Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Are YOU Getting the iPhone...?

View Poll Results: Are You Getting the iPhone the First Week of It's Release?
Poll Options:
Yes 40 votes (39.60%)
No 34 votes (33.66%)
Maybe 19 votes (18.81%)
I would if I had enough money 8 votes (7.92%)
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll
Are YOU Getting the iPhone...? (Page 2)
slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 08:18 AM

I bought an original iPhone that had been refurbished after I saw the announcement for the 3G phone last month. I'm even eligible for a free trade-in, but without 3G service where I live, there's no reason to be paying $10-$15 more per month for the same thing. I also rather like the metal casing of the current iPhone.

I will however be upgrading to 2.0 and getting MobileMe as soon as they are available though. Like others have said, it's as good as getting a new phone.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 08:36 AM

I voted no. I'm not THAT impressed with the specs, and I'm worried about battery life.

EDIT: Also, I have a Nokia N95 which so far does a few things the iPhone 2 doesn't: better camera, video recording, Flash. If Apple at LEAST put Flash in their damn iPhone I'd be all over it, but they don't. I'm sure there will be a 3rd party solution for it, but for me this isn't worth the money.
( Last edited by starman; Jul 9, 2008 at 08:46 AM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 09:50 AM

I change my vote to NO.
Mossberg's battery life of 4:27 hours is something that concerns me.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 10:26 AM

In that 4:27 hours he left wifi on and disconnected, which would still eat battery time compared to leaving it off.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 11:04 AM

So if I have an iPhone and want the stated amount of talk time, I need to turn off features like wifi, 3g, gps...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 11:15 AM

No, just turn things on as you use them, and battery life will be better. I have bluetooth on my W850i, I only turn it on when I need it because it eats battery life. This thing has bluetooth, edge, wifi, gps and 3g, thats a lot of wireless power to waste away in your pocket.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
No, just turn things on as you use them, and battery life will be better. I have bluetooth on my W850i, I only turn it on when I need it because it eats battery life. This thing has bluetooth, edge, wifi, gps and 3g, thats a lot of wireless power to waste away in your pocket.
I got you there, I was being sarcastic.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 11:29 AM

Ah well, I read the as "What are you going on about you ****ing idiot.", so I thought I'd explain myself .

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2008, 11:32 AM

Ah well, I read the as "What are you going on about you ****ing idiot.", so I thought I'd explain myself .
Sorry mate.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I got you there, I was being sarcastic.
Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Sorry mate.
Get a room you two.

Been thinking it over and I'm still not going to get one. Like others have said, iPhone Software 2.0 + MobileMe will be like having a new phone anyway.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Been thinking it over and I'm still not going to get one. Like others have said, iPhone Software 2.0 + MobileMe will be like having a new phone anyway.
This.

GPS I don't NEED.
3G isn't worth the extra $$$ since I'm used to Edge anyway. I don't like Edge, but for right now, I'm OK with it.

Had the iPhone had Flash, I'd be in line right now.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2008, 02:06 PM

Think ill stick with the old one!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 11:39 AM

AT&T is not budging on this subsidized pricing. I've called in twice and they keep telling me the same damn things.

I explain to them that I've been with them for 6 years, paid them over $6,000, been very modest in my phone upgrades, and have been told three separate times that I was eligible for the $199 by AT&T employees. It's even noted on my account. It's funny hearing a CSR read "Customer was promised that the $199 price is not subsidized and the customer is guaranteed an iPhone on July 11th for the $199 price. The $199 price is for everyone, not just new customers" and the say "I do apologize for the confusion sir, but you are upgrade eligible in July 2009. My response is, how do I know you aren't lying to me now? Since it seems that AT&T employees seem to be fine with telling customers whatever they want without consequence.

Ugh. I also told them that they had two possible scenarios....

1. I get the iPhone for $199, sign up for an expensive 2-year data plan and am a very happy customer.

2. They don't sell me a $199 iPhone, I continue with my current inexpensive plan, drop AT&T after a year, and anytime anyone talks about cell phone companies between now and the end of my life, I will go out of my way to speak ill about AT&T.

