Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Belkin USB Busport Problem

Belkin USB Busport Problem
JimWall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 1999, 01:43 AM

I just spoke to Belkin tech support and they comfirmed that the USB Busport PCI Card is not compatiable with OS 9. It seems that they use Apple drivers and the ones they have and the ones on the OS CD are not compatiable with the card. They are waiting to hear from Apple on this.
James Wall
[email protected]

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 1999, 02:41 PM

Apparently this is pretty common. Many folks are not able to start up with their hubs plugged in, myself included (iMac rev.B OS9)

You might try to start up with the hub unplugged, then plug it in after the startup process is complete.

A lot of trouble, but it's working for me while I hear from MacAlly about my hub.

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 1999, 11:04 PM

OK, stupid moderator.

Just read your post again and this time it was clear that you are using a PCI card, not a hub. Not sure why it wasn't clear the first time.

It is still pertinent that there have been several USB hub-related problems with OS 9, and apparently with the cards as well.

shook
Nov 6, 1999, 03:27 PM

There is a workaround, although not an easy one... Got this from Macintouch's Mac OS 9 Compatibility report at http://www.macintouch.com/m90_compatibility.html:

(note: you may have to perform a custom install of USB from the OS 9 CD if there aren't any USB extensions in your extensions folder.)

* Download USB DDK 1.3.5f8 from Apple at ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/Mac_OS_USB/Mac_OS_USB_DDK_v1.3.5f8.sea.hqx

* Open the USB Support extension (in Extensions-AppleBuilt) with ResEdit and create a usbx resource, ID 1984. (the extension disables itself and shows an alert if this resource is not present).

* Copy the modified USB Support extension into your extensions folder and reboot.

I have done all the modifications, but I have not yet tested mine (I'll restart after I've finished downloading software updates. :-)

mkbhatia
Administrator
Nov 6, 1999, 03:42 PM

shook
Nov 6, 1999, 03:46 PM

Do NOT try that first - That worked with OS 8.5 or 8.6, but according to the TIL, USB Adapter Card Support 1.2 specifically does NOT work with OS 9.

By the way, I've rebooted, and my BusPort is working under Mac OS 9, just fine, after using the above instructions.

mkbhatia
Administrator
Nov 7, 1999, 03:51 PM

Well, I'd try it first: it's easier, it worked for other people, and the TIL seems to be wrong (at least from what we can tell).

-m

tbp9f
Nov 7, 1999, 04:35 PM

Using 1.3.5f8 is working great for me with my XLR8 USB PCI card. Seems like the system is more stable than when I had 1.2 installed on OS 9 (apple says not to do this; 1.2 is NOT intended to work with OS 9)

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 1999, 08:58 PM

I don't understand all the hubbub!

I have a Beige G3/300 with a Belkin USB PC Card and a Macally 4-port USB hub. We use Macally iMousePro and an USB Zip drive.

I installed OS9 over a month ago (one of the few who got the shipping version early) on this computer, a heavily used computer shared by 12 people. I literally have not had a system crash since installation.

Prior to OS9, we were running OS8.5.1 with Adapter Card support 1.2. The system froze 3-4 times daily and I could not even think about installing 8.6-crash city.

OS9 has solved all of those problems and the USB works flawlessly!

------------------
Don
Don

WickedDyno
Nov 14, 1999, 12:35 AM

I tried two things. First off I downloaded the USB DDK thing and did the ResEdit boolaboo, but before installing it I tried reinstalling the USB extensions from the MacOS 9 CD. Still no go.

Then I installed the hacked USB Support and JOY! My Kensington Orbit USB worked on startup.

(Yeah, I know there's a ADB orbit. I got it mainly to test the USB port, and I'm planning -- or at least I was -- to get one of those kick-ass Intellimouse Explorers. I'm getting to like this thing, though. . . Hell, I can have two mice, or three actually.)

Only problem is that the drivers aren't quit up to snuff yet, which is probably why they're still a developer release. I occaisionally lose the connection between the orbit and my machine. Not sure if the same thing would happen with a non-mouse item.

Also, either the USB driver or Kensington Mouseworks seems to cause control problems with SNES9x.

------------------
Gravity is the enemy.

shook
Nov 16, 1999, 11:23 PM

Well, Apple has released the USB Card Support 1.3.5 now...
http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11543

JimWall  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 1999, 12:41 AM

Thanks to all, I've got it running now. Both the hack and the new drivers worked!
James Wall
[email protected]

WickedDyno
Nov 17, 1999, 02:03 AM

Has anyone else had the problem of a USB mouse losing the connection? I'm mousing around just fine, then suddenly *poof* and then *arrgh* as I die in Klingon Honor Guard.

It's happening both with the developer drivers and the new released ones.

------------------
Gravity is the enemy.

LarryStew
Apr 13, 2001, 09:20 AM

I have a problem with my G3 with a USB Belkin card. I'm running 9.1 and have the latest Apple usb driver. My devices are not being seen after my computer is woken from sleep. Other than that, the card seems to work fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules