Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Team Resource Pages

Team Resource Pages
reader50
Administrator
Oct 25, 2003, 04:42 AM

I have reposted our old resource pages in my webspace until krove can add them to the new site.

site root

SETI
RC5
Ubero
Fold
dFold
D2OL
Gene

This is not the complete old site, just the resource pages and the index pages needed to reach them.
( Last edited by reader50; Apr 24, 2004 at 12:02 AM. )

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Dec 25, 2003, 06:14 PM

krove is busy porting the old resource pages to the team site.

In the meantime, we have added a Resources page for developing new resources. The idea is to post links on that page to existing resource pages and to plain-HTML (or even plain text) files of resources in development. We can host the file, or point a link towards some other location. When a resource is done, we can add it to the main site as a regular page.

I plan to post some of our forum tips such as my crontab definition or mikkyo's tips to supercharge Ubero. If anyone has other ideas for pages to host, please post here. Here are a few I've thought of:
  • Platform speed comparions on various projects (SkiBikeSki did this at one time, but we never hosted his pages)
  • Troubleshooting permissions to get a CLI client working.
  • Network proxy configuration to run a CLI behind a firewall.
  • Optimization and Hiding pages for projects other than SETI and RC5.
Any forum tips that have been posted already are candidates for hosting. If you know of a 'good' post somewhere, give us a link to the post - perhaps with corrections or improvements.

Ideas and links welcome.
( Last edited by reader50; Dec 26, 2003 at 03:57 AM. )

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Dec 26, 2003, 11:17 PM

Page link fixed - it pointed somewhere else at first.

I've converted and updated a couple of my own forum how-to posts, they are now linked from the Resource page. Comments/corrections/additions welcome.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Jul 6, 2004, 12:37 AM

At the suggestion of mikkyo, I'm hosting some BOINC client compiles optimized for specific Mac platforms, including 10.2.8. The downloads page is here. That page is a good candidate to be moved to the main team site whenever we update and port the old SETI resource pages.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
At the suggestion of mikkyo, I'm hosting some BOINC client compiles optimized for specific Mac platforms, including 10.2.8. The downloads page is here. That page is a good candidate to be moved to the main team site whenever we update and port the old SETI resource pages.
Excellent!!

mikkyo
Senior User
Jul 8, 2004, 07:21 PM

Ok, the 10.2.8 boinc client works for Predictor, but not Seti.
To work with seti, a recompiled seti worker is needed as well.

I'll try and put together a ready to seti version for 10.2.8 folks.

I would rather 10.2.8 users updated to the much advanced and faster 10.3, and so would they, they just don't know it yet.

Since I have to rebuild the worker, I'll optimize it too.
The setup for the user may not be user friendly, we shall see.

You all realize I don't like Seti, right?

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
I would rather 10.2.8 users updated to the much advanced and faster 10.3, and so would they, they just don't know it yet.
Thanks for being such a team player mikkyo. I agree the move to 10.3.x is worth it. I am sure some will appreciate a working SETI Jaguar version though.

mikkyo
Senior User
Jul 9, 2004, 01:39 AM

The combo Seti happy 10.2.8 client and worker is up and I sent off a G5 10.3 optimized client and Seti worker to reader50 which should be up by tomorrow.

I hope lots of people join Team MacNN since we are the greatest, clearly.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2004, 01:23 PM

For the BOINC clients: We need to pull all of the 3.19 clients, including the Jaguar client. 3.19 is associated with a lot of the work unit errors that have been seen.

As of this next week work units will only be given out to 3.20 core clients. This appears to apply to both Predictor & SETI. Both projects require the upgrade to 3.20 which will also resolve some of the benchmarking and credit discrepencies.

mikkyo
Senior User
Jul 18, 2004, 03:41 PM

I can try tomorrow to make a 10.2.8 version of the 3.20 client, it won't be able to keep up with a 10.3 version in any way though.

mikkyo
Senior User
Jul 20, 2004, 03:05 AM

The 3.20 10.2.8 client is up.
Team MacNN Boinc Clients

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Jul 22, 2004, 03:02 AM

Our BOINC page has been updated again. Mikkyo has been busy.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Sep 19, 2004, 01:54 AM

The links in our old Resource pages no longer try to take you to nonexistent earthlink pages.

javalizard's AltiVec BOINC clients have been added to our BOINC Downloads page.

mikkyo
Senior User
Apr 6, 2005, 05:26 PM

Boinc 4.27 beta clients are up on the Beta Client Page

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 17, 2005, 11:37 PM

Looks like the optimized SETI app by Javalizard is no longer available. The link is dead and has been for a while now. I think Javalizard is actively working with the SETI development team to eventually produce "official" optimized SETI apps.

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 28, 2005, 12:32 PM

Boinc Menubar and Manager apps with the optimized Boinc 4.44 client pre-installed are up on the team resources page.
http://members.dslextreme.com/~reade...eam/boinc.html

This makes it easier for folks not experienced with moving files into the application bundle.

mikkyo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2005, 01:29 AM

Since people were having issues stuffing the boinc 4.44 superbench client into the GUI apps, pre-installed versions are now available on the Team client page.
This config is not recommended unless you have a very fast machine and lots of RAM and are only attached to one project.
If you use this client and attach to several projects on a slow machine, you will eventually have more work than you can complete, and the client will be over-commited and go into No Work Fetch Allowed mode.
This state will probably confuse most people.

http://members.dslextreme.com/~reade...eam/boinc.html

mikkyo
Senior User
Nov 28, 2005, 05:20 PM

On the beta clients page, you can find superbench 5.2.8 for 10.4 only clui clients.

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 2, 2005, 12:42 AM

The 5.2.13 superbench 10.4.x clients are up now, same link as above.

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 05:49 PM

And now possible GUI compatible versions are up.
Beta Clients Page

mikkyo
Senior User
Dec 11, 2005, 03:26 PM

And now prestuffed superbench gui into Boinc Manager and Menubar clients are up on the Beta page.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
Apr 12, 2006, 01:58 AM

TiloProbst volunteered to write a BOINC install guide awhile ago. It turned into a sort of SETI-BOINC "everything" guide.

It is linked from our Resources Page, and here is the direct link to the BOINC Guide.

Suggestions, modifications, corrections, additions welcome. Most of the guide was written before Wisdom files hit the scene, so that info is missing. Feel free to post comments on this (or any other of the posted Resources) in this thread. TiloProbst expects to revise the guide further as needed.

A big thanks to TiloProbst for taking the time to write such a complete guide.

reader50  (op)
Administrator
May 16, 2006, 02:01 AM

Courtesy of mikkyo, we now have 5.4.9 BOINC compiles in Universal Binaries. Go get them.

beta clients page

Unregistered999444
May 24, 2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by reader50
Courtesy of mikkyo, we now have 5.4.9 BOINC compiles in Universal Binaries. Go get them.

beta clients page
Is this the same as the client(s) at Seti@home webpage?

reader50  (op)
Administrator
May 25, 2006, 12:10 PM

They are functionally the same, but have been recompiled with optimization options, such as altivec. This will in theory let BOINC run a bit faster.

In practice, the level of optimization of the worker swamps out the optimization level of the BOINC client.

Knightrider
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2006, 04:29 AM

A Quick Guide too get you up and running with BOINC on a Mac.

Not all BOINC projects support the Mac OS. The following is a list of those that do:-

Biology and Medicine

SIMAP SIMAP - Similarity Matrix of Proteins
world community grid (WCG) World Community Grid - Home
Rosseta at home Rosetta@home
predictor at home Predictor@Home

Astronomy/Physics/Chemistry

SETI at home SETI@home
Einstein at home[/URL] Einstein@Home

Earth Sciences

Climateprediction.net Beta

Climateprediction.net Beta is only available for Mac-Intel

Mathematics and strategy games

SZTAKI Desktop Grid SZTAKI Desktop Grid

Choose your project and have a password and user name ready to use, together with a valid e-mail address (This is not shown on the website).

Before you download, I recommend that you go to the web site of your chosen project and create an account.

An account can be created directly from the BOINC program, but you will have to visit the project and log into your account in order to set up the options for your project preferences.

All you have to do, is to select what you want from the available options.

When setting the 'Disk and memory usage' options do not set them to high or to low.

Set the 'Connect to network about every' to 2 days to start with. This will give you plenty of work.

One other tip, if you are concerned that BOINC will use to much of your processor, or you are using your computer for other work, set the 'Do work while computer is in use?' setting to 'No'. BOINC will stop when you move the mouse and resume if the computer is idle for one minute. This can then be controlled from the 'Activity' tab in BOINC.

You can adjust the Preference settings at any time.

Later on these preference settings will probably be available from within the BOINC program.

Go to BOINC and click on the DOWNLOAD link.
The correct software for your type of machine should be offered for download. Download it to your desktop. Open the desktop folder and run the install package.

When you have installed BOINC for the first time you will have a window come up which allows you too join a project. Enter the URL of the project you have chosen. BOINC will connect to the project,

Next there will be a window with an option to A/ create a new account with that project and B/ use an existing account. If this is a new account for you, choose that option and enter your chosen password, user name and e-mail address. Use the other option if you already have an account.

BOINC will connect to the project and run itself.

Read this thread for more detailed information and other resources.

Advanced mac workers are only available for SETI and can be downloaded from HERE

K.

( Last edited by Knightrider; Dec 30, 2006 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Info update)

Forum Links
Forum Rules