Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacPoet Dead?

MacPoet Dead?
Fdanna
Mar 21, 2000, 03:15 PM

Did anyone see that iVasion,the makers of MacPoet, has been bought out by WindRiver? Why should you care? Because they've pulled all traces of MacPoet from their site and only speak of WinPoet. Anyone using Bell Atlantic DSL in the New England and New York region will be left in the cold if MacPoet breaks. Now what?

jbattistini
Mar 22, 2000, 09:49 AM

Don't worry about it. I use the X-Router from MacSense which handles the PPPoE connection for my Bell Atlantic DSL. I don't even have MAcPoet installed anymore.

Fdanna  (op)
Mar 22, 2000, 10:09 AM

So then you supply the router with your username and password and it logs in for you? Does that mean the DSL modem I had to buy will not be needed anymore?

Originally posted by jbattistini:
Don't worry about it. I use the X-Router from MacSense which handles the PPPoE connection for my Bell Atlantic DSL. I don't even have MAcPoet installed anymore.

mcollett
Mar 22, 2000, 10:21 AM

For those looking for a PPPoE client to use on the mac, Network Telesystems (www.nts.com) has one... currently the ISP/NAP licenses the SW for their service, but I think they are thinking of going direct sale. Of course, with the trend in PPPoE to PPPoE routers/modems, we might see this issue go away...

BTW, one nice thing about having PPPoE on the Mac itself is that you can have multiple Macs (or other boxes) access multiple service providers on the *same* internal network sharing one modem.

Fdanna  (op)
Mar 22, 2000, 10:44 AM

That's great information! At the moment I personally don't have a need for multiple connections, however that could change.

It would be nice to see Apple/Microsoft build PPPoE in their own clients as I find the 3rd party clients and their extensions cause conflicts with other programs. For example CodeWarriar and MacPoet have conflicting extensions.

Originally posted by mcollett:
For those looking for a PPPoE client to use on the mac, Network Telesystems (www.nts.com) has one... currently the ISP/NAP licenses the SW for their service, but I think they are thinking of going direct sale. Of course, with the trend in PPPoE to PPPoE routers/modems, we might see this issue go away...

BTW, one nice thing about having PPPoE on the Mac itself is that you can have multiple Macs (or other boxes) access multiple service providers on the *same* internal network sharing one modem.

shyne
Mar 22, 2000, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by jbattistini:
I'm looking into buying the Macsense Xrouter (MIH-120) to share my bellatlantic aDSL account. how do you like it? are you satisfied with the sharing capabilities? did you try using a software router (such as IP net router or Vicomsoft Internet gateway or softrouter) before getting the Macsense router?

thanks
shyne

Reggie
Mar 22, 2000, 12:20 PM

I was *very* bitter when Bell Canada went from DHCP (which is OS transparent) to PPPoE (which involves 3rd party software)!
So far I've tried 2 products: NTS EnterNet's beta Mac software (supplied by Bell Canada), which sends up nasty dialogs that crash a lot of Mac programs when the connection drops (if the software knows the connection drops, why can't it just reconnect seamlessly??!) and MacPOET, which likes to crash Application Switcher.
Not impressed with either, but NTS is the lesser of two evils, and it's the only game in town. Competing DSL providers have shown up in Ontario, but they also have to use PPPoE software on their 960/120 kbps connections.
Grrr...

tbp9f
Mar 22, 2000, 12:49 PM

I discovered NTS EnterNet recently and have been using it instead of MacPoET ever since. MacPoET is a CPU hog. It gobbles CPU time even when it doesn't need it, more than any other program. I like how with EnterNet, I can sign on and then quit the EnterNet application. This makes my machine faster.

morgan
Mar 22, 2000, 07:39 PM

Where can I get this? Is this free? Please end my macpoet woes...

Originally posted by tbp9f:
I discovered NTS EnterNet recently and have been using it instead of MacPoET ever since. MacPoET is a CPU hog. It gobbles CPU time even when it doesn't need it, more than any other program. I like how with EnterNet, I can sign on and then quit the EnterNet application. This makes my machine faster.

morgan
Mar 22, 2000, 08:26 PM

just downloaded enternet from http://www.nts.com/ and it works great!!

No more MacPoet. Free at last...etc...

thanks!

drbott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2000, 10:45 PM

I'm the CEO of Dr. Bott LLC, one of the distributors of the XRouter. We actually use one in our office and have for the past 6 months or so. We replaced Vicom SoftRouter with it and havn't looked back since. Before choosing SoftRouter we also used IPNetRouter for a while. Both were functional but neither was elegant. I can honestly say the XRouter is one of the coolest things we sell. And the one thing that surprises me from a selling point of view is that we get very few support calls.

Eric Prentice http://www.drbott.com/

Originally posted by shyne:
I'm looking into buying the Macsense Xrouter (MIH-120) to share my bellatlantic aDSL account. how do you like it? are you satisfied with the sharing capabilities? did you try using a software router (such as IP net router or Vicomsoft Internet gateway or softrouter) before getting the Macsense router?

thanks
shyne

newtype
Mar 22, 2000, 11:51 PM

I subscribed to Bellatlantic's DSL about a month ago and I also noticed that MacPoET's a CPU hogger by looking at it with Peek-A-Boo. Which pissed me off pretty badly, and complained to Bellatlantic DSL support saying that this "infospeed dsl" is actually not an DHCP and uses PPPoE which I never heard about until i was subscribed.

The easies way to get around the hogging problem is to force quit the application. I was playing around with MacPoET and found out that, it seems to actually direct the TCP information to their module when you dial up the first time and that's the only thing that this MacPoET application do. when you're connected, this application just monitors the bandwidth, and counts the upstream/downstream load. (which is done really unefficiently.. bad programmers)

anyway, next time you connect using MacPoET, wait for it to connect, than force quit the application. (option+command+esc) and boom.. you're still connected but no longer running the stupid cpu hogging MacPoET.

Originally posted by tbp9f:

[This message has been edited by newtype (edited 03-22-2000).]

jbattistini
Mar 23, 2000, 10:06 AM

It would highly recommend it. You just connect the DSL Modem into the X-Router's Wan Port, connect your machines into the LAN ports, set fake IPs on the machines, use Netscape to log into the X-Router, put in your information and forget all about it. It took maybe 10 minutes to set up. It's fantastic.

Originally posted by shyne:

thanks
shyne

DC Hughes
Nov 2, 2000, 05:25 PM

What's up w/this MacPoet nonsense?

I surfing along fine until Bell Atlantic chnaged something at the CO and now I have to install a new modem and this MacPoet monstrosity--which has done nothing but slow down my machine AND I still can't get out to the 'Net...

Anyone else having this problem? I think BA/Verizon should have left it alone; i.e. no need to install anything beyond the built OS components...

[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules