Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another victory for Mac

Another victory for Mac
Full-Auto
Forum Regular
Jul 7, 2008, 03:59 PM

Our CEO made the switch to Mac this last week I learned. The trend has been sweeping our company and our industry. Even the hardcore .NET developers that work for us are switching... it's truly an amazing thing to witness.

Just 2 years ago Mac's were dying in our industry, my then company was stopping support for Mac in our IT department. Then the popularity of the Intel based Mac's started to reverse the trend. Even my former employer is using more and more Macs and my current employer is REALLY using Mac's.

I'm so glad to see Mac making such huge inroads into corporate America after all of these years.

What's funny is that 2 years ago I was a PC guy too.

NateB
Jul 7, 2008, 04:02 PM

That's great! I'm also in the process of switching to Mac as well.

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2008, 04:23 PM

I just started an IT job and was very surprised to see how many people are using macs. A lot of the people who don't have them want them, the only issue seems to be a large enough budget to afford all the upgrades. And not surprisingly the only work I've done on a mac so far was installing software for people.

design219
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2008, 04:23 PM

What is your industry?

And congratulations!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2008, 04:42 PM

The switch to Intel was one of the smartest things they have ever done. Now buying a PC is a stupid idea as you are getting only Windows (or Linix if you care) but if you spend a tiny bit more for a Mac you get the best of both worlds.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The switch to Intel was one of the smartest things they have ever done. Now buying a PC is a stupid idea as you are getting only Windows (or Linix if you care) but if you spend a tiny bit more for a Mac you get the best of both worlds.
Depends what market segment you're in... most desktop sales are in a price market below the Mac mini but performance market between the mini and the Pro. For that market, the spend is quite a bit higher or the performance is substantially lower to get a Mac. For laptops there's less of a gap; the only group who don't have the option of spending a little more to get a Mac is the low end.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2008, 08:20 PM

Related:

One of Europe's largest newspaper publishers, Axel Springer AG, has announced a Mac migration
Jonny Evans

One of Europe's largest newspaper publishers, Axel Springer AG, has announced plans to migrate its 10,000 employees and 150 newspapers in 30 countries to the Mac

Speaking in a video message that's now available through YouTube, company CEO Mathias Döpfner notes the following four reasons for the shift:

"Most of the company’s layout work was already being done on Macs
"Macs are more user friendly than other computers
"Apple creates the most elegant computers
"Macs are cheaper to buy and easier to maintain than they were in the past."

The migration will take five years and when complete will make Axel Springer Apple’s second largest corporate customer, after Google

Most recently in the US Auto Warehouse Co. began its switch of 1,000 desktops to the Mac.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/i...S&NewsID=21914

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules