Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard Has F***ed my PowerBook! HELP!

Leopard Has F***ed my PowerBook! HELP!
thickdrummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2007, 10:09 AM

After finding very few bugs in leopard, I am now suffering from one which has rendered my PowerBook useless for its intended purpose!

About 5 minutes after disconnecting my laptop from the AC adapter, the light is green and the indicator reads 100%, it says I am running on reserve power, then it shuts down. I am now tethered to my desk, as I cant take my laptop anywhere!

I've reset the P-RAM and PMU but neither has worked.

Any suggestions?

PaperNotes
Nov 10, 2007, 10:47 AM

That is F***ed. Thread title warranted.

moep
Senior User
Nov 10, 2007, 01:27 PM

What happens if you press the button on your battery? Do the five LEDs signal a full or empty battery?
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

thickdrummer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2007, 02:29 PM

when its charging it says fully charged and five spots on the battery indicator. When I unplug it it says 100% but twenty five minutes remaining and the battery has just one light on. Pretty soon after that it will say I'm on reserve power.
Any thoughts people ? Before I upgraded to leopard, my battery life was pretty good. Now I'm gutted its so bad! Surely its a software thing?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2007, 02:31 PM

Unless somebody else has heard of such a bug, it sounds like the battery coincidentally died. Try checking with Coconut Battery.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sailor7734
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2007, 05:03 PM

I upgraded to Leopard some time ago and used my laptop for a while...yesterday it started having trouble waking from sleep (wouldn't do it), and today, it dies if I try to use battery power...the battery is good and shows five lights on the bottom, but the machine WILL NOT boot unless the power adapter is connected. I've reset the PRAM several times, but to no avail. Anyone know how to reset the PMU on the MBP?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2007, 06:58 PM

Don't you know? The money you payed was to sign up for Apple's beta testing team.

sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2007, 08:31 PM

really...this is as bad as the early upgrades after 10.1....wow. I found the reset PMU thing and that did not help the situation...so, I have a $3K NON portable laptop for a while

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2007, 08:36 PM

Troubleshoot -- if you roll back to 10.4, does this battery behavior straighten out?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2007, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Don't you know? The money you payed was to sign up for Apple's beta testing team.
This kind of comment is not useful or realistic.

Anyway, several actual troubleshooting measures have been recommended, so I guess it remains to be seen if any more information comes in. As I know many people with laptops that did not break after installing Leopard, and I know many laptop batteries that have spontaneously died for no apparent reason at all, that seems like the most likely thing without more information. Could be wrong, but Leopard definitely doesn't normally kill batteries.
Chuck
___

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2007, 12:31 PM

Okay, there might be something to this...

My PowerBook started going from 40-70% straight into the "reserve power" notification, then shutting down. This happened right after I installed Leopard, but I assumed it was because of my battery just dying out.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 11, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Sorry, It was said out of frustration of just how unpolished 10.5 is.

sailor7734
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 06:48 PM

Unpolished?....you are very kind. IMO, this is the result of poor SQA on Apple's part. In 20+ wonderful years of being a Macaholic, I have only occasionally experienced this kind of problem. They ARE "Insanely Great"....but NOT infallible...

I have run coconutbattery and it gives non-sensical, conficting results....says the battery is 100% charged {progress bar}, but the "current charge" is -1mAh, with a capacity of "-1mAh". It also says there have been 5 cycles in 18 months, while Apple's profiler says FULL CHARGE and 96 cycles...and the lights on the bottom of the laptop show FULL CHARGE..FIVE lights! I'll put my trust in the lights rather than s/w that talks to the PMU...

So, I'm not defaming Apple, coconutbattery or anyone/anything else....I AM saying that since upgrading to 10.5, it seems like my useable battery has suddenly become useless. There was a battery update last April (update 1.2) that is NO LONGER on my system (released for my class MBP), replaced by 1.3...which has a "Date Created" that is EARLIER than update 1.2....as has happened before, I wonder if 10.5 has hosed the earlier fix...

cheers,
david

Spirit_VW
Senior User
Nov 11, 2007, 07:04 PM

Battery life on my MacBook Pro has, if anything, gotten *better* since upgrading to Leopard. The whole system has been working fantastically - Kevin's "beta" comments are way off base, IMHO.

Sailor,

The MBP has no PMU. What you'll need to do is reset the SMC (System Management Controller):

(from Apple's site)

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.
Kevin Buchanan
Fort Worthology

sailor7734
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2007, 10:12 PM

Kevin - thanks for the suggestion. Have done this several times, with no improvement change in the result.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007, 04:30 PM

I just had the same problem with a BRAND NEW BATTERY! This new OS is F___KING UP the power management system BIG TIME!
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 13, 2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spirit_VW View Post
Kevin's "beta" comments are way off base, IMHO.
I assure you, they are not. This was coming from the lips of an Apple employee. What we have as 10.5 now, wasn't what Apple planned on releasing as 10.5.

People got pulled off the 10.5 team to work on the iPhone because it too was running behind schedule and Jobs put it at the highest importance at the time. Therefore a lot of hours that would have been put into 10.5 was not. A lot of employees disappointed because they had to stop their work, something they had been working on a long time, to help another team finish work they had been doing for a long time.

What we got is what Apple had done, and or partially done by the time Oct reached here. This isn't an opinion.

No, it's not Vista. But it's not what I expect from Apple either. It's more like 10.0 than 10.4 in release maturity.

10.5 is the ONLY version of OS X I have hesitated to upgrade to at work since migrating to it when 10.2 came out.

10.0 and 10.1 were pretty much "beta" releases too.

Now get mad at me all you want. Hiss/Honk and even spit. But this is what went down in Cupertinotown.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 13, 2007 at 05:09 PM. )

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007, 05:38 PM

Jesus...this thread is not inspiring confidence to upgrade to Leopard on my PB G4.
I purchased the install disc today.

Anyone not have this problem when upgrading to a PB?

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2007, 08:18 PM

I had an initial problem with my PB G4 installation. I, ironically, got a BSOD. The Apple site posted a fix and Leopard completed installation.

I have noticed that the OS is snappier and that the power management system is working fine..

I have a PB G4 HD.

TGF
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 09:23 PM

I have to chime in and say I have had zero problems (other than aesthetics) with Leopard on my MacPro.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post
Jesus...this thread is not inspiring confidence to upgrade to Leopard on my PB G4.

Not a single problem on my 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4. My battery charge is actually averaging a little longer, though I couldn't tell you why. It seems like this might be more than coincidence, but so far these are the only three reports I've ever heard of it. Like I said earlier, if this were common, we'd have heard of it immediately, because PowerBooks are not all that rare.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 14, 2007, 07:31 AM

well we have 3-4 in this forum alone.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2007, 08:18 AM

I took the plunge last night. Glad I did. Flawless apart from a kernal panic on restart after install but when I restarted after that no problem.
System does seem snappier and migration assistant brought in 2 user accounts from a bootable clone of my previous (tiger) system. Man I was so impressed with how that went. Incredible.

Overall it looks very very good from here.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2007, 01:02 PM

well we have 3-4 in this forum alone.
Yes, that's what I said: As far as I know, the three from this forum are alone. Nothing on Mac OS X Hints or AppleInsider, nothing else here, and lots of people running it fine on a PowerBook.
Chuck
___

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2007, 12:58 PM

My 1.67Ghz PowerBook 15" is exhibiting reduced battery life, down from @ 2.5hrs to about 30 mins... it's really annoying me as I hate being tethered and there are some times when I want my PB and not my MacBook to hand.

I hope Apple fix this as the rest of Leopard is quite OK and "teh snappeh" is most welcome on the PB (almost but not quite enough to make me kick out the MB and go back to PB as my work machine - iWork performance is still a bit claggy but maybe a RAM upgrade would fix that a little as I currently only have 1Gb onboard?). Spaces, Stacks, Time Machine and Back To My Mac are either features that I've not figured a need for yet, or not working (hello, what happened to Time Machine over Wifi and BTTM is a mess!).

That's all for now.
/ic

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2007, 04:38 PM

I have to go with Kevin on this one... it is a "useful" comment in that it might get others to think "realistically" about the ramifications of installing Leopard on a Mac that is currently running without any problems. I have a Leopard DVD on my desk and I won't be installing it on my Macs until there have been several updates. I might install it on a cloned external volume and see how it goes, but I won't be installing it on a Mac that I depend on.

I understand that folks get excited about a new OS, but past experience has shown that the early-adopters are much more likely to get burned than those who wait while the bugs are worked-out.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2007, 04:51 PM

There's nothing "realistic" about focusing on negatives. Any use of your computer marginally increases the chance that something will go wrong. Every time the hard drive spins, it's one step closer to death. And yes, earlier versions of software will hopefully have more bugs than later revisions. But making snarky comments like "Didn't you know? You signed up for Apple's beta testing team" just serves to exaggerate problems and foster resentment.

If you don't want to install Leopard, that's totally your call. Some people are still running System 7 because they have a setup that they don't want to mess with, and that's a valid choice. But to be realistic, in the general case, the "ramifications" of installing Leopard are that you have a new, superior version of the OS on your computer.
Chuck
___

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2007, 06:55 PM

But making snarky comments like "Didn't you know? You signed up for Apple's beta testing team" just serves to exaggerate problems and foster resentment.

But to be realistic, in the general case, the "ramifications" of installing Leopard are that you have a new, superior version of the OS on your computer.
I don't think that the problems are being exagerrated, but rather are being enumerated for the benefit of others who are contemplating moving to Leopard. And I don't think it was being snarky... it was just one person's opinion and I happened to find it funny. (And IMO 10.0-10.2 were "beta releases" that were not ready for prime time, much less worth paying for.)

Whether Leopard is truly superior to Tiger is debatable... At any rate I think that a few people here need to get in touch with their sense of humor and not jump on someone for nothing and blindly defending Apple.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I don't think that the problems are being exagerrated, but rather are being enumerated for the benefit of others who are contemplating moving to Leopard.
Kevin's joke didn't enumerate anything for anyone's benefit — that's what the 10.5 bugs thread is for. He was just expressing his frustration.

And I don't think it was being snarky... it was just one person's opinion and I happened to find it funny.
And it's my opinion that negativity like that is not productive. It doesn't help anyone. All it does is make people angrier and spread the misconception that there's an unreasonably large number of problems with Leopard.

Whether Leopard is truly superior to Tiger is debatable... At any rate I think that a few people here need to get in touch with their sense of humor and not jump on someone for nothing and blindly defending Apple.
How come anytime I defend Apple, people say I'm doing it "blindly"? Like, have you actually looked through my posting history and missed all the times I've criticized Apple? Just because I don't jump on a bandwagon with you and attack them when they don't deserve it doesn't mean I'm defending them blindly.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Nov 23, 2007 at 07:24 PM. )
Chuck
___

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2007, 07:28 PM

OK, let me put it another way... I think that you are over-reacting. No one is "attacking" Apple. It was a harmless remark, an attempt at humor that some people think is funny and some do not. In the scheme of things it is No Big Deal. Apple didn't suffer any harm and hopefully you didn't either.

This is a good example of how things have gone downhill in this culture... more and more people are quick to take offense at the smallest thing, even when no offense is meant to them personally, and they lash-out at those who do not agree with them. I think that we need to coin a new term: I'm thinking "Internet Rage" fits the bill nicely...

Now all we need are emoticons of a raised middle-finger and a hand waving a gun...
( Last edited by Mojo; Nov 23, 2007 at 08:02 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2007, 08:24 PM

OK, let me put it another way... I think that you are over-reacting.
Er…I'm sorry if it seemed that way, but I think you've got the wrong impression. It was just a gentle, one-sentence reminder that negativity doesn't help with problem-solving. Kevin apologized and the thread moved along just fine. I'm not sure how I could have handled it more calmly, though I'm open to suggestions (preferably via PM, since that's really off the topic of this thread and forum).
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 06:37 AM

Yes, that's what I said: As far as I know, the three from this forum are alone. Nothing on Mac OS X Hints or AppleInsider, nothing else here, and lots of people running it fine on a PowerBook.
OS X hints have a lot of issues with powerbooks and how to work around them in 10.5. I read it daily...
There's nothing "realistic" about focusing on negatives. But making snarky comments like "Didn't you know? You signed up for Apple's beta testing team" just serves to exaggerate problems and foster resentment.
Nothing exaggerated about it. 10.5 was basically beta quality. And 10.5.1
obviously Isn't much better
the "ramifications" of installing Leopard are that you have a new, superior version of the OS on your computer.
It's superior in some things, and not in others. It depends if any of those sucky things will effect your work load. If so, then 10.5 is certainly not for you.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 24, 2007 at 07:15 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 06:38 AM

Er…I'm sorry if it seemed that way, but I think you've got the wrong impression. It was just a gentle, one-sentence reminder that negativity doesn't help with problem-solving. Kevin apologized and the thread moved along just fine.
I apologized for being frustrated at all the bugs in 10.5. I didn't apologize saying I was wrong that those bugs existed.

I still stand by my point that 10.5 was a "beta" OS in the release. Having said that, a lot other OS X versions that were released as FC were too. I just didn't have as many PROBLEMS with them as I have been with 10.5.

That being so, 10.5 wont be getting installed on my work computer till Apple fixes it.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 06:42 AM

OK, let me put it another way... I think that you are over-reacting. No one is "attacking" Apple.
No, not at all. These are legitimate complaints. The only people that don't believe 10.5 was rushed out a bit too soon are either people who don't know better, or rah rah Apple fanboys. Or people that just have a problem admitting that they were wrong. Everyone else seems to admit 10.5 is a bit more buggy than most OS X releases have been.

Having said that, 10.5 is better than any other OS out there. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have it's glaring faults.
This is a good example of how things have gone downhill in this culture... more and more people are quick to take offense at the smallest thing, even when no offense is meant to them personally, and they lash-out at those who do not agree with them. I think that we need to coin a new term: I'm thinking "Internet Rage" fits the bill nicely...

Now all we need are emoticons of a raised middle-finger and a hand waving a gun...
Well some people get emotionally attached to a company or a piece of software to the extent, any bad talk about it is taken as if you talked bad to their mothers.

You have to take zealousness into consideration. Notice who the zealots are, and ignore what they have to say. Because according to them, the problem either doesn't exist, or it exists on such a small basis they claim it doesn't matter. Neither which these claims are an accurate representation of what is going on.

Letting one's emotions or ego over-rule their ability to critically think usually ends up bad. Above I apologized for letting my emotions take control. But my beliefs that 10.5 was a beta Apple made you pay for still stands.

Back in 10.0 me and others claimed the SAME THING only to be told we were wrong. Well now 10.0 was pretty much known to have been a "beta" pushed out into the public.
( Last edited by Kevin; Nov 24, 2007 at 07:10 AM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2007, 07:33 AM

The only people that don't believe 10.5 was rushed out a bit too soon are either people who don't know better, or rah rah Apple fanboys.
Or, you know, people who notice that this has been said about every software release in all of history. Software releases are almost always both too early and too late.

Or people that just have a problem admitting that they were wrong.
Wrong about what? That 10.5 has worked pretty well everywhere I've seen it and in the experience of most users? I'd have no problem admitting I was wrong about that if, you know, it weren't actually the case. Yeah, it's imperfect, but pretending to be shocked and scandalized by that fact is silly. It's good enough that I prefer to use it in my everyday work — that's the most honest recommendation I can give anything.

Having said that, 10.5 is better than any other OS out there.
This flies in the face of the "beta OS" claim. If the OS is not good enough for release, then it is not better than an OS that is good enough for release. If it is better than release-quality software, then it is good enough for release.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 07:42 AM

Or, you know, people who notice that this has been said about every software release in all of history.
Now who is exaggerating Chuck?
Software releases are almost always both too early and too late.
Too late? How can a software release be too late? Unless the release would have fixed the problem you encountered..
Wrong about what?
I really wish you'd have kept that into context. As I wasn't referring to just this instance Chuck.
That 10.5 has worked pretty well everywhere I've seen it and in the experience of most users?
I don't think anyone would argue with "pretty well" Most betas I have ran have ran "pretty well" 10.4.9 on my G4 ran better than just "pretty well" however.
I'd have no problem admitting I was wrong about that if, you know, it weren't actually the case. Yeah, it's imperfect, but pretending to be shocked and scandalized by that fact is pretty silly. It's good enough that I prefer to use it in my everyday work, and that's all I can ask.
I and many others have said that they wished Apple took maybe a few more months to iron out all the bugs. That's is the majority of the consensus I've heard that actually knows what they are talking about.
This flies in the face of the "beta OS" claim. If the OS is not good enough for release, then it is not better than an OS that is good enough for release. If it is better than release-quality software, then it is good enough for release.
That's kinda a spin. 10.0 was considered "Good enough to release" But pretty much everyone agrees today that it was basically a public beta that cost money. Back then however, it was quite the controversy.

Here is a 10.5.1 install. No hacks. Nothing. And I got these issues.

I was thinking OH NOS.. BM IS BACK!

And no, that isn't a compressed JPEG. That is how it looked on my screen.

During the same time, all menus and menu items did this.

Rebooting fixed it.

I have problems sometimes ejecting disk images too.

BTW never touched this application till after it was installed, and got this error.

Even after 10.5.1 it still feels like a beta OS. I would forgive a beta OS for doing these things. NOT a final release. And certainly not a 10.5.X release.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 08:28 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I have installed Leopard on 4 machines, G5 Dual 2.5, G5 Quad 2.5, iMac G5 20" 1.8 and Powerbook G4 1.5. I don't really have any show stopper problems, that is to say nothing to make me roll back to 10.4, but I do have some problems.... such as:

1) Coconut battery is all messed up on my Powerbook G4, anyone else see this problem? I get odd values that can't be true, like the cycles are 4400 cycles, I think it is reading the information wrong as that should be original capacity I think?

