Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > memory requirements

memory requirements
Barry Rabin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2001, 01:14 PM

I heard a rumour that the System takes up to 70 Mb of RAM. Can this be right? I am still running 8.6 and using about 25 Mb....can anyone suggest a minimum physical RAM for installing 9.1? I am running a 2400PB which is maxed out at 80 Mb physical RAM....

error404ts
Jan 27, 2001, 03:27 PM

you have more than enough RAM. those whose OSs are using so uch memory are either running their systems without VM on or have an incredible amount of RAM installed. I have 256 mb and am running at 56 nmb with several other apps running. without other apps runing it uses about 50-52 mb.

you'll be fine.

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2001, 03:42 PM

Yes, it depends on numerous factors such as VM on or off, how much physical RAM you have, and the number of control panels, extensions, etc you have.

I'm running at about 92MB for my system heap with 9.1 and 512MB RAM with VM off and loads of extensions and control panels.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 27, 2001, 04:07 PM

It would seem that OS 9.1 is hogging up alot more RAM on my G3/266 Desktop, then OS 9.0.4 used to do.

I've read numerous posts about OS 9.0.4 being a memory "hog" but I never had that problem, now under 9.1 I'm seeing the issue.

I suppose I should check some settings but it seems kinda weird to me.

Mike

Fredo
Senior User
Jan 27, 2001, 04:48 PM

I've got 384MB RAM, and the OS 9.1 takes 74.8, VM off.
Who are the Brain Police?

Dan87
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2001, 05:09 PM

I've got 160 megs of RAM with VM on. The system is using 33.1 megs now with a pretty full extension set and 3 apps open (IE, AIM, and OE).

Dan

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2001, 05:39 PM

9.0.4 with VM off takes up 40-50 MB at startup for me... after using a few applications (esp. IE), that can jump as high as 80 MB.

With VM on both those numbers are about half.

Cipher13
Jan 27, 2001, 06:56 PM

128 RAM, 250 virtual, 9 apps open, trimmed extension set. 44.6 megs.
Not too bad at all

Cipher13

Barry Rabin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2001, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
128 RAM, 250 virtual, 9 apps open, trimmed extension set. 44.6 megs.
Not too bad at all

Cipher13
This the first really encouraging reply I've seen. I guess the key is to use large amounts of VM and a trimmed extension set. But what do you mean exactly by trimmed? Third party stuff or OS too?

Cipher13
Jan 28, 2001, 04:23 PM

Oh no, EVERYTHING trimmed. Hell, I deleted the sounds and keyboards that I didn't want out of the System file, even deleted the help folder...
I mean trimming everything. And when it comes to extensions, be brutal. If you don't need it, don't keep it.

Cipher13

muttfree
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2001, 10:09 PM

Actually, the trick is deciding what extensions, cp's and CSMs you NEED on a daily basis, and DISABLE the rest, but dont TRASH them unless you know 1000% for sure that you will never use it. That way, if you find a program or function later on that requires certain item(s), you can always re-enable them and restart, use it, and disable it again. OR........ you can create seperate SETS in the extensions manager for special things like DV editing, CD burning ect ect , and use them only when needed.

Some possible exceptions to this exist for some people, for me things like Multiple users, Location mgr, Launcher and 50 or so others.........never have used them, never will, so in the trash they went right after installation

B&W G3/ 450 / 9.1/ 512 ram / VM * OFF * = system uses 36-48MB.. no apps open, 50-60 with 3 or 4 apps running

VM *ON * = system uses about 20 -28MB no apps, 35-45 with apps open

And, unless you are a squeeky clean newbie, you can dump all those
help files, liscense agreements, read me's, late breakers ect ect and all of that kind of crap that most apps install.....save some HD space too !

HTH

[This message has been edited by muttfree (edited 01-28-2001).]
You can have me mac when u pry me cold, dead fingas off da mothabowd :eek:

Fred CHOTTIN
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2001, 05:58 AM

My 2 cents :
on my iMac rev.B with 64M RAM, VM set at 128M, OS 9.1 starts at 26.4M to go upto 29.8-30M.I could go lower but i have a lot of fonts and no fonts utilities at the moment.
I don't use any MS applications as everytime, they are taking a lot of memory for themselves and for the OS.

------------------
Fight against the Dark Force (Microsoft)
Fight against the Dark Force (Microsoft)

bookrat
Jan 29, 2001, 07:15 AM

FYI: Pismo w/ 512MB RAM, sitting around 60+Mb RAM with all unwanted extensions removed. Still pretty happy at this stage, though I remember the good old days...

------------------
post_count+1
qp
post_count+1
qp

confuser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2001, 03:45 PM

Barry,

Yes you do have enough physical RAM for OS 9.1 .

And yes, along with trimming extensions, the key is turning VM on. However, VM on or off is a highly debated topic and should be considered in light of many issues (too long to go over at this point).

But you do not have to use much VM. Apple recommends running with VM on and setting it to just 1 mb above your physical RAM. With this you will see your RAM usage for your system go down to the levels as others have described here. This is due to the way that PPC code runs.

Again, the choice is yours - look for other forum topics here and at other sites on this issue.

------------------
Kill the brain and you kill the ghoul.
Kill the brain and you kill the ghoul.

Forum Links
Forum Rules