Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6360 not recognizing all RAM

6360 not recognizing all RAM
Jul 17, 2000, 07:19 PM

I have a performa 6360 that I'm trying to add a 32MB memory stick to. It will only recognize 16MB. I've tried it with two different sticks and both work in a 9600 perfectly. Anyone have any thoughts. I'm running OS 9.04

Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2000, 10:57 PM

Try zapping the PRAM. It's the only thing I can think of off hand... and you are sure that this is the right stick for the machine? I can't remember if the 6300 series used 72 pin simms or dimms like other macs of the time. the sockets are not compatible, so it'd be really hard to screw up.

Jul 18, 2000, 01:36 PM

I'll give it a try. It's definatley the right RAM. It does recognize 16 of te 32 megabytes.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2000, 05:14 PM

holy cannoli batman, are you saying it recognizes half the stick? or am i reading your posts all wrong? (likely)

Jul 18, 2000, 05:26 PM

That is correct. It recognizes 8MB sticks 16MB sticks and anything larger that I have tried it only recognizes 16MB of the entire size. I've inserted them into a 9600 that uses the same RAM and it will recognize the entire stick so I know that the RAM is good.

Jul 25, 2000, 12:02 PM

Unfortunately resetting the PRAM has no effect. I've tried running Tech Tools to no avail to discover why. Booting in different version of Mac OS or Linux has no effect either. Any other ideas?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2000, 01:43 PM

Are there chips on both sides of the stick? If so, this means that it is low density RAM and some memory controllers can only recognize the first bank of memory.

My guess would be that the 9600 has a better memory controller than the 6360.

drewman

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2000, 02:54 PM

Okay, the Performa 6360 needs a min of 16 megs of RAM to work, has 8 megs soldered onto the motherboard, has 2 RAM slots, RAM doesn't need to be installed in pairs, it takes 168 pin DIMMS 70ns or faster, and can take DIMM sizes or 8, 16, 32, or 64 megs so the max amount of RAM you can have is 136 megs.

So... everything seems fine. Did you try pushing the CUDA switch on the motherboard? Sometimes it solves silly things like this. You have to hold it down for like 15 seconds. Doing that will also zap the PRAM at the same time.

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2000, 02:56 PM

Oh wait! according to the apple spec database, your computer only supports operating systems 7.5.3 thru 8.1. Running 9.0.4 might be your problem.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 31, 2000, 04:20 PM

Don't trust the Apple model spec database with regard to OS 9. Apple has not been updating the older model's listings for OS campatibility.

Apple says OS 9 will work on any Powermac with a 4-digit number, and any G3 or later. Clones were not tested for compatibility, but the 6360 should be OK.

Aug 1, 2000, 02:01 PM

Pressing the CUDA switch for 15 seconds didn't work. I also tried disconnecting the motherboard battery overnight. It is beginning to look more and more like a bad logic board.

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2000, 11:49 AM

I guess that the next thing to do would be to get ahold of a copy of Tech Tool Pro or Mac Test Pro and see if it's a hardware problem.

Aug 2, 2000, 02:11 PM

I've already tried Tech Tool Pro. It does not indicate any problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules