Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Anyone try the Rebel Sim Card

Anyone try the Rebel Sim Card
Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2011, 01:02 PM

I'm tired of having to deal with jailbreaking and unlocking my iPhone4 and am considering the Rebel Sim Card. It comes with a custom tray and is sandwiched between your sim card and the tray. They claim to support all versions of the baseband and iOS 4 and even say it works with the first iOS 5 beta. It doesn't require jailbreaking or any other weird stuff. Just plug it in and it works. Or so they claim.

Anyone use one of these or know someone that does. It's about 50 bucks and would be worth it if it truly works as advertised.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2011, 03:42 PM

Well you definitely to want to go back to stock firmware and get your baseband updated so that it's un-unlockable. I'm pretty sure the Rebel Sim Card works. You do have to dial an emergency number and then hang up to unlock it, which some people say is illegal. The newer Turbo Sim supposedly reduces the need to do that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Well you definitely to want to go back to stock firmware and get your baseband updated so that it's un-unlockable. I'm pretty sure the Rebel Sim Card works. You do have to dial an emergency number and then hang up to unlock it, which some people say is illegal. The newer Turbo Sim supposedly reduces the need to do that.
Actually they claim you don't have to do any of that. The phone has to be activated but that's it. It's supposed to just work. They also claim there's is the only one that will regain the signal automatically after powering off or switching in and out of airplane mode.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2011, 03:24 AM

If they've made improvements then great, but I can only go by what I've read. My info is a couple of months old, however. But it was fairly clear to me that the older "Rebel Sim" requires the emergency dial procedure every once in a while to reactivate, whereas the newer "Turbo Sim" doesn't need it at all - at least that was the marketing claim.

I definitely think they work. I know a lot of places sell them, and I've never seen a single negative review.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2011, 09:23 AM

Now I'm really confused. Everything I've read is the exact opposite. All of the "how to" sites I've seen on the Gevey Turbo Sim instruct you to dial 112 and hangup.

Gevey Turbo Sim iPhone 4 Unlock Instructions
Gevey Turbo SIM Not Working? Full Instructions & Troubleshooting Guide

Here's a video showing the Rebel SimCard auto-detecting the network and connecting to 2G & 3G after turning the phone on and off and switching in and out of airplane mode.

Rebel SimCard demo

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match ... I'm just trying to make sure I buy the right one.

Edit: My bad. My googling skills suck. I see the recently released Gevey Ultra Sim appears to have the same functionality as the Rebel Sim. Doesn't require dialing 112. The Gevey Ultra is 10 bucks cheaper. Guess I'll give that one a try.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2011, 10:50 AM

Oh, you're right, I was probably screwing up the similar product names. I just knew there was the newer one that required less of the emergency dialing. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused you.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2011, 06:10 PM

My dad uses Turbo SIM with his Samsung Nexus S and it really depends on what network you're on and where you're at. He's had perfect luck in some places, and in other places it doesn't really work at all. The biggest issue is that sometimes you won't get 3G.

Atheist  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2011, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
My dad uses Turbo SIM with his Samsung Nexus S and it really depends on what network you're on and where you're at. He's had perfect luck in some places, and in other places it doesn't really work at all. The biggest issue is that sometimes you won't get 3G.
3G is the least of my worries. I've got a legit AT&T plan in the States so when I'm there I don't need the Turbo SIM. It's just when I'm home in the DR... and all I really care about here is having phone service.

Dave Johnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2011, 11:58 AM

Never tried it but seems interensting

Forum Links
Forum Rules