Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need new external optical drive

Need new external optical drive
zoluu99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2012, 10:09 AM

I have a late 2009 Mac Mini with 10.6.8 and seem to need a new external optical drive. I was having a little trouble with the original excepting CDs and took it to some Apple certified techs. They tell me Apple is denying my warranty because of smoking. I quit smoking last year but too late for my computer I guess. They want over $300 to put a new drive in but that seems silly. They told me I could get an external drive and that Apple makes one, the Macbook Air drive, but I think it may only work on Macbooks and the newest Mac Minis. I was also told I could just go to Walmart and they would have an external drive that should work just fine. Is this true? I really don't use the optical drive that much and could probably live without it. But I would like the option of occasionally being able to rip and burn CDs. I don't care about burning DVDS. I guess it would need to be some sort of DVD drive though. Can anyone recommend something that would work with my system?

Thanks

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 7, 2012, 03:20 PM

This is probably overkill, but it's cheaper and more feature laden than the Apple model.

Amazon.com: LaCie 301484U 22X d2 DVDRW DL Lightscribe USB2.0 and FireWire US: Electronics

It looks like there are models listed on that page from other companies which are even cheaper. I do however know the LaCie works well with old Macs. A friend of mine has one and it worked with his G4 gooseneck iMac.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2012, 04:20 PM

There is an easy mod you can do in software to make the Apple drive work on other Macs.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2012, 11:06 PM

I saw this Bluray at Fry's
FRYS.com�|�LG
45/47

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2012, 03:30 PM

I have this Blu-Ray, and it works quite well:

Newegg.com - LITE-ON USB 3.0 12X External Blu-ray Disc Writer Model eHBU212-08 LightScribe Support

However, since the OP doesn't even care about burning DVDs, I suspect he/she definitely wouldn't be concerned with burning Blu-Ray. Plain old DVD-RW drives can be found in the $30-$50 range. This one is probably very similar to mine, but without the Blu-Ray support:

Newegg.com - LITE-ON USB 2.0 External 24X DVD Writer Model eHAU424-08 LightScribe Support

Neither of these is portable, of course.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2012, 06:27 AM

I used to have an external FireWire DVD-R drive. I've heard that FireWire is overkill for external optical drives - that at the speed they operate, even USB 2.0 is more than fast enough.

Is that true?

abby
Apr 24, 2012, 01:51 PM

you can buy an external drive for the cd that will suit your system. there are tons of it at amazon and ebay.
also the suggestions above seems nice. i took a look of it and looks promising to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules