Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Entourage Broken on 10.7 - Switch to Mail 5 or Outlook 2011

Entourage Broken on 10.7 - Switch to Mail 5 or Outlook 2011
Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2011, 11:47 AM

OK, so with 10.7 I can't stay with the 2004 Entourage anymore. So the issue is do I use the free Mail 5 OR do I pony up the bucks and go to Outlook 2011?

I realize I lose all my old mail from Entourage if I go to Mail 5. Not good but not a huge disaster either. Also, I have a version of Office 2011 without Outlook, so It will cost $80 or so. I really don't need the calendaring capability of Outlook nor do I need to be compatible with any corporate Outlooks. Suggestions? The $80 isn't a big deal but is it worth it? Do I potentially lose anything - now or in the future (aside from $80) - by going with Outlook 2011 over Mail 5?
( Last edited by Kenstee; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 12:14 PM

If your mails are on an IMAP server then they are already in Apple Mail automatically once you set up your account. Mail also offers Entourage import, but I don't know how well that works.

Thorzdad
Jul 21, 2011, 12:23 PM

Why do you believe you have to ditch Entourage? It's a Universal app. It should work just fine in Lion, just like all the other Office apps. Or, are you using a version older than Office 2008?

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2011, 12:27 PM

I have the 2004 version...........PowerPC-only.

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
If your mails are on an IMAP server then they are already in Apple Mail automatically once you set up your account. Mail also offers Entourage import, but I don't know how well that works.
Not on IMAP.

Import does not work once you are in 10.7. Mail 5 doesn't "see" Entourage.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 03:12 PM

Have you already upgraded? Perhaps you could export your mail in to something that is transferable.

If you do start fresh, I would seriously consider taking the steps to get yourself IMAP. POP3 sucks balls in comparison. Gmail gives it away for free. I guess iCloud will too?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Have you already upgraded?
Yes.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 06:37 PM

In Mail 5, what happens if you go File -> Import Mailboxes, then choose Entourage?

Its been a while since I did this.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Kenstee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
In Mail 5, what happens if you go File -> Import Mailboxes, then choose Entourage?
Can't do this once you make the switch to 10.7. Entourage 2004 is not recognized by the system as it is a Power PC app.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 09:23 PM

Get yourself an IMAP account, drag all of your messages/folders there, setup your new Mail app. If you really want to use POP (I don't know why anyone would, but hypothetically speaking) you can then setup your POP account and drag your messages back to your POP account.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 01:53 AM

David Pogue, heavy Entourage user, dislikes Outlook 2011. Suggests you to use Lion's Mail app.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Get yourself an IMAP account, drag all of your messages/folders there, setup your new Mail app. If you really want to use POP (I don't know why anyone would, but hypothetically speaking) you can then setup your POP account and drag your messages back to your POP account.
He can't since he would need to open Entourage in order to drag his mail. Mail Entourage import won't work as it requires Mail to open Entourage in order to access the stored mail, it can't do it from the user database file.

You could copy your MS user database to an external drive and find a friend running 10.6 etc and Office and copy out their database, copy in yours, do the IMAP thing on their machine then replace your DB with theirs again. If not, I think your only option is going to be to try and make a 10.6 bootable external drive and boot from that. Then open Entourage and create an IMAP account, (gmail etc) drag your files into that, THEN go back to Lion and set up Mail which will just download all your IMAP mail.

Or shell for Outlook, which is stupid expensive.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2011, 11:31 AM

I had switched from using Mail 4 to Outlook 2011, but with this latest release I've instinctively switched away from Outlook in favour of the updated Mail app. It's definitely slick and intuitive in a way that the previous version was not.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 03:17 PM

I've yet to check out the Lion version of Mail, I'm still using and loving Postbox 2.5.x

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 03:26 PM

For those running Lion:

a.- Anyone using MailHub with Lion's Mail ?

b.- Is there anything new –features, improvements….- regarding Mail as RSS client ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules