Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > my New MBP i7 - looks different from photos

my New MBP i7 - looks different from photos
BONbonnie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2010, 04:24 AM

I just unwrapped my new 15 in MBP i7. Isn't there supposed to be a black border around the screen?
Mine has no black border, which is, instead, same color as the body. Only the keys and hinge are black.
I ordered from the Apple store, online --I can't imagine the Apple site photos could be that misleading!
I did order an anti-glare screen, but no mention was made of that changing the color. Was looking forward to the black border....
I hate to be disappointed in an Apple product, but also wasn't thrilled with how sharp the edges are when the the MBP is open -- the beveling is extremely minimal (I am comparing with a 2 year old Aluminum pre-unibody MBP). Most curious about the lack of a black border though.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2010, 04:48 AM

Glossy = black frame
Antiglare = silver frame

It's been that way ever since Apple started offering antiglare on the unibody MBPs.

And Apple informs people of this.
Originally Posted by Apple Store
Important note:
The actual size of the display is the same (15-inch diagonal) on both models. The antiglare display has a silver frame (border) around the display.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2010, 06:09 AM

When you leave off the glass for the matte-coated display, you need to add some sort of a plinth to keep the display from falling out.

Yes, the frame is a distracting throwback to the older design, but so is matte.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010, 10:31 AM

I know it´s a matter of personal preference, but I do like better the silver frame. I have got a pre unibody and a unibody and hands down, to me, the pre looks more classic Apple.
regards

BONbonnie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2010, 10:40 AM

Thank you Spheric and Simon -
When ordering I didn't see that that note as it was in a 'Learn More' pull down menu. Too bad.
It would have helped if there had been an asterisk or something on the build-to-order list, as I thought I 'understood' the choices.
A 'throwback'? in terms of the matte screen, Spheric? Maybe I am old-fashioned, I am even nostalgic for the old Pismo G3 curves! Actually, my daughter usually inherits my computers --she's a graphic designer and says she prefers the matte.
Thank you again for the reassurance there was not some strange mistake.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by polendo View Post
I know it´s a matter of personal preference, but I do like better the silver frame. I have got a pre unibody and a unibody and hands down, to me, the pre looks more classic Apple
Classic like the SE/30, IIci, PowerBook Duo, Bondi iMac, clamshell iBook, Pismo Powerbook, and titanium Powerbook?

(definitely)

(i do prefer the current design, though)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by BONbonnie View Post
my daughter usually inherits my computers --she's a graphic designer and says she prefers the matte.
It is well known that graphic designers are the most reactionary creatures in the technosphere.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010, 11:31 AM

Hey, Titanium PB look nice! I find it hard to explain, but the pre unibody resemble to me like a laptop with a high degree of craftmanship built and feel. Like those bad @ss tape/ LP stereos from the 70´s and 80´s. Those weigh a ton, but sure looked like a high tech craft. Anyway, maybe you guys are laughing at me so I will stop haha.
regards

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2010, 01:15 PM

I've had my 15" anti-glare for 3 days now. I like the silver frame but that's just personal preference.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by WizOSX View Post
I've had my 15" anti-glare for 3 days now. I like the silver frame but that's just personal preference.
+1 to that!!!!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2010, 02:53 AM

The silver frame isn't bad. But since you'll be getting black keys in any case, IMHO the black frame looks better.

And of course the glass panel makes cleaning the screen so much easier than the plastic screen + silver frame + groove in between for all the dust and gunk to collect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules