Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > G4 crashed by applications!!??

G4 crashed by applications!!??
tonyjames
Mar 23, 2000, 07:57 PM

I just got a new 400/ G4..to run cubase4.1..thats all great,(with floppy enabler etc)..

when i install
photodelux2 (with type manager 4.5.2 update)
pagemill 3
graphic converter 3.7
claris emailer lite 1.5 (yes i know its old but i like it)
appleworks 5.04

after a couple of runs the G4 crashes as it starts up..
I can't start up extensions off either..its back to the disk..

Does anyone know which of these is the culprit?..its like tomb raider..one false move and you have to start from the top again..reinstall the lot..

im scared to install anything now..im submitting this on my old performer!

help!!!

strepidus
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2000, 10:20 AM

One thing to look at is which extension the computer crashes at. That might be the culprit. Start from the CD and move that extension out. If that doesn't work, then it's probably the System file that's messed up. Do a minimal install and then replace your old System file with the new one. That should work.

Graeme
Mar 24, 2000, 10:35 AM

The old version of Emailer looks suspicious. Some older software installed some extensions for the benefit of System 7.x, which interfere with Mac OS 8.x and 9.x.

A particular troublemaker is ObjectSupportLib. If you find this file in your Extensions folder, don't hesitate in throwing it out. It does no good for recent Mac OSes, and makes them very unstable.

-g

graphic
Mar 24, 2000, 11:16 AM

I have a G4 450 (when it was the high end one) and I have been having frequent crashes especially so when AOL-IM is running. 2 weeks ago it got so bad I went to reinstall my system software... and I couldn't even start up from the CD. It would just keep freezing up. So I reinstalled MAC OS 9 without booting from the CD and now things seem to be working ok.

dmessing
Mar 24, 2000, 12:03 PM

I have an older PCI based G4/400. Ever since I've got it, it seems to crash fairly regularly. At first it was so often I knew something was wrong. I called to place I bought it from, and they told me to switch the position of the RAM that I had installed (also bought from them) with the position of the apple - installed RAM. Things did get better, but it still crashes at least twice a day, seemingly for no reason. I can be sitting there reading a web page, and bam, the crash dialog with the restart button that never works pops up. I've suspected that it may be the RAM, perhaps my email application, eudora, when it's checking mail, or perhaps something soundcard related, as it seems to crash more often if I'm listening to music. Anybody have any ideas?

Skips
Mar 24, 2000, 12:13 PM

Boot from your CD, then go to extension manager in your NON-Active systenm folder and turn on OS 9 All. As it starts up hold the option and command keys together until it ask " Are your sure you want to rebuild your desktop" click "OK".After it doe this, your internet connection will work. Go to download.com and get a demo vesion of Confilct Catcher. Install and try that. If it works for you you BUY IT, it's a great program!! I hope this helps.

Rapsodan
Mar 24, 2000, 12:22 PM

G4/500 are the most unstable Mac we have ever seen. We have buy 4: three have been return at Apple for various problems and no one is stable. The really need to make a good revision.

An angry long long time customer.

[This message has been edited by Rapsodan (edited 03-24-2000).]

BrianLawson
Mar 24, 2000, 04:23 PM

When I first got my G4 450 running OS 9.0.2 it would lock up while loading the Finder. A little debugging with Conflict Catcher found the problem would go away when the ATI video card drivers were disabled. After a couple of days of trying various versions of the drivers from various sources (older OS's, ATI website etc) I contacted Apple Tech Support who authorized replacing my video card. Since then I have had no problems and am very happy indeed.

Try disabling the ATI stuff and see what happens.

Anon
Mar 24, 2000, 05:40 PM

I can be sitting there reading a web page, and bam[/B]

Bad Ram. Either the sticks are just bad, or the Speed/Manufacturer is causing problems.

whitedb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2000, 06:56 PM

I have G4/450 and had a similar problem of crashes. I installed Conflict catcher and then the machine crashed before that could even load.

I did a re-install and kept a copy of the original files. I gradually moved stuff back over a couple of weeks but never had the problem again. In order to help seeing what new installs do I followed a tip from MacWorld. Take your stable system and label all the files in your extensions folder and Control Panels "hot". Then when you install a new application you can immediately see which are the new extensions etc by their color. Run for a while and when you are happy they are OK, color code them hot. This has helped me a lot.

I had a problem installing QT4.1 as it completely hosed my system and the only recovery was to copy the system and OSROM from the install disk

mickeysquid
Mar 24, 2000, 07:42 PM

If your machine continually locks up for no apparent reason conflict catcher is probably not going to help. That guy two responses up from me is right. I'd bet my money on bad ram. Take out all your dimms, then put them back in one at a time. Run with just one dimm and see if your machine crashes, then try the other dimm. If you crash with one dimm but not the other, you have bad ram. If you crash with both, you probably have other hardware problems. Try a different keyboard. If you have a Western Digital hard drive check to see if it has been recalled (or just replace it a give it to a PC friend. It will work fine in her machine.)Fugitsu and Quantums are good.

tonyjames
Mar 25, 2000, 05:48 AM

Great to see replies so fast (my first post)..but im still a little confused..maybe i wasn't clear on my original post..

I installed all my applications one by one, restarting after each..everything seems fine , installing the updates to adobe type manager (and not installing the old type manager)... everything works fine..till I restart after using some of the applications..then as it restarts again i get an error message telling me to restart holding the shift key to turn off all extentions...this does not work , nor space bar, I have to re boot from the CD..end up clean reinstalling and starting again

So it must be one of these applications programs, yet there seems no logic to it..it dosent crash while sitting there or using the aplications..just on startup and I cant figure out yet which extentions conflict is doing it, or is it something generated once i use emailer or pagemill...?

has anyone else got any of these applications loaded? are they ok?..I feel like ive got this great machine i'm scared to use!

I hope im being clearer!..I was hoping someone would reply "oh yea its pagemill3..u need to get 3.01 or something" anf I'd be off..

thanks to everyone for their help..you call apple here in the UK and u just get..uhuh, its not our software..great, but the machine but dont load anything..

tonyjames

Noah Desch
Mar 25, 2000, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by tonyjames:
Great to see replies so fast (my first post)..but im still a little confused..maybe i wasn't clear on my original post..

I installed all my applications one by one, restarting after each..everything seems fine , installing the updates to adobe type manager (and not installing the old type manager)... everything works fine..till I restart after using some of the applications..then as it restarts again i get an error message telling me to restart holding the shift key to turn off all extentions...this does not work , nor space bar, I have to re boot from the CD..end up clean reinstalling and starting again

So it must be one of these applications programs, yet there seems no logic to it..it dosent crash while sitting there or using the aplications..just on startup and I cant figure out yet which extentions conflict is doing it, or is it something generated once i use emailer or pagemill...?

has anyone else got any of these applications loaded? are they ok?..I feel like ive got this great machine i'm scared to use!

I hope im being clearer!..I was hoping someone would reply "oh yea its pagemill3..u need to get 3.01 or something" anf I'd be off..

thanks to everyone for their help..you call apple here in the UK and u just get..uhuh, its not our software..great, but the machine but dont load anything..

tonyjames
I have Appleworks 6. Its great. It has only one bug. If quicktime is not in your root directory, it does not work, but I don't think this would affect startup proceedures.

Anyway, consider upgrading to 6

Forum Links
Forum Rules