Sir, I do understand your frustration, but our system indicates that you are eligible for an upgrade in...

Is there anyone else I can talk to?

Sir, at this time, we are unable to escalate calls of this manner. Our policy is very strict on this and we can only go by the date set by our system. Again sir, I do apologize...

AAHHHH!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
AT&T is not budging on this subsidized pricing. I've called in twice and they keep telling me the same damn things.

I explain to them that I've been with them for 6 years, paid them over $6,000, been very modest in my phone upgrades, and have been told three separate times that I was eligible for the $199 by AT&T employees. It's even noted on my account. It's funny hearing a CSR read "Customer was promised that the $199 price is not subsidized and the customer is guaranteed an iPhone on July 11th for the $199 price. The $199 price is for everyone, not just new customers" and the say "I do apologize for the confusion sir, but you are upgrade eligible in July 2009. My response is, how do I know you aren't lying to me now? Since it seems that AT&T employees seem to be fine with telling customers whatever they want without consequence.

Ugh. I also told them that they had two possible scenarios....

1. I get the iPhone for $199, sign up for an expensive 2-year data plan and am a very happy customer.

2. They don't sell me a $199 iPhone, I continue with my current inexpensive plan, drop AT&T after a year, and anytime anyone talks about cell phone companies between now and the end of my life, I will go out of my way to speak ill about AT&T.

Sir, I do understand your frustration, but our system indicates that you are eligible for an upgrade in...

Is there anyone else I can talk to?

Sir, at this time, we are unable to escalate calls of this manner. Our policy is very strict on this and we can only go by the date set by our system. Again sir, I do apologize...

AAHHHH!
I've had so many similar customer service situations that I can sympathize with you. Once it gets to a certain level of frustration, I think its best to walk away. Either pony up and pay full price for the upgrade or just use the iphone you have now until your contract expires--by the time it does AT&T may not have exclusive rights to the iphone anymore and you'll have more choices.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 12:16 PM

I don't currently have an iPhone, That's the problem. If I did, I would be eligible.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 12:23 PM

Here's what I don't understand. THe math just doesn't add up.

Previous iPhone owners are upgrade eligible because they supposedly paid full price for the iPhone. $399 was full price, and was unsubsidized.

So now, you pay $199 for a subsidized iPhone with 2-year contract, $399 for a unsubsidized iPhone with a 2-year contract, or $599 for a unsubsidized iPhone without a 2-year contract.

Don't those numbers indicate that original iPhone owners were paying some form of subsidized price? Why are they eligible and current customers are not?

The most annoying thing is that the phone I have now is this free cheapy piece of **** I got because my old one broke. I had to pay a $50 upgrade fee for it as well. I know, 100% that this thing did not cost AT&T $200. Especially after I paid them $50 to "upgrade".

EDIT OK, I just checked the online AT&T store and the difference in price between a full price phone and a subsidized one is $150. Right down the board... subsidizing takes $150 off the price.

SO WHY THE HELL IS AN UNSUBSIDIZED IPHONE $200 MORE?

What makes it even more annoying is that I paid $50 to upgrade to this "free" hunk of ****, so I got $100 subsidized over 2 years which I am now halfway through. So where the **** does this $200 difference come from? What stupid math is this? Why not allow us to pay off the difference on the old phone? Why not work with people?

Why do they have to such colossal douches about everything.

I am so annoyed.
( Last edited by ort888; Jul 12, 2008 at 12:51 PM. )

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Had the iPhone had Flash, I'd be in line right now.
Originally Posted by starman
If Apple at LEAST put Flash in their damn iPhone I'd be all over it, but they don't. I'm sure there will be a 3rd party solution for it, but for me this isn't worth the money.
Flash is the deal breaker for you? Hell, I don't use a browser unless Flash is blocked.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Flash is the deal breaker for you? Hell, I don't use a browser unless Flash is blocked.
No flash is one of the reasons I LOVE the iPhone.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules