Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > So what? OS 9.2 won't be available to ALL?

So what? OS 9.2 won't be available to ALL?
MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Aug 4, 2001, 12:29 PM

Apparrently I've been in a fog about the actual existence of OS 9.2. All the postings I read and I just thought people were B.S.-ing. So I shuffle off to the apple discussion forum and find many postings related to OS 9.2.

As we all know Apple doesn't let many rumors or (B.S.) fly around on thier fora, so I read a few postings. Apparrently OS 9.2 is only coming with the new "Quicksilver" G4 models

So my question is.........Will OS 9.2 ever be available for the rest of us?

I'm on a Powermac G3/266 beige desktop and while it's certainly not cutting edge hardware here, I can't help but wonder and worry about why Apple is advancing the OS but leaving so many of us out of the loop.

Is this all just some marketting technique to make us older Mac users buy new G4's? Or will OS 9.2 ever be available to pre-Quicksilver G4 users?

Mike

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2001, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>
Is this all just some marketting technique to make us older Mac users buy new G4's? Or will OS 9.2 ever be available to pre-Quicksilver G4 users?

Mike</STRONG>
and to make us switch to OSX, thell probably make it avaliable for downlaod after 10.1 though, if not before

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2001, 04:00 AM

Wont be a download, 20$

The Dude
Banned
Aug 5, 2001, 07:47 AM

People've said that it will be included with 10.1 as they included 9.1 with 10.0 (4K78).

I sure hope so, cause I hate to leech off my broadband friends.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2001, 09:45 AM

From what I've read, the only difference between 9.1 and 9.2 is that 9.2 has better compatibility in Classic mode under OS X. So, if you're not running OS X, there's no reason whatsoever to upgrade to 9.2. That's why it's only going out on the new machines, and shipping with 10.1.

I think griping about all the OS revisions not being available fo free is pretty silly. Apple is a corporation that exists to make aprofit. The idea is that we like their products enough to buy them. If 2 CD's with 10.1 and 9.2 isn't worth $20.00 to you, that's your business, and too bad for Apple if everybody thinks so. Personally, I don't think it's such a bad deal, but finding a freind to burn you a copy of his may not be that difficult either.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2001, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>I think griping about all the OS revisions not being available fo free is pretty silly. Apple is a corporation that exists to make aprofit. The idea is that we like their products enough to buy them. If 2 CD's with 10.1 and 9.2 isn't worth $20.00 to you, that's your business, and too bad for Apple if everybody thinks so. Personally, I don't think it's such a bad deal, but finding a freind to burn you a copy of his may not be that difficult either.</STRONG>
I don't question Apples need to make profit, but I don't have to waste money either. Charging $20 for the 10.1 bugfix doesn't become less rude if they include the necessary classic updates and call them 9.2.

-

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2001, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:
<STRONG>

I don't question Apples need to make profit, but I don't have to waste money either. Charging $20 for the 10.1 bugfix doesn't become less rude if they include the necessary classic updates and call them 9.2.

-</STRONG>
I do think 10.1 is going to be more than a bug fix. Anyone who bought 10.0 with eyes open, knew it was "missing features" and was for "early adopters," two reasons why I exersised my capitalistic right to not waste my money, either, and didn't buy it.

I think 10.1 will be enough of an upgrade that Apple considers it more than just a bug fix. 9.0.2 to 9.0.4 is what I'd call a bug fix-- there were no new discernable features, and it was a free download. 10.1 should have quite a few new features not offered in10.0, and Apple feels that's worth charging for. Some of their potential customers, however, might not consider that worth paying for. That's the inherent risk of capitalism.

Making 9.2 available to people not buying 10.1 would be just silly, since 9.2 doesn't do anything new, except work better with 10.1.

CV

edit: wish I could type!

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: chris v ]

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

oranjdisc
Senior User
Aug 5, 2001, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
<STRONG>
Making 9.2 available to people not buying 10.1 would be just silly, since 9.2 doesn't do anything new, except work better with 10.1.
[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: chris v ]</STRONG>
After installing OS 9.2 on a PowerMac G4 (dual 533) I would beg to differ. I had been running 9.1 without a hitch, but after installing 9.2 things started acting up. The Finder would quit almost 5-6 times a day, audio poppped in and out, and the screen draw became insanely slow -- only a reboot would fix the problems.

I could be completely wrong, and be an isolated case, but perhaps there's a REASON why Apple hasn't made 9.2 freely available to everyone just yet. Perhaps in it's current state, it's optimized / coded somehow for the QuickSilver, and may do screwy things on other hardware. For example, the OS 9.1 CD that came with my G4 doesn't work at all on my dual usb iBook...lending me to believe there is something to this 9.2 vanishing act.

I've learned my lesson. I reinstalled 9.1 (clean install) and will wait for the "official" release of 9.2. Then I have a right to bitch.

MikeM32  (op)
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Aug 5, 2001, 02:23 PM

I suppose $20.00 isn't so bad. I'd prefer not downloading so much anyway, so this way I get the CD's. I'm guessing those of us that do own OSX will have to use those "up-to-date" coupons. This will be a "first" for me.

Still ya gotta wonder if OSX 10.1 will even include OS 9.2 or not. As for Apples need to make a profit, I totally agree. No business could survive on give-aways.

Mike

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2001, 11:55 PM

chris v Anyone who bought 10.0 with eyes open, knew it was "missing features" and
was for "early adopters," two reasons why I exersised my capitalistic right to not waste my money, either, and didn't buy it.
I have to disagree with you there. OS 10 was advertised in every mac magazine just as every other OS update has been.... As an OS serperior to OS 9 in every way, speed, multitasking etc.. This is all fine for us mac followers who know Apple's greedy tactics as well as how unfinished 10 was, but many people bought this who didn't know a thing about computers thought it would fix all their current computer troubles. I feel sorry for these people. Now what are they thinking seeing as now they have to pay for another upgrade again.

A lot of people came to me enthusiastic about buying OS 10 and how it won't crash and all(usually while reading me off the great adds Apple made for it). Luckely I managed to convince them all not to get it for the time being. Lets forget the speed issue for a sec, can you imagine how pissed they'd be when they found out there were no scanner, printer or other drivers and it couldn't run any program in classic that interfaced with the hardware. Remember "normal" people don't want to boot into different partitions constantly to get work done.

The way I see it is customers already payed for the update, it's not like Apple is giving it away or anything.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2001, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>I suppose $20.00 isn't so bad. I'd prefer not downloading so much anyway, so this way I get the CD's. I'm guessing those of us that do own OSX will have to use those "up-to-date" coupons. This will be a "first" for me.</STRONG>
I'm sure every vendor likes customers like you. What a great economical break-through... every company could sell anything to a price determined only by possible things you might be able to do with their product in some future and then charge for each feature you want to be able to work for you after you already paid the full prize.

And... what makes you think you can use one of these coupons? Try to think for a moment... Who has these coupons? Who should get this upgrade? Who is supposed to pay?

... I still have three such coupons I got with 8.x. I offer them to you for $19.99 each, how's that?

-

Osirisis
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2001, 12:14 PM

Well, if we're going to have to pay for the update, where's the pre-order page? Surely it makes sense to set up such a page so that Apple can get the right number of CDs printed off in the first run and so we don't have to wait for months for a 10.1 CD to show up....

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2001, 09:50 PM

Don't be in a hurry to get 9.2. I loaded it on a G4/400 AGP, and Internet Exploder kept freezing up, after only 5 - 10 minutes of web inactivity! I also had trouble with Toast 5.01 no longer recognizing my EZQuest CDR-W (fire wire). Apparently there may be some ROM issues, and it may be that 9.2 is optimized only for the new Quicksilver machines. I went back to 9.1, and my problems went away! Moral of the story: don't be in such a rush to use a new piece of software, especially if it isn't designed to run on your equipment!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules