Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 5215CD wont boot from OS8+CD- Even Apple is stumped

5215CD wont boot from OS8+CD- Even Apple is stumped
Keda
Senior User
Jun 27, 2000, 04:41 PM

We found a 5215CD in the back of an office during a recent move. Im trying to reformat to HFS+, upgrade the OS, and make it a Retrospect server. But...

When I try to boot from the 8, 8.5, or 8.6 CD, the xtns load, the desktop shows up, but before anything mounts or menus show up, I get a message that there is not enough RAM to start the finder.

There is 40 (8/32) physical, and the 32 is brand new. I even pulled the 8MB just to see if there was a conflict--same thing.

I can boot from a floppy(7.5) and a 7.5CD, but 8 is a no-go.

I have wiped the HD, instsalled a new PRAM battery, and banged my head on the wall. None of it helped.

Any ideas?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2000, 05:06 PM

have you tried 'wish i were'?

CLICK to DOWNLOAD

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Jun 27, 2000, 05:24 PM

Thanks, but I dont have a System folder to install it in.

Ive wiped the HD and am trying to reformat it in HFS+. I have an 8.5CD. Maybe I could bur a CD w/this in the xtn.

Does system 8 access memory differently than 7?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2000, 05:33 PM

i don't imagine that there's a world of difference

i am not sure.. of course VM is pretty different these days

Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2000, 06:13 PM

Does your computer have an Ethernet port on it? Do you have another Mac in your house/office? You could use a crossover cable, install 7.5 on the 5215; use your other Mac's CD-Rom drive and possibly install OS 8 that way. Wouldn't explain what was going on, but might be a way of getting 8 on your computer.

Cheers!
Chris

MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2000, 01:38 AM

Hm, I had a 5200CD a while back and had similar problems:
There were some things that other ppl suggested;
1. If your OS 8 CD is one of the first few it won't load properly unless Appletalk is on I think. I'm not sure if what I'm saying something right but there is some prob like this with early OS 8 disks.
2. Of course I'd imagine you would have checked the system with the 52xx tester prog.
3. What system did it come with? OS 8 could only be installed on 52xx systems on top of System 7.5.3 or later, sometimes even 7.5.5. These are available from Apple Software Archive or whatever it's called.
4. OS 8.1 or later should boot from the CD ok.
There might be a few other probs and things I think up.........

I suggest using OS8.1 on this system as it is most stable, moreso than later systems on this system. I tried later systems and they weren't as reliable/ took up more system memory.
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2000, 02:06 AM

The Apple Spec on the Performa 5215CD shows the supported OS range as 7.5.1 to 8.0. This would explain the failure to boot.

If you want to try higher OS versions, the way I deal with some older systems is to just remove the internal HD & connect it to a newer machine for format/install work. The 5215CD has an IDE internal HD.

Try installing a Universal System Folder. But you may be limited to OS 8.0 after all is said and done.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 06-28-2000).]

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Jun 28, 2000, 09:55 AM

I was able to install 8.5, and run, so I think the Machine is capable of it. Also, are there any firm-wear updates or patches for this Mac? I looked at Apples site, but came up empty.

I have a sys 8 CD, but it wont boot either. Im fresh out of ideas.

MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2000, 03:33 PM

First of all reader50, that strange ey because I got 8.6 going on a 5200 and my friend has 8.5 on his 5215. One prob we both have is the darn slow CD-ROM drive in both. It doesnt read the system disk very fast at startup and sometimes didn't recognise. Apart from the 5xxxx series tester program I can't think of any firmware because the system used fairly reliable old technology. None of my ideas were applicable before?
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2000, 04:26 PM

Looks like Apple doesn't always keep older spec listings up to date.

The OS 8.6 System Requirements clearly states any 4-didgit model number is supported. There are a few notes.

Also, the OS 9 System Requirements indicates that OS 9 would work with the 5215CD, but you are near the minimum memory for OS 9, even with VM turned on. 8.6 looks like a better bet.

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2000, 04:07 AM

I have one of these 5215cd systems does anyone make a processor upgrade for that model??
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

Keda  (op)
Senior User
Jun 29, 2000, 12:21 PM

Sorry-No luck on the upgrades-besides getting a new MoBd.

I started a new topic about my latest adventures. http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/000623.html

I was able to install 9 on to the 5215's ATA by putting in my G4. Everything is fine on the 5215, but now my G4 wont boot from the ATA HD.

The drama continues.

[This message has been edited by Keda (edited 06-29-2000).]

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2000, 02:35 PM

You can get a different motherboard for the 5215cd?? Where would I get my hands on one of these??
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules