Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Just call me, "APPLE SAVIOR"

Just call me, "APPLE SAVIOR"
PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2001, 04:25 AM

I've got the plan that will dig Apple out of the doldrums to rock the computing world. What Apple really needs to do is come out with it's OS X as an operating system for IBM compatible computers. Think about it. Apple could offer their far superior software for those millions and millions of PC people and put Bill and his bogus software out of business. I'm not talking about Mac / PC compatability here. I'm just talking about those talented Apple software writers coming out with an operating system to compete with Windoze v.whatever. Remember, Compaq isn't one of the 10 highest valued companies on the face of the earth, Microsoft is. Software is where it's at, people.

What do you think?

PeteWK

mindwaves
Mar 16, 2001, 05:06 AM

Apple Idiot Savior (AIS)

PeteWK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2001, 05:52 AM

I em sory that u cant no what I meen when the big werds r yoused in the 4um. If u got a edgemacation maybee u cude no some gud things like I du. Bee hapi beecus ther is sum hop 4 u 2.

Butt do not bee skard of that beecus if u evr hav a gud eyedia, blo yer nos and it wil go away lik u allwas do now.

PeteWK

[This message has been edited by PeteWK (edited 03-16-2001).]

doug young
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2001, 05:56 AM

I'm sure this has come up before. I read rumors somewhere that there are people who have had OSX running on x86 and that the darwin core at least, definitely runs with just a few minor modifications.

Don't forget, Apple still want's to sell it's hardware.

If the mac os ports to the PC world it could get a bad reputation.
One of the many reasons windows is such a dog, is it has to work with so many different hardware configurations, which are beyond Microshafts control.

Part of the beauty of The Mac is the (mostly) seamless integration between software and hardware.

------------------
I used to belong to a three ring circus.
Yeah, Me and two other ar5eholes!

PeteWK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2001, 06:00 AM

That's a good point, Doug. I'm thinking more along the lines of the highend machines where one can be assured of some quality. I'm not proposing that Apple take over the market as that would be a pipe dream. Rather, Apple could offer an alternative to Microsoft. They could program the Mac for the creative sector and the IBM for the business sector. Just a thought that needs ironing out. (But at least I'm thinking, which is more than I can say for "mindwaves")

PeteWK

eddieP
Mar 16, 2001, 01:15 PM

o.k. -- what about the whole idea of product support? assuming that apple goes through with getting OS X on pee cee windoze machines do you think that they are really interested in fielding tech support calls from all the start menu bozos?

i say screw 'em...if they want a top quality operating system they should buy a top quality computer to go with it

AirSluf
Senior User
Mar 16, 2001, 04:54 PM

Every two weeks some well intentioned rocket scientist re-invents this wheel without thinking of the implications as far as maybe Microsoft would take offense and either take action overtly, or just slow Office/IE/Outlook dev to a crawl, making files incompatible again and killing the whole shebang.

I think it would be really cool that everyone used X, but unless the M$ breakup holds up, don't hold your breath...

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Mar 16, 2001, 05:21 PM

This may piss some people off, but please give it some thought. In a perfect "utopian" computing world I believe a person would go out, buy thier computer with no OS.

Then they would have a variety of choices of Operating System(s) to pop on there. Joe wants to run Windows, John wants to run Linux, Mary wants UNIX, and Lou wants Mac OS.

Microsoft no longer dominates the IBM clone market thus freeing-up that market for other developers. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your viewpoint) this would mean Apple would have to make thier Hardware more competetive in the same marketplace by lowering costs drastically. But this would mean more hardware sales for Apple also

They'd actually become a more viable Hardware company, and probably one of the only ones that also develops software as-well.

The only way it could start is if Microsoft were forbidden to include (but still be capable of manufacturing) Windows with IBM Clones, and likewise Apple were forbidden to include (but still be capable of manufacturing) Mac OS with thier own hardware.

Then it's totally up to the buyer which OS they want, and porting of Operating systems would begin. You'd see true windows running on Macs (not emulation mind you) and true Mac OS running on IBM clones.

Microsoft would probably also begin developing actual hardware to really compete in this type of "utopian" market. Other hardware developers may follow suit as well and we'd have a wider variety of software and hardware.

This gives the buyer more power over what they truly want, and forces them to think a little before investing in something. To actually research the hardware and the software rather than accepting it for what it is.

But that'll never happen anyway so I'm just preaching to the choir

Mike

AirSluf
Senior User
Mar 17, 2001, 12:49 AM

Mike it would be a great thing,

Unfortunately a person is smart while people are not. People are like a herd of sheep. Sheep don't want choices, they want comfort and predictability. Buying ready to rock out of the box is comforting and predictable.

That's why you like all the others who read these boards and use a Mac, are at worst black sheep, but more likely something else in sheeps clothing...

PeteWK  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2001, 01:32 AM

My thought springs from the fact that most of the computer profits these days come from the software sector, not hardware. If you write a good program, you spin a disk, sell it for 100 bucks add your support etc and you're set. With hardware there's manufacturing etc. These days the hardware guys are hurting plain and simple.

Microsoft dominates the OS market and someone should challenge them. Who else that we know of writes a killer OS? It wouldn't be hard at all to re-write it for IBM hardware.

PeteWK

AirSluf
Senior User
Mar 17, 2001, 03:48 AM

Pete,

all you say is true, but there is a lot more to what "Apple and Mac" are than just the software. Either without the other just doesn't work as well. Too much variability in the Wintel world for anyone to guarantee thier stuff will always work, hardware or software. In a Mac the limited hardware set is both a curse and a blessing. Less variability == more control over potential problems, but limits the market.

I don't think any company could cut out as large a piece as the hardware divisions and survive in any viable form. It's that old saying "Nothing personal, just busine$$"

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2001, 08:56 PM

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2001, 03:02 AM

How about after the release of OS X Apple ports OS 9 to x86 hardware? Of course they wait to see how well OS X flies. Give the new OS plenty of lead time, say a year. If enough people have made the transition to OS X then go ahead with the port of OS 9.

Personally I think giving the Wintel world OS X would be a disaster. Apple's hardware sales would evaporate as the Mac experience could be had for as little as $129.

------------------
"Purity of Essence."
iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

Forum Links
Forum Rules