Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Newcomer needs advice!

Newcomer needs advice!
noxoliver
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 07:38 PM

Hello,

Pretty soon I will buy my first Powerbook ( 12" 1 Ghz Combo) , wh�ch will be also my first apple. Although, I have some knwoledge about Apple- Powerbooks & Co. I would need some specific answers.
I am sorry if I ask old question but this board is a little bit to overcrowded with topics.

1: What are the major differences between the new iBooks and the Powerbooks. Well, I know the Powerbookas are more powerfull but a 12" Powerbook compared to a 14" 1 Ghz ibook?

2: I want use the powerbook for some movie editing, gaming, writing, etc. Are 512 DDR266 SDRAM and 60 GB enough?

3: Do I need a second battery?

4: Powerbook 12" has only a Mini-Div output, no S-video. Although I do not think will need both of them, what are yor experinces? Should I buy a 15" for better performances ...??

5: Which programms or advices can you give somebody like me ??

Well, that`s it I know I do not aks something new but it is hard to find good information.

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2004, 08:00 PM

In my experience the powerbook has always been the better performing, more expandable "bigger brother" to the ibook.

512 MB RAM should be the minimum for what you are doing. 60 GB is good to start out, but you might consider getting either the 80 gig HD or getting an external firewire drive.

I've never used S-video before. I have the 15'' powerbook and I use dual desktops with my sony trinitron monitor (17'', I do graphics work the extra real estate is nice) If you have a second monitor you should be all set on that.

As far as software, it depends on what you're doing. For DV and photo, definitely iMovie, maybe Final Cut Pro, definitely photoshop.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by noxoliver:
Hello,

Pretty soon I will buy my first Powerbook ( 12" 1 Ghz Combo) , wh�ch will be also my first apple. Although, I have some knwoledge about Apple- Powerbooks & Co. I would need some specific answers.
I am sorry if I ask old question but this board is a little bit to overcrowded with topics.
nice move. i am very sure you will be very pleased with your powerbook. i have the same model, but with the superdrive. it is an awesome laptop.

1: What are the major differences between the new iBooks and the Powerbooks. Well, I know the Powerbookas are more powerfull but a 12" Powerbook compared to a 14" 1 Ghz ibook?
now that the ibook has a g4 the gap between them (12" pb and ibooks) have been made a lot smaller. not to take away sales from the 12" powerbook apple has, for lack of a better word, crippled the ibook somewhat. crippled is not a perfect word, since the market the ibook is aimed at does not really need all the missing features.

if apple offered the 12" ibook at the same clock speeds as the 14" ibook, i do not think the 12" powerbook would sell all that well. that is my theory why the 12" ibook is only at 800mhz. but still fine for a lot of things. my friend has my old g3 800 ibook 12" and she is loving it and it is serving her well.

the main difference between the powerbook and the ibook is that the powerbook has the ability for more memory since it has 256 opposed to 128 soldered on. the powerbook can have a superdrive. the powerbook has audio line in. and the powerbook has the mini-dvi output.
in my opinion this is the main reason i went with the powerbook. i went to the apple store to look at a 17" apple monitor when i owned my ibook but i was told that since it only had vga out it would not work with the apple monitor.

2: I want use the powerbook for some movie editing, gaming, writing, etc. Are 512 DDR266 SDRAM and 60 GB enough?
i have an extra 512mb in my powerbook, taking it to 768mb of memory, and it is fast. the extra memory and the larger harddrive will be perfectly fine for you. if you start to do some serious dv video editing you might want to look at an external firewire harddrive.

3: Do I need a second battery?
i have been traveling a lot lately and i was contemplating buying another battery, but i have been okay with only one. when traveling i put the cpu on lower speed and drop the backlight brightness to save battery. i read somewhere that laptop batteries should not be left unused for too long. so if you do get another one, check that fact up. (i could be wrong)

4: Powerbook 12" has only a Mini-Div output, no S-video. Although I do not think will need both of them, what are yor experinces? Should I buy a 15" for better performances ...??
the powerbook comes with a mini-dvi > vga and mini-dvi > dvi adaptor in the box, and you can buy a mini-dvi > video adaptor at the apple store. i bought this and it gives s-video and rca(?) (the yellow white red plugs) output. i use the s-video to output to my tv as a second monitor, to watch movies mostly.

5: Which programms or advices can you give somebody like me ??
you might want to think about a mac os book. i have heard good things about them for first timers. if you are happy with just playing with the os, and asking questions on this board, i am sure you will do fine. i switched a year ago and asked many questions on this board, the people here are very helpful. in general the mac community is very helpful.

applications. i suggest browsing the software section of this board, you can always post questions there if you need a piece of software that you used to use on windows. someone will most probably tell you of a mac alternative.

Well, that`s it I know I do not aks something new but it is hard to find good information.
enjoy your purchase... and welcome

noxoliver  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2004, 08:24 PM

Well, I thank you mdc and anaphora68 for the answers !!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules