Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > SETI 3.03 is not...

SETI 3.03 is not...
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2001, 02:34 PM

...working AT ALL! I have downloaded this program probably 15 times and tried to get it to work... All I get is an error when it tries to connect to the server, something about a sprocket error or other such computer dribble. The instructions that came with the program do no good whatsoever. And no one from Berkeley is answering my emails.

What do I have to do to get this program to work? If I have to dance the jig or do some type of magic rain dance or something, let me know. I am going to have a damn coronary trying to figure this thing out...

meltem
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2001, 04:39 PM

Hi ctt1wbw (what planet are you from ?)

I experienced the same infamous "socket error" with Seti@home version 2.x on MacOS 8.6 although everything seemed to work fine during the first weeks.

The bad news are I havn't yet been able to figure out what the problem was and Berkeley doesn't seem to know any better (I couldn't find any specific reference to this problem on their site anyway !).
It must be an incompatibility of some kind.

Version 3.0 on MacOS 9 and 3.03 on 9.0.4 have performed troublefree (sofar).

Sorry I can't really help. Can anyone else ?

kwyjibo
Jan 20, 2001, 01:49 AM

I'm using 3.0.3 right now without problems on 9.1 and had no problems with 9.0.4

bleen
Senior User
Jan 20, 2001, 03:09 PM

SETI@Home 3.03 Works fine for in in OS 9.1 and did in 9.04, 3.0.3 in both systems took twice as long to complte a set then 3.0 took... but SETI said that they reporgramed 3.03 to do that so it can do "more scientific activities"

ervier
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2001, 05:47 PM

I have installed Seti several weeks ago. I've installed it on my Windows machine at work and it worked in the background when I didn't use the computer. This way it worked pretty fast. At home on my mac, it seems it only works as a screensaver or when I activate the program. Is there a way to let it work in the background, when the processor doesn't do anything else?

------------------
"Chance is irrelevant. We will succeed."
== Seven of Nine ==
"Chance is irrelevant. We will succeed."
== 7 of 9 ==

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2001, 07:14 PM

Can some of you guys (or gals) email me your settings so that I can compare mine? It's not working at all. I am still getting those damned sprocket errors...

rapidi
Jan 23, 2001, 04:01 PM

You need to update your software. Here is the official word from the website at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

"SETI@home version 3.03 is now mandatory for all supported platforms. If you are having problems running an earlier version, please upgrade to version 3.03."

DocWest
Senior User
Jan 23, 2001, 10:24 PM

You might have disabled an extension that it needs.
I did that once

try running your base extension set.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2001, 07:58 PM

...my base extension set...

Roger, roger. ten-4.

I will let you know how it worked tomorrow when I am home.

Thanks for the info.

ladybird66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2001, 08:54 AM

ervier asked:
At home on my mac, it seems it only works as a screensaver or when I activate the program. Is there a way to let it work in the background, when the processor doesn't do anything else?
[/QUOTE]

After you launch it (from the menu bar icon) it will run in the background, but it will work a lot faster if you minimise the SETI@home window. (Click the square with the horizontal bar across it, in the top right corner of the SETI window.) That way it will stop wasting time drawing pictures, and concentrate on crunching numbers.

------------------
You are better off not knowing how sausages and laws are made.
You are better off not knowing how sausages and laws are made.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2001, 07:49 PM

I give up. I quit. I figured the people at Berkeley would respond to my multiple emails but they haven't. So I quit. I just erased SETI for about the 20th time from my PowerBook and it hasn't worked yet.

Ript
Apr 4, 2001, 11:44 AM

Really? I have it on untold dozens of PC's running various versions of winblows, and even one on a Netware box, all without a hitch....

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2001, 08:35 PM

moving to the seti forum...
dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules