Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bootcamp: XP Pro install debacle on iMac

Bootcamp: XP Pro install debacle on iMac
Lab Bunny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2008, 11:18 PM

I have a brand new iMac 20 inch-2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 duo and I cannot succeed at loading Windows XP Pro using BootCamp. Because there are no internal optical drives, I've attached an EZQuest Boa (reads and writes all the CD & DVD formats) via Firewire. I've used Boot Camp Assistant (BCA) to create a 32 GB partition in MS-DOS (FAT32).

But when inset my Windows XP install disk (OEM, but brand new and purchased from a reputable dealer) and click start the windows installer in BCA I boot to the black screen that says "no bootable disk found--insert boot disk and press any key to continue." If I boot while holding down the option key, I can choose to boot into Macintosh or Windows, but choosing Windows leads to the same screen. I can see the Windows install CD on the desktop w/the title VRMPOEM_EN

There are some crazy links out there telling me to reburn the Windows XP install disk if a certain WINNT.sif file is present on my install disk, but there isn't such file in the i386 file of the install disk.

I've tried removing the partition and then trying again using various sizes in BCA, but I still can't begin to install Windows XP.

* I am not given the option of choosing a partition to format when rebooting.
* I can't boot to the internal optical drive because there *is* no internal optical drive on the stupid thing.
* The optical drive and firewire port are working normally.
* The install disk does not look scratched or dirty.
* I have updated my firmware, my Boot ROM version is IM71.007A.B03, and am using the 1GB of RAM it came with from Apple.

I've never had such a headache with a Mac in all my 14 years of working with them. I want to play some specific games using Windows XP Pro, so just enjoying the Apple OS isn't enough.

Help!

mr. burns
Senior User
Apr 12, 2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lab Bunny View Post
my Windows XP install disk OEM
most likely, that's your problem. pretty sure bootcamp only likes retail install discs.

not all who wander are lost.

Lab Bunny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2008, 11:55 PM

But there's no difference between the OEM and the retail version besides support material and packaging. No instructions or fancy box...that's it. It is the full version with SP2, not an upgrade. I've built 3 custom PCs and loaded XP Pro via OEM disks each time and it loads exactly like the retail version. I've also read as long as it has a legal serial number, it can even be a copy of the installation disk... Now I'm even more confused.

Lab Bunny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2008, 12:01 AM

On a similar thread in this forum, I found the advice regarding OEM:

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If it has one of those 20-or so character long alphanumeric keys, it's probably a complete, bootable disc. Here's how to see if it will actually boot in your computer: put the disc in the drive, and once OS X recognizes that it's there, select "Restart" from the Apple menu. As soon as it shuts down, hold the 'C' key, which will force the computer to boot from the optical drive. It "should" boot into the Windows installer, at which point you may want to just go ahead and install XP - making sure that you select the partition labeled "C:" when asked where to install.

However, I don't have an internal drive to boot from, only an external drive...

Cold Warrior
Apr 13, 2008, 12:06 AM

How does a brand new iMac not have an internal optical (CD/DVD) drive?

Lab Bunny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2008, 12:11 AM

It's basically just a big screen...no cpu box unit whatsoever. No PCI slots, no 5.25" drive bays. Just a screen with a few USB and fire wire ports on the back.

Lab Bunny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2008, 12:18 AM

Wow, the Queen of RTFM (that would be me) didn't see the side optical drive on the big screen since she didn't, well, RTFM. Granted, there wasn't an enclosed manual. I'm going to give that a try. If it works, feel free to spread the story, which will be much like the one about the person who thought the CD drive was a cupholder.

ibook_steve
Apr 13, 2008, 12:22 AM

I'm very, very confused. Why does your brand new iMac not have an optical drive?

There's a very good chance that this OEM version of Windows won't work with BC. Is it SP2?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

mr. burns
Senior User
Apr 13, 2008, 12:22 AM

wow...

not all who wander are lost.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 13, 2008, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I'm very, very confused. Why does your brand new iMac not have an optical drive?
That was confusing me as well.

An OEM disc should work just fine nevertheless. It's just a standard XP disc which accepts OEM license keys rather than retail ones. Boot Camp doesn't care, it just sets up the partition, provides the boot switcher and Apple provides drivers for the hardware.

cms
Senior User
Apr 13, 2008, 08:19 AM

I could not believe this thread when I first read it. But, assuming the OP is not taking us all for a (faintly entertaining) ride, I thought it might be helpful to confirm that OEM Windoze disks work just fine, provided there is a valid licence key included. I've completed dozens of successful XP and Vista (Business and Ultimate) installations using OEM disks, all without a hitch. AFAIK, OEM disks, once installed and activated, are bound to that machine's specific BIOS. The only other difference i am aware of is that you don't get retail display box (big deal) or manual - which is rubbish anyway and doesn't contain anything that can't be found very easily online.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 13, 2008, 09:43 AM

Once Lab Bunny finds the slot loading drive on the upper right edge of her iMac (when facing the screen), she should have no problems. Note-the disc goes in with the label facing the user.

Mac optical drives are very fast, but sometimes they're picky and don't read plain old data CDs very well if the CD has dust, finger prints or scratches. Making sure the disc is pristine will help a lot.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Lab Bunny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2008, 04:55 PM

Ok, well, feel free to spread the story of not noticing the slot loading optical disk drive far and wide as a lesson. That said, the OEM Windows XP Pro disc loaded and installed perfectly. So I'm mortified, but happy. And at least the issue of OEM XP disks has been answered. lol. Thanks for the help.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 11:29 AM

I'm starting to think the average intelligence of Apple customers is declining.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Lab Bunny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2008, 12:22 PM

Frankly, it was purchased because it was slim and didn't come with any extras. I had a great external optical drive and that was all I assumed I'd needed. Thanks to the people who offered help, no matter how obvious.

Big Mac, don't think. It's not good for the team. You sound like the typical PC tech, not an Apple user.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 01:31 PM

Dude, you weren't clued into to the fact that it came with system software discs? I don't mean to poke fun at you, but that's just absurd, "short bus" type stupidity. I imagine you're an otherwise intelligent person, but common! This is the first time we've ever seen a poster who didn't know there was a DVD drive in his (or her) iMac, to give you an indication of the uncommon nature of your error. You kind of had to expect a reply like this. Don't shoot the messenger.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Apr 14, 2008 at 01:44 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Lab Bunny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2008, 02:20 PM

System software discs for use with an external drive. It was a whim purchase--I was planning to get a MacPro--and I'd never looked into an iMac spec-wise, but the price for a dual processor and large screen was amazing. The slot side faces the wall and I'd unpacked it the day before.

That said, no, I didn't expect a such a blatant slam on my intelligence...especially after the problem had been resolved and at least one non boneheaded question answered: do OEM disks work in Bootcamp (a question found in another thread on this website).

This looked like a helpful, clear-spoken site, sans the usual spelling errors and bravado one often finds in online forums. My mistake. I'll go elsewhere in the future when I have a question.

ibook_steve
Apr 14, 2008, 02:51 PM

Settle down now, kids. Lab Bunny just missed the drive. No big deal. It must have been great to discover that there was a drive. Bonus!

The problem was solved and that's what we're here for. And there should never be anybody saying anything about anybody's intelligence. Lab Bunny, I apologize on behalf of the forum.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 15, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Dude, you weren't clued into to the fact that it came with system software discs? I don't mean to poke fun at you, but that's just absurd, "short bus" type stupidity.
...and yet the MacBook Air includes system discs but does not include an optical drive...

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2008, 01:37 AM

Yeah, I think not realizing it had an optical drive is perfectly reasonable. Why not? Reminds me of when I first drove a stick shift in the US - I thought the thing was broken. It would not start. Turned out that you had to hold the clutch in when you turned the key to start it. Well, yes, aren't I? But how would I know? The rest of the world doesn't leave their car in gear constantly, and consequently, you don't need to hold the clutch in to start it. Obvious once you know, but you have to find out somehow.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2008, 02:22 AM

Yeah actually I've had 3 of my old portland customers who switched when the new imacs came out and they did the same thing... called me up and asked what dvd drive to buy ... so I wound up going over to all 3 and showing them.... you could have blown them over with a feather..... blown away. Last guy sat there for a whole hour loading and ejecting discs... lol

I started telling custs about them just to be sure.. and for fun some of them have disctop pro or something like that. Shows a graphic of the dvd drive like you're looking through glass and seeing the internal dvd drive. Kinda cool but pointless.

I agree that Big Mac should have ......... used more humor. It's a funny story.

Welcome to Mac!
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2008, 12:34 PM

I don't mean to poke fun at you, but that's just absurd, "short bus" type stupidity.
I imagine you're an otherwise intelligent person, but common!
But common?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 01:15 PM

That was supposed to be cute. I admit I was being harsh. I wasn't in a great mood that day, apparently, and the notion that someone wouldn't know they had a built in optical drive in an iMac struck me the wrong way. I apologize.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gankdawg View Post
But common?
But come on, common.

gentryfunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2008, 11:33 AM

Do you mind if I just post a big-ol:

WHAT?!

to this original post.....
15" MBP, 2.66Ghz, 4 GB RAM
and....17" iMac C2D
and....Mac Classic II (still running well)
and.....a couple of homebuilt game machines and other ancient stuff like OS/2, BeOS, and Windows 2.0!

Atomic Rooster
Apr 18, 2008, 08:42 PM

Dude, you weren't clued into to the fact that it came with system software discs? I don't mean to poke fun at you, but that's just absurd, "short bus" type stupidity. I imagine you're an otherwise intelligent person, but common! This is the first time we've ever seen a poster who didn't know there was a DVD drive in his (or her) iMac, to give you an indication of the uncommon nature of your error. You kind of had to expect a reply like this. Don't shoot the messenger.
If you don't have anything intelligent to add keep your yap shut.

And your sig sucks pork.

Forum Links
Forum Rules