use it under OS X or OS 9? I am presently running it on my iBook 500 (dual USB) and it is unusable with OS X and painfully slow under OS 9.

Thanks.
<over-large signature edited by management>

Forum Links
Forum Rules