Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is this why we get powerbooks?

Is this why we get powerbooks?
Groovy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2004, 04:18 PM

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2004, 04:21 PM

two years of hard work and he never backed anything up . . . what a fool

kpne1home
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2004, 04:22 PM

lol, woah. Kinda mouthy, just a warning for everyone.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 05:47 PM

Looks like we just lost the next great American novel, folks...

Adopt-A-Yankee

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2004, 06:05 PM

Hahahahahahaha, he's the dumb ass the first place for not backing up his work.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

flanders
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2004, 06:46 PM

Who has that much work just sitting on a laptop? How would he feel if it was just stolen or dropped? Get a grip man, and a backup device.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2004, 06:47 PM

Not particularly funny at all really.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2004, 07:23 PM

I'm amazed at the number of people who do all this hard work and never back anything up. All my documents on my home machine are backed up daily, automatically.
Which is cheaper, a $200 backup device or re-doing two years worth of work?

gbarill
Mar 5, 2004, 08:57 PM

but until something like this happens to you for the first time, $200 seems like an awful lot... (and almost always an external HD or some other device will end up costing much more than this...)

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2004, 09:40 PM

Heard this one a while ago... yeah I agree he should have backed it up, but partially Canon's fault.

Abit667
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2004, 09:48 PM

Yeah two years is a little long for not backing up something you care that much about, but I guess he couldn't really do anything about it if his motherboard died in the laptop and he didn't have another one to swap the drive with.

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2004, 10:37 PM

That is funny, he deserves it, how many times do they tell you they are not responsible for lost data, and to backup your stuff before you send in your computer.
Mr. CaN

Chulo
Mar 5, 2004, 11:39 PM

In real life I guess this wouldn't be funny but in this case (if that call were real) it sounded histerical!! I've made mistakes in my life and have lost some data but not like that. Two years worth?? What an idiot!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 6, 2004, 01:17 PM

Gee, you send away the only copy of two years worth of work? That's not too smart.

tooki

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2004, 03:18 PM

Canon makes computers?!

I just did a search, and I had trouble finding any evidence of that...

Always back up your data.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 03:34 PM

His attitude is SO going to help get his hard drive fixed.

Sad though..but happens every day somewhere.

I back up...but now I have so many external firewire drives with various backups I doubt I could find everything again anyhow. lol

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2004, 04:16 PM

Well, just goes to show you the importance of backing up once in a while.

No pity for that guy. Feel bad for whoever had to answer that call though. I work at a computer help desk, man what a tough job sometimes.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by NYCFarmboy:
I back up...but now I have so many external firewire drives with various backups I doubt I could find everything again anyhow. lol
So true in a way

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 04:06 AM

Obviously this is a made up joke. Canon doesn't make computers. He specifically said it was a Canon laptop computer unless this computer is something that was made by Canon in the early ages then this is just something stupid that was put on the internet for entertainment.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Groovy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
Obviously this is a made up joke. Canon doesn't make computers. He specifically said it was a Canon laptop computer unless this computer is something that was made by Canon in the early ages then this is just something stupid that was put on the internet for entertainment.
yes they did. and all you needed to do was a google search.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ca...=Google+Search

obviously that recording is a few years old

Riemann Zeta
Mar 11, 2004, 03:16 PM

Dumbass, some people are so stupid that they shouldn't be allowed to use computers. Unfortunately, long ago when I worked as a sys admin (and was relegated to dial-and-smile work one day / week), I met many of them. The funniest I ever encountered was a person using his laptop in machine shop--he placed his machine directly next to an exhaust vent and wondered why the bottom of the case melted
God is just a statistic...

webb3201
Senior User
Mar 11, 2004, 07:15 PM

I had a Canon machine once....along with a Motorla, NEC ,hitachi and TI machines ( I worked for a logistics company that processed warranties for these folks) All very similar and very mediocre. The only machines I like from this period were my Motorla Star Max clones. I still have a C600 running OS 8.1 at home.

But to the point....whatever he lost, he deserved to lose. regardless of what you are told at time of call, never send in any data you have not backed up. There are so many things that could cost you your data along the way.

When I sent in my previous Powerbooks, I would install the stock harddrives with a bare install OS. They had been replaced with larger ones from day one but kept for warranty returns.

Note, I dont know what I will do with my 12"Al, as I cannot replace that drive as easily.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Mar 12, 2004, 01:12 AM

Canon used to make neat laptops with built-in inkjet printers. They were cool, but never really caught on with consumers.

But the thing is, I would never send away my only copy of the data. Imagine if Canon had fixed his machine, left his data 100% intact, and then the package got lost/damaged on the way back! I wouldn't trust my only copy of 2 years' work to ANY shipping company, nor the post office! (Well, maybe I'd trust it to Dunbar, but that's probably pretty pricey!)

tooki

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2004, 10:58 PM

The same thing happened with my brother's laptop. He sent it away to Apple and they replaced the hard rive without telling him. Apparently, they are supposed to ask you at the apple store if you want them to transfer your data but they never asked him. He wasn't even supposed to be getting his hard drive replaced as far as I know. I think he did have a backup though. You can't put all the blaim on the consumer in this case.

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2004, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
The same thing happened with my brother's laptop. He sent it away to Apple and they replaced the hard rive without telling him. Apparently, they are supposed to ask you at the apple store if you want them to transfer your data but they never asked him. He wasn't even supposed to be getting his hard drive replaced as far as I know. I think he did have a backup though. You can't put all the blaim on the consumer in this case.
It's only my opinion but I completely disagree. It is totally the consumers responsibilty to back up their important data. Most people have their entire life installed on their computers HD. Backing up data is not new science. It's been available since the old floppy disk. It's completely irresponsible to "trust" the fact that nothing will happen that will compromise important stuff one's computer while it's away being repaired by some stranger that couldn't care less if your data gets destroyed while servicing the computer. Under these circumstances one has to think smart.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Forum Links
Forum Rules