Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installed 9.1 and DVD no longer functions

Installed 9.1 and DVD no longer functions
Ernie
Jan 12, 2001, 12:05 PM

Hi,

I have a 'Sawtooth' G4 w/ a DVD RAM drive which functioned correctly using Mac OS 9.0.4.

I erased my drive and did a fresh install of the 9.1 OS. I noticed that the DVD Player was not installed. I then did a custom install. However, the version that was installed was 1.3, a very old version. When launching the DVD, it says I don't have the correct hardware to run the DVD player. Apple System Profiler sees it as a CD-ROM drive, not a DVD-RAM drive.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

Jan 12, 2001, 12:27 PM

Need to get DVD player 2.2 off of Apple's website, it's newer than 1.3 installed by 9.1 update. Also, make sure you have Apple CD/DVD Driver 1.4 installed instead of 1.4.3 version installed by Disc Burner 1.0, which was recently released. It appears DVD player is not compatible with the newer CD/DVD driver.

Ernie  (op)
Jan 12, 2001, 06:04 PM

I got DVD player 2.2 but it won't let me install it on 9.1. It says I need OS 9.0.1 or newer. Good grief Apple...

TazmanDman
Jan 12, 2001, 06:12 PM

I was about to post my own thread about this very topic myself... I too am having the same exact problem... I'm not sure what to do about it... I hope apple comes up with an update or something soon... if somebody else out there knows about this or is experiencing similar os 9.1 effects please post...

-taz
- Taz

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Jan 13, 2001, 06:22 AM

Are you sure that Apple's DVD player isn't compatible with the Apple CD/DVD driver 1.4.3 installed by iTunes?

regis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 08:46 PM

I have a G4 450MHZ.
My DVD drive is a Matshita one.
Sine I install mac os 9.1 and Itunes
Apple player is not appearing anymore.
Same as you...
Look at in the mac os 9.1 help. There is
something about but didn't help me.

Regis.

regis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 09:46 PM

From www.macfixit.com

DVD Player vanishes Two readers report that, after installing Mac OS 9.1, DVD Player was no longer on their drive. Trying to run the separate DVD 2.2 Installer would not work (the Installer claimed that it would "only install on versions 9.0.1 and higher" - even though 9.1 was in use. One reader has success by extracting the relevant software from the DVD 2.2 Tome, via TomeViewer.

If you succeed please post a message.
What is Tome viewer?

Thanks,
Regis

regis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 10:15 PM

The solution:

Download tome viewer (freeware): http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=4561

Then expand by using this soft the dvd apple player install into a folder. then launch the DVD player, it works !

Jake Ahz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 03:01 PM

Well I did that and now I get the error message:
"Apple DVD Player has stopped because it's having problems playing this disc. The disc may be scratched or dirty or the manufacturer may have encoded the disc incorrectly"
On every dvd I have... Any thoughts?

Imac DVSE 400
256mb ram

Originally posted by regis:
The solution:
Download tome viewer (freeware): http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=4561
Then expand by using this soft the dvd apple player install into a folder. then launch the DVD player, it works !

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 05:38 PM

Apple is madly working on the next version of DVD player software that will be video chipset independent so that it will work on MX cards and ATI cards (gee, mabe even Voodoo cards?). Supposed to be ready the end of this month (that is why you can't buy a new G4 with a DVD reader drive instead of a CDRW until that time). Hopefully the new software DVD player will fix the problems you are having with your current DVD player software installation. 9.1 did not remove 2.2 for me. 1.3 is designed to work with the older Rage 128 (not Pro) card that had the hardware DVD decoder daughtercard installed which was used in the B&W G3s and Yikes G4s. There is a "newer" version of 1.3 that is installed with the 9.1 software if you have that video card.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2001, 05:30 AM

The URLs for Apple DVD Player are:

English-International

<http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11624>

English-North American

<http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11625>
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2001, 09:19 AM

There is a newer Version of the DVD player on the 9.1 CD. Version 2.3. I have had a couple posts about this already. When I did a custom install from the 91CD I noticed 2.3 as the newest version.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Ernie  (op)
Jan 15, 2001, 10:35 AM

Well, I fixed it sort of. I erased the drive again, installed OS 9. Then I installed OS 9.0.4 update and the DVD Player 2.2 software. I then installed OS 9.1 update. So, I'm back to where I started. By the way, my DVD Player was not updated to a newer version. I am still at 2.2. I guess it depends on the type of machine you have wether you get an update or not. I have a 'Sawtooth' G4.

My friend has a MP G4 and he got 2.3...

Anyway, back to work.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2001, 12:01 PM

2.3 comes off the CD. If you do a customer install from the 9.1 CD you can install 2.3
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules