Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Discrepancy between MBP warranty expiration and my purchase date

Discrepancy between MBP warranty expiration and my purchase date
reRESERVEDFX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2008, 11:30 PM

Hey

I purchased my MBP on 4/14/2008 but when I go on this website and type my SN, it tells me that my warranty will expire on March 29 2009 instead of April 14th. Is that a normal thing? I am just wondering because once I had an issue whether Micro Center sold me used computer as brand new since there were two seals on the box and the computer had minor scuffs in some places.

Thanks a lot for help!!
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz/2GB RAM/GE FORCE 8600M GT/200GB HDD
Apple Cinema Display 23"
New Mac Pro coming this summer....

skacoreimplore
Forum Regular
May 21, 2008, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by reRESERVEDFX View Post
Hey

I purchased my MBP on 4/14/2008 but when I go on this website and type my SN, it tells me that my warranty will expire on March 29 2009 instead of April 14th. Is that a normal thing? I am just wondering because once I had an issue whether Micro Center sold me used computer as brand new since there were two seals on the box and the computer had minor scuffs in some places.

Thanks a lot for help!!
I hate micro center! I bought my MBP about 6 days before the newest MBPs were released so I called to see if they would do an even exchange for the new model. The person i spoke to asked a manager and then agreed they would do the swap with no restocking fee, but I would have to wait for them to be in stock. To make a long story short, they ended up not wanting to do the exchange at all and I am never shopping there again.

Maybe you got hosed too?
Macbook Pro 15" / C2D 2.2 / 2GB / 120GB
16 GB iPod touch

ghporter
Administrator
May 21, 2008, 10:24 AM

Call AppleCare and explain it to them. The current date is based on when the vendor bought it from Apple. They should adjust the warranty date based on the fact that you didn't get the computer until mid-April. Be ready to provide your receipt, but it should not be a problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2008, 07:07 PM

Shave a few days off a warranty and most users won't notice.

Shave 4% off your warranty costs and managers/shareholders will.

reRESERVEDFX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2008, 10:56 PM

So do u guys think the difference is due to Micro Center buying these laptops that date or maybe really someone else have used this laptop before?? I really need to be shure before I will really raise hell.
Apple Cinema Display 23"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 09:58 AM

It's from when they bought it. Unless you bought it brand new and it was obviously opened. FWIW, my iPod touch which I bought at an Apple Store's warranty expires a week before the date of purchase.

cms
Senior User
May 22, 2008, 01:22 PM

Here in the UK, if you buy from the online Apple Store, your warranty kicks in from the ship date. So, if you buy a BTO MacBook Pro that takes 10 days to reach you from Shanghai, you "lose" the corresponding 10 days off your warranty/AppleCare.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2008, 04:44 PM

Keep your receipt.. that's your start date. Do not worry and enjoy your Mac.
regards,

reRESERVEDFX  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2008, 08:06 PM

I just have two more questions if I may...

Is there a way to actually figure out whether someone's been using my computer before (as I still think MC is bunch of a**holes)?

Few days ago my computer started getting artifacts on its screen. First time when I was opening a movie or a picture in Safari browser, the white squares etc would appear and dissapear on the film/photo when it was playing/loading. Then, one time when I opened the lid, a big artifact appeared on the whole screen, so I had to restart the computer. However, after I restart my Mac the problem seems to go away. Do u guys think it's just software or maybe it's the graphic card??
Apple Cinema Display 23"

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by reRESERVEDFX View Post
Is there a way to actually figure out whether someone's been using my computer before (as I still think MC is bunch of a**holes)?

Few days ago my computer started getting artifacts on its screen. First time when I was opening a movie or a picture in Safari browser, the white squares etc would appear and dissapear on the film/photo when it was playing/loading. Then, one time when I opened the lid, a big artifact appeared on the whole screen, so I had to restart the computer. However, after I restart my Mac the problem seems to go away. Do u guys think it's just software or maybe it's the graphic card??
Not really, but even if they did that's independent of your computer being defective.

Forum Links
Forum Rules