Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 256mb crawls/sucks

256mb crawls/sucks
fruntbut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2004, 04:43 PM

my new powerbook is STARVING for ram. i'm waiting on the delivery of a 1gb module, and boy is it hard to do anything with the stock 256mb. having a few applications running and having to wait seconds for the gui to respond reminds me of a few months ago when i was using my girlfriend's hewlett-packard. thankfully it will be over tomorrow, according to fedex.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 04:57 PM

I found a BIG difference with my PowerBook moving the RAM up to 1 GB. I don't know what Apple claims the minimum amount of RAM is for running OS X, but in the real world you need at least 512 MB for a sweet user experience, and 1 GB is certainly noticably better than that.

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2004, 05:11 PM

For the amount of work i do all day... i have to say my little 12" has been keeping up. This mostly has to do with the fact it has 1.25 gb of ram (i'm sure)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2004, 09:42 PM

I'll be picking one up on Saturday, and my 512MB module from Crucial is already in the mail. Didn't want to spend $400 for a 1GB module (vs. $123 for a 512MB'er).
768MB total I think should be fine for what I (will) do on the laptop. However, I agree that more = better. 2.0GB is in my G5.

Ω
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2004, 06:21 AM

I have a GB in my laptop, and using menu meters hardly ever go over 512MB - though I am a very low level user (Word, Excel, Safari, iTunes....)

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 07:38 AM

Running with 128, then you are talking. My ram stick went bad and I was stuck with 128 for two weeks once.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2004, 09:19 AM

Panther eats up RAM, i have 512MB in my powerbook and it seems to be just fine. As soon as I can afford it I'm goign to get a 1GB stick.

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2004, 09:34 AM

i didn't notice much of a difference going from 768 to 1.1 gigs in my cube. osx does love ram, but once you're over a certain poit, you need to be doing a lot of stuff to get a huge improvement.

the min i'd go for in a mac is 512. at 768, i think you're good for most things. For me, the premium of price wouldn't make it worthwhile to put 1 gig in a powerbook. i'd just get a 512, but then i'm not doing hardcore stuff on it either.

fb

Mike656
Apr 30, 2004, 09:36 AM

I took some RAM out of my G4 tower to try 128MB out a while back, needless to say my other ram sticks were back in 5 minutes later.

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2004, 09:48 AM

I've been running my pbook with 256mb for about 6 months now. i work with flash mx, photoshop and illustrator all the time. the system runs very slow but has thankfully never crashed. running 256mb on my pbook has taught me patience!!!

nevertheless, i just ordered 2 1gb modules for my pbook g4. enough is enough. im sure my system will fly from now on.

cheers
www.zeeshank.com

PS. forgot to ask, lets say im editing a 100mb file on 256mb ram, and the same file on a 1gig module, will i notice sufficient difference?

Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 10:07 AM

I have been running 256MB on my revA 12" PB. I've been saving up for an engagement ring so i have had difficulty allocating some funding to buy a 512MB chip. When I have more than 2 applications open there is a noticeable slow down. Even though its workable it becomes very annoying. I might just have to wait till July for my birthday before i can get one, but ah well, patience is my friend.

On a side note, what's with the RAM prices? I swear not even 2 months ago crucial was down to $99 or $98 for their powerbook pc2100 sodimms and right now its up to $122 or something. 18004memory was down to like $91 for their powerbook pc2100 sodimms and now they are up to like $120! I thought this stuff was supposed to go down in price??? Not up by like $30!

May God Be With You.
-Matt

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 11:41 AM

I'm guessing its because of the new powerbooks being released and most users get their ram from places other then Apple. They raise their prices for a few weeks then after awhile it'll start to go down again. I remember when the 1 gig stick cost $369 and now its $400+, oh well I guess I gotta play the waiting game too.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

fruntbut  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2004, 06:45 PM

just an update for whoever is interested - i received my 1gb ram chip from 18004memory.com (aka coast to coast memory), and the performance increase is very, very, very dramatic. i can now run final cut pro, iphoto, itunes, safari, photoshop, etc. simultaneously with no slowdown, it's just great! though, strangely it didn't affect xbench, still score 120-125. that is, however, completely immaterial to me now, as it feels remarkably faster and more responsive.

i ordered the generic (samsung, i think) ram, not what they advertise for powerbooks - it is cheaper ($304.95 with 2 day fedex) and has the same specs. catalogue number LG3364U/1G 1GB DDR 333 SO DIMM.

so far so good, except one small thing. i'm having a problem with airport dropping it's connection after a few minutes - slows down until nothing. only rebooting fixes it. i don't know if ram could cause this, or maybe, when i took the battery out, i loosened the card. i don't know and i don't really have time to investigate it right now, have to write papers, but if anyone knows anything, let me know. i have airport firmware 3.4.1 and the problem occurs with several different base stations.
12" powerbook rev. C (80gb, 5400rpm, superdrive, 256mb), 12" powerbook rev. B (80gb, 4200rpm, combo, 768mb)

Forum Links
Forum Rules