Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Macs Oct. 27 - Post your reaction with a gif!

New Macs Oct. 27 - Post your reaction with a gif!
Ham Sandwich
Oct 18, 2016, 05:38 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:19 AM. )

andi*pandi
Oct 18, 2016, 06:04 PM

Ham Sandwich
Oct 19, 2016, 07:14 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:19 AM. )

mindwaves
Oct 19, 2016, 10:34 PM

It is about time. Most of their Mac product line havent been updated in YEARS!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
It is about time. Most of their Mac product line havent been updated in YEARS!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2016, 04:22 PM

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2016, 02:41 AM

Leaked in the new OS update... can't tell thickness but I assume thinner. Probably axing the headphone jack and going all-in with USB-C.

P
Oct 26, 2016, 04:37 AM

It seems clear that they're axing everything BUT the headphone jack, but I guess the headphone jack might go. I guess I will be stocking up on adapters... "yeah, hi, I'd like a 13" MBP, and a DisplayPort adapter, and an Ethernet adapter, and a Firewire adapter, and a USB-A adapter, and... Do you have a dock with all of these, perhaps? No?"
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 26, 2016, 07:20 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:20 AM. )

P
Oct 27, 2016, 02:05 PM

They're not even done, and crucially there is no price, but... want.

Yeah, about that price... the old low-end 13" MBP is gone. The mid-range 13" MBP does not get the touchbar and gets a lower-clocked CPU as well (but with improved graphics and all the other trimmings). The high-end model gets less storage by default.
( Last edited by P; Oct 27, 2016 at 02:29 PM. )
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2016, 02:34 PM

RIP Apple backlit logo. May 1998 to October 2016.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 27, 2016, 06:25 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:21 AM. )

mindwaves
Oct 27, 2016, 09:34 PM

I like.

I have a new iPhone 7. Can I just plug the included cable into the new MBP and all will be good?

Not sold on the new keyboard yet. I didn't like the new MB keyboard. Kind of sad the MBA is going away. I own one myself and love it. All it needs is a trimming on the sides and a better display.

Don't care about edge to edge display. The black bezels are a nice touch to have.

P
Oct 28, 2016, 05:30 AM

The old MBA isn't going away yet, it is still around. There is the 12" Macbook, the 13" MBA at the same price as always, the old 13" MBP at its old price, then the touchbar-less 13" MBP as the middle-of-the-road option, and finally the new full-fat 13" MBP at the top. Comparing at price points, we have:

* at the MBA and low-end MBP price point nothing happened
* at the mid-13" MBP price point, we got a new display, new trackpad and keyboard, slimmer design, new CPU generation but a slower member of the generation (it is down to 15W TDP, and thus 2.0 GHz base clock, even if the turbo nosed up a hair), much more powerful GPU, and two TB3 ports
* at the high-13", we got new screen, trackpad, keyboard and new design, plus the touchbar, a straight CPU upgrade to the new generation (still the 28W TDP), the better GPU, and the only downgrade is the base storage
* For the 15" with integrated graphics, it is gone.
* For the 15" with discrete graphics, it actually got a little cheaper but got smaller base storage. The graphics boost should be significant (we don't know the exact config, but it is likely Polaris 11, aka Radeon RX 460, in some form), the CPU boost smaller but not insignificant, and all the goodies are there.

So it kinda depends on which model you had your heart set on. If you wanted the cheapest possible 15", sorry, it is gone. If you wanted the cheapest possible 13", then again sorry - it is still there, but nothing happened. The high-end models got nice updates, though. Nice enough that I'm actually considering if a 15" makes sense for me.... probably not, though.

P
Oct 28, 2016, 07:41 AM

AMD has announced what the GPUs Apple is selling actually are. The Radeon Pro 460 is actually the full-fat Polaris 11 chip, which has not been seen before (the full chip has 16 CUs, and the top desktop chip based on it, RX 460, has 14 enabled). The 455 has 12 of these CUs enabled, and the 450 has 10. The R9-M370X that the old model had used 10 CUs, so the 450 can be considered a straight update of this chip to a newer generation. Note that Apple skipped no less than two generations here, so even the 450 should be nice boost from the M370X, and the 460 is another 60% faster than that. A quite significant boost. In PC gaming terms, it will likely end up being more or less as fast as the desktop Radeon RX 460 (it has more CUs yes, but likely lower clocks), which puts it around or just below the newly announced Geforce 1050. Drop the resolution to 1440*900 (ie, a quarter of native, or in other words disable Retina) and you should be able to play any recent games at at least medium settings.

For another comparison, the Radeon 460 Pro is probably comparable to the PS4 graphics. They have the same amount of shader hardware and likely similar clocks, and while the PS4 has more memory bandwidth and more ROPs, the newer Radeon is more efficient at making use of its resources.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2016, 10:14 AM

I'm more tempted by a Surface Studio than anything Apple currently make.

Which feels weird.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Ham Sandwich
Oct 28, 2016, 10:46 AM

[...deleted...]

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2016, 11:32 AM

So we have added a touch bar which is a gimmick, a screen upgrade which no-one really needed, even more thinness that no-one asked for and all the ports have been removed so it will need another £100-200 of dongles on top of its already exorbitant new price.

For this kind of money it should be waterproof, have a 5 day battery life and a 4K+ screen on it. And come with a 5 year warranty for when the GPU cooks itself in the skinny enclosure. It should actually have more than that but I can't think of anything else it really needs.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Oct 28, 2016 at 01:24 PM. )
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Oct 28, 2016, 12:51 PM

Of course the touchbar is a gimmick, but I have seen worse - this one makes sense, and anyway you can pick the model without it. I like the better display, my iPad Pro has thought me how much that means.

The GPU is actually lower power than what used to be in there, so no, it won't cook itself.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 28, 2016, 06:31 PM

[...deleted...]

P
Oct 28, 2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Now what Apple COULD have done is make a $2999 MacBook Pro Extreme with 32 GB LDDR4 RAM, 1 TB flash drive, and AMD Polaris 480, and compromise on shorter battery life (like, 5 hours).
So... a 27" iMac, a big UPS and a roll of duct tape?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2016, 07:31 PM

Is anyone else a bit dismayed by dependence on the Thunderbolt ports for charging? I am clumsy enough that MagSafe has saved my machine more than once...

Otherwise, the only angst I've seen in discussions has been about the loss of the Escape key... Which doesn't tick me off, but it does make me wonder why.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2016, 07:38 PM

Some people want a big screen to read pages on or watch movies maybe. They don't necessarily need the rest of it to be top end. But those people have to pay way over the odds.
I'm not averse to the new features but they don't justify the price hikes. Not even close. The retina panels should be getting cheaper. 17" MBPs were cheaper than this when the panels cost 1/3 the price of the machine. These retina 15"s will be under $300 in three months time. Margins on these things must be 65% or so.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Nov 4, 2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Is anyone else a bit dismayed by dependence on the Thunderbolt ports for charging? I am clumsy enough that MagSafe has saved my machine more than once...
Yeah, the loss of MagSafe makes no real-world sense. I've seen that connection save my wife's MBP on multiple occasions. And the charging light was a real nice feature, too.

I predict a definite spike in AppleCare warranty claims that result in having to replace the entire board the Thunderbolt ports are on because someone tripped on a cable while charging and ripped the port right out.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2016, 07:40 PM

Apple sure is in the wringer with new hardware and lack of ports of late.

I actually don't dislike the new MBP, was considering buying one but at this point, I'm pretty certain there'll be a price drop soon.

P
Nov 7, 2016, 05:04 AM

Yup, Apple clearly was caught off guard by the reaction. Now the dongles are a lower price until the end of the year, and the two LG Hyperfine displays are much cheaper as well.

What is telling is that Apple's accessories still aren't very good value for money. I recently got a new 4K display myself - LG, no less - for significantly less than what the current 4K Hyperfine costs.

As for me, I am buying one. I have waited long enough (main Mac died back at the end of April), but then, the model I wanted costs what it always did and included all the upgrades I wanted so I'm happy.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 8, 2016, 06:17 PM

Having glanced at various dongles and Thunderbolt chargers, I have to say that I'm unimpressed. I would like to say that I like minimizing excess and making things simpler, but this doesn't look like that. It looks like making some very simple things complicated.

Now if they were to make a Magsafe connected Thunderbolt dongle, that would be different.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Nov 8, 2016, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Now if they were to make a Magsafe connected Thunderbolt dongle, that would be different.
There are two that I know of already. Not from Apple, true, but one here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eature-is-back

that ships soon, and another here:

https://griffintechnology.com/us/bre...-c-power-cable

that is out but apparently does not support the 15".

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2016, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
https://griffintechnology.com/us/bre...-c-power-cable

that is out but apparently does not support the 15".
Assuming they operate like the old MBPs, the 15" uses an 85W charger but will charge on a 60W charger, just at a slower rate.

mindwaves
Nov 13, 2016, 10:13 PM

That is right. I regularly charge my 15" MBP retina (2012) model with my MBA 13" 2015 charger.

mindwaves
Nov 13, 2016, 10:27 PM

I kind of want a new laptop just because...I "need" a 15" because my eyes are dying and need more screen space for multiple windows. But the new prices are just insane.

It seems all of Apple products are getting more expensive by the year. A new base PowerMac once cost 1,599 (now 2,999). A MBA once cost 1,000 (new MBP 1500). Apple TV is 129 (once 69), apple pencil is an astonishing $99.

Forum Links
Forum Rules