Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't Delete Files In Trash...

Can't Delete Files In Trash...
iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2001, 08:45 PM

I just recently uninstalled OS X 10.0.4 and everything was deleted from the trash without problems except for some items in the Modem Scripts folder. Now, I know the whole thing over deleting items has been killed but... The message I get when trying to empty the trash is:

The Item "NTT-ME MN128????? 128K ARA" could not be deleted, because it cannot be found. Do you want to continue?

So what do I do if they are files that cannot be found!? This is rediculous. If they are in the trash then they are obviously something! Anyway, how do I get rid of them? Here is the list of the files...

Library/Modem Scripts/( NTT-ME MN128????? 128K ARA, NTT-ME MN128????? 128K(MP), NTT-ME MN128????? 32K(PIAF, NTT-ME MN128????? 64K ARA(PIAF )
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2001, 10:30 PM

Which OS are you in now?
Later
Chuck

iPond317  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2001, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Chuck_star:
<STRONG>Which OS are you in now?</STRONG>
Mac OS 9.1, OS X is not installed anymore.
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2001, 12:44 AM

thats weird, i thought you were talkin about windows for a sec with those file names

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2001, 02:07 AM

Can you pull the files out of the trash?
What size are they?
If they are 0 kb. What happens if you leave them on your desktop and reboot?
Can you stuff the file?
Sorry about all the questions. I'm very curious though.
Later
Chuck

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2001, 02:12 AM

try using "techtool" or "disc burn" (no not disc burner) to wipe the files

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: el chupacabra ]

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2001, 10:14 AM

Id try running Disk First Aid, or Norton. I'm willing to bet you have at leats a lightly corrupted drive.

Fredo
Senior User
Jul 28, 2001, 01:57 PM

What happens if you key option while emptying trash?
Who are the Brain Police?

iPond317  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2001, 06:54 PM

I've tried pulling them out of the Trash and then restarting, rebuilding the desktop, repairing the hard drive with Disk First Aid (it did have problems but repaired it and reverified with no problems), emptying the Trash with the 'option' key pressed, but I have not tried any third party software... yet.

Also, when trying to do a Get Info... on it tells me that it can't be found again. In list view, the items are 4K in size. It probably is a corrupted drive but I don't have the time to format and then reinstall right now. So that'll have to wait for a while :-(

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2001, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by iPond317:
<STRONG>I've tried pulling them out of the Trash and then restarting, rebuilding the desktop, repairing the hard drive with Disk First Aid (it did have problems but repaired it and reverified with no problems), emptying the Trash with the 'option' key pressed, but I have not tried any third party software... yet.
:-(</STRONG>
Try the following steps.......

TO SOLVE A PROBLEM WHERE A FILE/DOCUMENT CANNOT BE DELETED...

1. Create a new folder on the Desk Top..(You don't have to name it )
2. Drag/Drop the problem file/document upon the created folder..
3. Create a text file/document,"Save As" to the Desk Top, and name thefile/document the same as the problem file
4. Place the file/document in the folder that has the problem file.
5. Mac OS will not allow two files/documents with similar names in the same location.
6. Dialog will ask if you want to replace the older file. Click agree.
7. Delete folder and you are finished.........
�NOTE: You can use the same steps for a troublesome folder also......A folder cannot replace a file, nor can a file replace a folder..!!!!!!

ANOTHER WAY TO SOLVE A PROBLEM WHERE A FILE/DOCUMENT CANNOT BE DELETED......

1. Launch DropStuff & from the File menu, set preferences to "delete original after stuffing" and select destination "same as" original"........
2. Go to File menu , select "Stuff"........
3. In the save/open dialog that appears, hilite item, click on "Add" and click on "Stuff"
4. New dialog appears, "save" to Desk Top........
5. DropStuff creates a .SIT file on Desk Top and it deletes the original.......
6. Drag the stuffed items to the trash and empty it......
6. You are done.........It has worked for me many, many times......
�Don't forget to reset your Stuffit preferences back to where they were........

------------==============--------------

#295 from Ask Al � From Ask Al at &gt;&gt; http://www.alsoft.com

How do I delete a file that cannot be deleted? I get an error when I try to empty the Trash.

Answer

If you have a file in the Trash but are unable to delete it then you have directory damage or you have a file that is either open, locked, or protected by a security program. If you have directory damage then you have a serious problem that should be addressed right away before the damage gets worse.

There are several different types of directory damage that can prevent a file from being deleted. To repair the directory damage you should start with Disk First Aid..

Unfortunately, Disk First Aid and even some third party repair utilities are unable to diagnose all directory problems that prevent a file from being deleted and they may find nothing wrong with the directory. In that case you will have to use a more potent repair utility.

To delete an open file you just have to close it. You can tell if your file is open because the error message you got from the Finder tells you that the file is in use.
If you can't figure out how to close the file then restart with extensions disabled and empty the Trash before doing anything else. If that doesn't work then start up from a Mac OS CD and then empty the Trash.

To delete a locked file you either unlock it or you hold down the Option key while emptying the Trash.

If you have installed security software that is preventing you from emptying the Trash then you need to consult the software's documentation to learn how to empty the Trash.
bigbiker

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2001, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by iPond317:
<STRONG>I've tried pulling them out of the Trash and then restarting, rebuilding the desktop, repairing the hard drive with Disk First Aid (it did have problems but repaired it and reverified with no problems), emptying the Trash with the 'option' key pressed, but I have not tried any third party software... yet.
:-(</STRONG>
Try the following steps.......

TO SOLVE A PROBLEM WHERE A FILE/DOCUMENT CANNOT BE DELETED...

1. Create a new folder on the Desk Top..(You don't have to name it )
2. Drag/Drop the problem file/document upon the created folder..
3. Create a text file/document,"Save As" to the Desk Top, and name thefile/document the same as the problem file
4. Place the file/document in the folder that has the problem file.
5. Mac OS will not allow two files/documents with similar names in the same location.
6. Dialog will ask if you want to replace the older file. Click agree.
7. Delete folder and you are finished.........
�NOTE: You can use the same steps for a troublesome folder also......A folder cannot replace a file, nor can a file replace a folder..!!!!!!

ANOTHER WAY TO SOLVE A PROBLEM WHERE A FILE/DOCUMENT CANNOT BE DELETED......

1. Launch DropStuff & from the File menu, set preferences to "delete original after stuffing" and select destination "same as" original"........
2. Go to File menu , select "Stuff"........
3. In the save/open dialog that appears, hilite item, click on "Add" and click on "Stuff"
4. New dialog appears, "save" to Desk Top........
5. DropStuff creates a .SIT file on Desk Top and it deletes the original.......
6. Drag the stuffed items to the trash and empty it......
6. You are done.........It has worked for me many, many times......
�Don't forget to reset your Stuffit preferences back to where they were........

------------==============--------------

#295 from Ask Al � From Ask Al at &gt;&gt; http://www.alsoft.com

How do I delete a file that cannot be deleted? I get an error when I try to empty the Trash.

Answer

If you have a file in the Trash but are unable to delete it then you have directory damage or you have a file that is either open, locked, or protected by a security program. If you have directory damage then you have a serious problem that should be addressed right away before the damage gets worse.

There are several different types of directory damage that can prevent a file from being deleted. To repair the directory damage you should start with Disk First Aid..

Unfortunately, Disk First Aid and even some third party repair utilities are unable to diagnose all directory problems that prevent a file from being deleted and they may find nothing wrong with the directory. In that case you will have to use a more potent repair utility.

To delete an open file you just have to close it. You can tell if your file is open because the error message you got from the Finder tells you that the file is in use.
If you can't figure out how to close the file then restart with extensions disabled and empty the Trash before doing anything else. If that doesn't work then start up from a Mac OS CD and then empty the Trash.

To delete a locked file you either unlock it or you hold down the Option key while emptying the Trash.

If you have installed security software that is preventing you from emptying the Trash then you need to consult the software's documentation to learn how to empty the Trash.
bigbiker

<anonymous>
Jul 30, 2001, 11:01 AM

You could also try Trash It!

iPond317  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2001, 12:55 PM

Well, you probably aren't going to believe this but I am able to create another document with the exact same file name and put it in the folder with the files that can't be deleted. I'm thinking the only way to get rid of them is to format :-( And I really don't feel like doing that. I really should've gone with the AppleCare Protection plan and gotten TechTool Deluxe! Oh well, just for proof of what it looks like, check out my iDisk ( ipond317 ).

Forum Links
Forum Rules