Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Meter reading software

Meter reading software
Captain Curt
Feb 11, 2009, 08:56 PM

I provide office support for a mobile home park. Currently, I'm using Filemaker Pro 9.0 to generate monthly statements. Is anyone aware of any meter reading (water in my case) software for the Macintosh? Ideally, I would like to get readings downloaded automatically (off of a wired network or WiFi) into Filemaker Pro. I can't find any Mac software for this need. I'm getting really desperate. All I can find is microsoft software. Thanks!!
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2009, 09:21 PM

How exactly are you proposing that anything can read those meters? As far as I am aware the utility companies have special radios systems to read those meters. Without that you are not going to be able to get ahold of the data, let along pull it into FileMaker. If you can find a way of getting that data to the computer, then you can start to look for a solution to getting it into FileMaker.

Captain Curt  (op)
Feb 11, 2009, 09:55 PM

I threw out a wide net with my question. I cannot find water meter manufacturers who offer network support that uses a mac. Currently, I'm stuck at the idea of using the meter manufacturer's software on parallels or boot camp on my mac using ethernet from the controlling unit of the water meter reading network. I'm willing to entertain the idea of buying all new meters if it could get the data into filemaker pro. I'm looking to store data that I can use for leak detection in the mobile home park water mains and individual units. For ex. If a unit shows a zero reading for a day, I know the toliet valve in the unit is not leaking and the water lines to the unit are not leaking.
( Last edited by Captain Curt; Feb 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: I misspoke.)
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

Forum Links
Forum Rules