Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Games for Windows LIVE Won't Sign In

Games for Windows LIVE Won't Sign In
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2008, 04:44 PM

Hi,

I know I should probably have posted this in a more tech-related forum, but I figured I'd try a forum I'm already signed up for before signing up for another. You guys haven't let me down so far

I used to use Games for Windows LIVE (GfW LIVE) with no problems, on multiple games.

One day, and I can't pin it to which, it stopped working. I can no longer sign in. I've scoured the Internet and found many people having problems with GfW LIVE but none of them seemed to be having the same problem I was having. It will let me sign in offline still, and I can still gain achievements but they're all offline with no way to compare to friends and use all the other goodies of LIVE. It just says it can't connect. The GfW site says to make sure I have an Internet connection (I do), that I can load pages (I can), that port 3074 is open for GfW LIVE (it is) and I still get nothing. I'm given no error code, just can't connect.

I saw one person in another forum who seemed like they might have had the same problem, and someone responded saying they needed to have UPnP enabled, but I don't know how to enable it to see if this could be the fix I'm looking for.

GfW LIVE is updated with the latest patches, as well as my OS and each of the LIVE games.

Any help is appreciated.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Cold Warrior
Nov 8, 2008, 12:05 PM

Is this run from your computer via a web browser or does it rum from the XBOX?

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2008, 03:54 AM

It runs from my computer. It's the Windows counterpart of Xbox LIVE. Tracks achievements, gamertag info, etc... It only runs when LIVE supported games are running.

Cold Warrior
Nov 9, 2008, 10:38 AM

Since it's on Windows, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the GfW application?

You should also try forwarding port 3074 to your Windows machine. Log in to your router and configure port 3074 forwarding on both tcp/ip and udp to your machine's IP.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2008, 12:53 PM

Yeah.. Tried that.

I'll try your second suggestion. Thanks

EDIT: The most recent GFW LIVE update had no effect.
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Nov 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM. )

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2008, 10:50 PM

About a week ago, I did another Google search taking yet another stab at trying to fix my problem. Shockingly, this and my post on the Epic Games forums were the two top results. Well, I fixed my problem (YAY!) and would like to direct those of you who stumbled upon this thread trying to fix their similar problem to the Games for Windows forums. It is an incredibly helpful forum with a great Moderator and an excellent LIVE team, all willing to help you, as well as a few members rising above and beyond to help as well.

Your welcome.

Cold Warrior
Dec 7, 2008, 09:47 AM

What specific thread there has the answer?

Forum Links
Forum Rules