2) Slow response in finder, windows take a second or two to update, in safari favivcons take a second to load up too.

3) UI problems: Stacks suck, scroll bars in aqua suck (luckily some people online fixed this and its soo much better as the itunes style ones now) transparent menu stinks, i like the transparency but let me choose how much....

4) InDesign is constantly crashing when you open an open/export/save as finder dialog, i think it has something to do with VersionCue but no fix has been found and it is random.

5) FontExplorerX loads my font but some are not seen as loaded (such as Avenir) switched back to FontAgentPro now that CS3 plugins are out and that has fixed it.

So besides #4, I am even switching some of my machines at work, we have done 2 weeks with it now at work and it "seems" safe for us once Indesign is fixed...

Oh yeah, my FAVORITE improvement in 10.5 is copying large files to SMB shares (like 500MB or so) when copying them in 10.4 it would crash the share and drop everyone off the network, I had to dump it on a USB stick and drop it on the SBS server, now it copies perfectly and even with a real progress bar! sooooo happy about this! (This problem only seemed to happen before with SMB shares on a SBS server Win2K3 with roaming profiles on AD users, so YMMV)

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 09:18 AM

Yeah I am not rolling back to 10.4 either. Just like I used 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 and so on.
I am sure Apple will fix these problems in the future.

Like I said, I think 10.5 in is between stages of something much bigger.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
1) Coconut battery is all messed up on my Powerbook G4, anyone else see this problem? I get odd values that can't be true, like the cycles are 4400 cycles, I think it is reading the information wrong as that should be original capacity I think?
Coconut Battery is not yet compatible with Leopard. At least on PPC machines.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2007, 01:54 PM

Not Leopard related, but battery/OS related:

I'm convinced that 10.3.7 killed the battery in my iBook. 1 week after upgrading to 10.3.7 (3 years ago), my iBook's battery life dropped from 1.5 hours to 30 minutes. A few weeks later, I bought a new battery. 1 year later, I had to reinstall 10.3; when I updated it to 10.3.9 (which included the 10.3.7 update), my battery life once again dropped to 30 minutes.

Now running Ubuntu on the machine with a third new battery ... gets awesome battery life.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2007, 02:04 PM

I cannot recall a major OS upgrade that didn't cause problems for some folks, and the more a person has customized their Mac the more likely the upgrade will be problematic... Fortunately, there are a number of Web sites where one can go and confirm the compatibility of applications and "haxies." One reason I haven't upgraded yet is Unsanity's Application Enhancer is not yet compatible with 10.5 and I use FruitMenu primarily for its contextual menu enhancements.

I have suggested elsewhere that people with external drives or partitioned internal drives upgrade a cloned volume instead of their primary boot volume and see how it goes... You can see what works and what doesn't and if the problems are unusually severe you can revert to the original boot volume and wait until Leopard and/or the incompatible apps are updated.

If you depend on your Mac for school or work and do not have a cloned back-up, I would suggest carefully considering the potential ramifications of a major upgrade before taking the plunge.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2007, 02:24 PM

Nothing exaggerated about it. 10.5 was basically beta quality. And 10.5.1 obviously Isn't much better.

And your evidence is what??

That some people are having some problems with some things?

Uh-huh. That pretty much makes every version of every OS
ever released in the history of the universe "beta quality".

Wasted words.
-HI-

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2007, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by jbleisure View Post

I've installed it on my MacBook Pro (2.16GHz Core Duo) and 12" PowerBook G4 (1.33GHz). Both are working just wonderfully - no battery issues whatsoever.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2007, 04:05 PM

It might be interesting to hear the type of install you guys did, too.

I did a clean install on my 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook and like some, I'm experiencing a slight increase in battery life.

Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2007, 05:23 PM

Clean install (really clean, on a brand new HDD) on a 2 GHz iMac Core Duo. SOOO much faster, RAM is so much more efficiently used, like a new computer. O' course, no battery here to speak of.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 24, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post

And your evidence is what??

That some people are having some problems with some things?
That a lot of people are having many different problems. Hey, I am a big Apple fan myself. But 10.5 IS pretty buggy. I am sure they will iron out the problems soon. It will be nice and stable.
Uh-huh. That pretty much makes every version of every OS
ever released in the history of the universe "beta quality".
Nope... people mostly said that with 10.0, and now 10.5

Major release OSs. Not surprising. I am not saying BAD APPLE! I am just stating the feeling of the OS. I've used developers, betas, final candidates etc. The OS still contains behavior I've only experienced with beta versions of a OS. That is why I made the comments I did.

.1 fixed a few things. I am betting by .5 everything will be fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules