Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Snow Leopard: Post-Installation Issues Thread

Snow Leopard: Post-Installation Issues Thread (Page 2)
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2009, 04:33 PM

aargh...my kensington slimblade trackball mouse keeps disconnecting (after sleep, anyway), and so far, i can only get it working by re-pairing the device (in bluetooth prefs).
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 05:05 PM

I submitted the following three issues at the following OS X feedback link today:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

1. Quite often, I have used "Open PDF in Preview" to preview copies of websites, and other documents, before saving them to my hard drive as PDFs as resources to be reviewed later. I've always used Acrobat Reader to open PDFs by default and, in 10.5, "Open PDF in Preview" in the Print window has always opened PDFs in Preview.

But, after I upgraded to 10.6, I found that when "Open PDF in Preview" is used, the PDFs now open with my default application which is Acrobat Reader. Although the command is named "Open PDF in Preview," it should now be named "Open as PDF (with default application)."

I don't know if this change is intentional or if this change is some sort of coding error that now uses the default application when the "Open PDF in Preview" command is selected in 10.6. I thought that I'd post my observation for those who may be interested.

2. I usually view QuickTime videos in full screen. In 10.5, I am used to being able to switching from full screen QuickTime videos to other applications, like Safari or Mail. But now, in 10.6, when I switch to another application and return to what was a full screen QuickTime video, the video is no longer full screen.

It would be great if QuickTime X videos would maintain full screen mode when switch from application to application like QuickTime 7 has done.

3. In 10.5, I am used to using keyboard shortcuts for the "Show All Bookmarks" and "Show All History." Now, in 10.6, when I'm on a webpage, and I use "Show All Bookmarks," if I was previously using "Show All History," "Show All Bookmarks" will take me to history. In 10.5, while seeing History, I could then use my keyboard shortcut to "Hide All History," but that no longer works in 10.6.

In 10.6, if I use my keyboard shortcut for "Show All Bookmarks," and the use the same keyboard shortcut to "Hide All Bookmarks," it works.

Please restore the functionality to go from "Show All Bookmarks" to "Hide All Bookmarks" and from "Show All History" to "Hide All History" when using the corresponding keyboard shortcuts.

FastAMX79
Aug 30, 2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by FastAMX79 View Post
So far (for me) my Apple Bluetooth Keyboard shortcuts are no longer working.... the volume keys no longer control the volume but now do dashboard, expose, and a few other thing in fact none of the icons on my Function keys no longer do what is printed on them.... I guess i'll have to reprogram them when I become unlazy

My MS Bluetooth Mouse 5000... the scroll wheel no longer works. Scrolling up and down doesn't move pages.

Other than that just a few odds and ends arn't working but I am sure updates will be out soon enough..
To quote myself (if anyone else has an issue) I fixed the problems. I noticed that my bluetooth icon in my menu bar was showing "Not Available" in it. I remembered having an issue like that in the past so I went to /Library/Preferences and deleted the com.apple.bluetooth.plist and did a restart. Everything works again
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM

tonewheel  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 30, 2009, 09:06 PM

Safari was trouble-free prior to SL upgrade on my MacBook Pro. Runs fine on my Mac Pro.

Are there any settings I can check or tweak? Is anyone else experiencing this page loading slowness in Safari?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2009, 10:05 PM

yeah, am having lots of bluetooth issues. i also deleted HD>Library>Preferences apple.bluetooth.plist.
have paired my kensington bluetooth mouse 4 times in 3 days, and cannot seem to re-pair my motorola phone (it's stuck on pairing AFTER entering the passkey)...

ah, well, everything else seems fine...

edit: nevertheless, my phone paired. so it's just the mouse i keep losing...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2009, 02:13 PM

Installed 10.6 yesterday without problems. Everything is working fine, except for the fact that I can no longer drag n drop a picture directly from Safari to Photoshop's icon in the Dock to open it, like it does when the program doesn't support the file type being dragged to it.

[edit] Another problem I just found is that when I select a bunch of pictures in the Finder, when I double-click them, only one picture opens!
( Last edited by FireWire; Aug 31, 2009 at 02:30 PM. )

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2009, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Installed 10.6 yesterday without problems. Everything is working fine, except for the fact that I can no longer drag n drop a picture directly from Safari to Photoshop's icon in the Dock to open it, like it does when the program doesn't support the file type being dragged to it.

[edit] Another problem I just found is that when I select a bunch of pictures in the Finder, when I double-click them, only one picture opens!
Try selecting multiple pictures and, then, press Command-O.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post
Try selecting multiple pictures and, then, press Command-O.
Thank you, it worked! Now the double-clicking method works too, that's strange!

[Edit] Cancel that, the problem returned... And got stranger.. I tried opening about 10 JPG files and Preview opened 2 of them as intended, one in its own window, and the rest remained closed.. WTF Apple, how can you bork something as simple as opening files?
( Last edited by FireWire; Aug 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM. )

swordsmanX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2009, 04:59 PM

10.6 problems

Word & Excel. When first trying to open Word and Excel files by double-clicking, they opened in Pages and Numbers instead. After dragging the Word and Excel files to the icons in the dock, they seem to understand they should open in the proper applications.

Pdfs in Safari. Pdf links open, but the window is dark. I changed Safari to “open in 32-bit” in Info. The link opened but when I tried to scroll, it crashed. It works ok in FireFox

QuickTime Player (both versions). I had created some animations in Strata 3D CX5 and saved them as QuickTime movies. The models (and the QT movies) before the 10.6 upgrade had a white background. Now the background in the QT movies is black.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2009, 06:21 PM

Some Dashboard widgets stopped working for me. Dashboard itself was also taking up over 95% of my CPU in Activity Monitor as well. Solved the problem by deleting all Dashboard-related preferences and rebooting.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel View Post
Safari was trouble-free prior to SL upgrade on my MacBook Pro. Runs fine on my Mac Pro.

Are there any settings I can check or tweak? Is anyone else experiencing this page loading slowness in Safari?
I'm having issues with web browsing as well. I've tried switching my DNS back and forth between OpenDNS and default without any problems. :/

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

dzp111
Senior User
Aug 31, 2009, 08:10 PM

Word 08 painfully slow to start up.

Quicktime movies slower to open up than previous version. (I like some of its new features though)

Other than that, it's all good.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2009, 09:29 PM

small stuff, but would be nice to have an option in finder view to LOCK the icons on the desktop; i keep resizing them with the trackpad, especially switching to the desktop from an app...

tonewheel  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
Word 08 painfully slow to start up.

Quicktime movies slower to open up than previous version. (I like some of its new features though)

Other than that, it's all good.
No issues with Word 08. Opens just as fast as ever.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2009, 04:04 PM

Does Safari hang for ages as if you're running 32MB of RAM, or is it just me? After a minute or so it's back to its quick self.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2009, 04:15 PM

My Safari has been hanging at startup for 15-20 seconds for months now, it started in 10.5.x and hasn't changed in 10.6.

I might have to scrap all my preferences and see if that helps.

-t

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
My Safari has been hanging at startup for 15-20 seconds for months now, it started in 10.5.x and hasn't changed in 10.6.

I might have to scrap all my preferences and see if that helps.

-t
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2009, 09:17 PM

Bug in Apple Mail:

Smart Mailboxes that look for messages in the Junk folder will find nothing.

-t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2009, 09:47 PM

Snow Leopard didn't fix my issue with Software Update taking forever to check for updates. Odd.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2009, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Snow Leopard didn't fix my issue with Software Update taking forever to check for updates. Odd.
Yeah, same here. I never understood why it would take so long.

-t

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2009, 10:58 PM

Only happens on my work Mac Pro too. All others around here and my home iMac are normal.

dougontheytne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2009, 08:37 AM

Unable to open DMX 2004 since loading Snow Leopard

Files open as web pages which cannot be edited.

Tried looking for an update without success and Apple UK not much help.

Anyone any ideas.

DMX 2004 worked fine on Leopard

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2009, 01:59 PM

Director MX 2004 is incompatible with Snow Leopard.

Mac OS X v10.6: About incompatible software
Vandelay Industries

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2009, 03:40 PM

Since installing Snow Leopard on my 15 inch MacBook Pro last week my battery life has plunged from 4+ hours to about 2,5 hours. The battery capacity is still fine and I have no rogue processes running. I tried recalibrating the battery but no luck.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2009, 04:15 PM

Problems trying to open multiple files, too.

I tried dragging a bunch of pics to the Photoshop icon in the Dock, and only the first one (alphabetically) opened. Later, it worked fine.

Same thing with other methods every now and then, too.

Inspector2211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2009, 06:50 PM

Lots of issues here on a Mac Pro 2GHz dual Xeon with 4GB of RAM. So much so I reverted back to OS X 10.5.8.

•Saving a file in Photoshop CS4, it crashes CS4.

•Changing a desktop picture, it crashes Desktop Pictures.

•I tried playing an MPEG in Quicktime X, Quicktime Player crashes.

•I installed Rosetta, and Microsoft Office 2004 won't even open as it's stuck on the beach ball of death.

•Boot Camp 3.0 drivers disable sleep on Windows XP Home SP3.

Just seeing that stuff was enough to remove Snow Leopard and it's software off my Mac. Now everything works again with 10.5.8 and I can get back to work. Oh and I also reverted back to Boot Camp 2.1 drivers…my XP's sleep is back.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2009, 08:01 PM

^^^ Sounds like a borked install.

-t

Toyin
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
Does Safari hang for ages as if you're running 32MB of RAM, or is it just me? After a minute or so it's back to its quick self.
No 13" MBP and Safari definitely seems slower in SL. Everything else seems better.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 08:26 PM

I can't change all my .mov files to open in QuickTime Player 7, no matter how many times I try they still default to QuickTime Player Launcher

Seriously, I need this for work.

Inspector2211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
^^^ Sounds like a borked install.

-t
More like a borked OS. The same symptoms existed even after a second clean install.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Inspector2211 View Post
More like a borked OS. The same symptoms existed even after a second clean install.
Seeing as you are the only one here with those symptoms it would be fair to say that the OS is not borked.

Inspector2211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2009, 08:39 PM

Seeing as you are the only one here with those symptoms it would be fair to say that the OS is not borked.
You should read the huge amount of posts about crashing on all sorts of apps elsewhere on the internet. It really is silly how a lot of the fanboys are saying how great this OS is, when in reality it's a piece of garbage that was rushed out the door. I don't bloat my computer, I always update software, and I always update firmware. I've been using Macs for over 20 years…probably before some of you were even born. The bottom line is that snow Leopard still didn't work either as upgrade or clean install here. The previous OS ran without a hitch, so back to what works. I hope this get ironed out with a few updates.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 08:45 PM

Trotting out the fanboy excuse when people are trying to help you is getting rather old. If you have been paying attention to the discussion you'd see that I have posted plenty of problems of my own. We understand that you are angry, but after 20 years of using Macs you ought to have learnt about x.0 releases. Your particular symptoms seem very isolated (I live and breathe CS4 so I would have noticed by now), so it is pertinent to believe that you have a borked install or faulty hardware.

Now go and take a nice little chill pill and wait for a more stable release (for you).

Inspector2211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2009, 09:02 PM

Trotting out the fanboy excuse when people are trying to help you is getting rather old. If you have been paying attention to the discussion you'd see that I have posted plenty of problems of my own. We understand that you are angry, but after 20 years of using Macs you ought to have learnt about x.0 releases. Your particular symptoms seem very isolated (I live and breathe CS4 so I would have noticed by now), so it is pertinent to believe that you have a borked install or faulty hardware.

Now go and take a nice little chill pill and wait for a more stable release (for you).
That's a lot of help. K THX BAI.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 09:06 PM

You're welcome.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 2, 2009, 09:56 PM

Lots of issues here on a Mac Pro 2GHz dual Xeon with 4GB of RAM. So much so I reverted back to OS X 10.5.8.

•Saving a file in Photoshop CS4, it crashes CS4.

•Changing a desktop picture, it crashes Desktop Pictures.

•I tried playing an MPEG in Quicktime X, Quicktime Player crashes.

•I installed Rosetta, and Microsoft Office 2004 won't even open as it's stuck on the beach ball of death.

•Boot Camp 3.0 drivers disable sleep on Windows XP Home SP3.

Just seeing that stuff was enough to remove Snow Leopard and it's software off my Mac. Now everything works again with 10.5.8 and I can get back to work. Oh and I also reverted back to Boot Camp 2.1 drivers…my XP's sleep is back.
How about posting some of the crash logs from the apps that crash? This sounds suspiciously like the work of a bad APE/SIMBL/mach_inject hack.

Also, did you try creating a fresh user and logging in as that?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

dzp111
Senior User
Sep 2, 2009, 10:37 PM

So much for Chess (Mac). "Not compatible with this OS X version".

?

Weird.
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by dzp111 View Post
So much for Chess (Mac). "Not compatible with this OS X version".

?

Weird.
No problems here.

-t

dzp111
Senior User
Sep 2, 2009, 10:50 PM

My bad. though it wouldn't open on an alias icon.

Inspector2211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2009, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
How about posting some of the crash logs from the apps that crash? This sounds suspiciously like the work of a bad APE/SIMBL/mach_inject hack.

Also, did you try creating a fresh user and logging in as that?
I'm sorry but I'm no longer on Snow Leopard having reverted back to Leopard. I did not save any of the crash logs.

I will try your suggestion though…when there's an update or two to the OS. Being back on the old system, and having everything work again has cured my rage.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2009, 02:34 AM

Which indicates it could also be your install DVD. Your set of problems sounds very unusual. I'd say it's safe to assume rather than a generally buggy OS (which we'd all be experiencing) in your case there's more to it.

Have you tried installing from another DVD? Have you tried setting up a fresh user account and logging in to that? Or what about RAM issues? Have you tried running AHT to verify that your RAM's ok? We have seen situations where RAM issues (that presumably already existed before without going noticed) only became apparent after a system update.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2009, 07:15 AM

Machine - Early 2009 Unibody Macbook.

Problem - 'Locum' process going berserk.

- Move files to trash, about 200MB+ will do it.

- Launch Terminal and run TOP

- Secure empty trash

=

'Locum' process appears as normal, but then takes up to 190% CPU usage!

10 minutes later, trash still not emptied

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2009, 07:43 AM

Locum is the empty trash process. It may have something to do with your secure empty request, but you shouldn't be seeing it at random times.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2009, 09:48 AM

Bug: The 'fur' option for Chess pieces shows regular Leopard fur, not Snow Leopard.

Inspector2211
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Which indicates it could also be your install DVD. Your set of problems sounds very unusual. I'd say it's safe to assume rather than a generally buggy OS (which we'd all be experiencing) in your case there's more to it.

Have you tried installing from another DVD? Have you tried setting up a fresh user account and logging in to that? Or what about RAM issues? Have you tried running AHT to verify that your RAM's ok? We have seen situations where RAM issues (that presumably already existed before without going noticed) only became apparent after a system update.
Both AHT and Tech Tool Deluxe say the hardware is fine. It was a hoot to run my AHT though, I felt like it was being back on OS 9.

Disk Utility says that the Snow Leopard DVD's disc structure is fine.

Adobe is acknowledging the crashing issues on CS4 saves:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/09...ith_ps_sl.html

I'll come back to Snow Leopard when I am ready for a larger hard drive. Then do a really CLEAN install when some updates to both the OS and apps are available.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2009, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
Bug: The 'fur' option for Chess pieces shows regular Leopard fur, not Snow Leopard.
That's it. I'm done.

I'm never gonna buy from Apple again.

-t

dzp111
Senior User
Sep 3, 2009, 05:07 PM

For those interested, iStat Menus is up and working with SL.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2009, 05:19 PM

^^^ Thanks

-t

posthumanus
Senior User
Sep 3, 2009, 07:27 PM

after trashing 2 iCal (.icbu) backups the only option is to ‘secure empty trash’: this now comes up as 9000 items and takes forever to purge.

someone mentioned a:

FIX - the empty trash default changed to "secure empty trash" - turned this off.

but i've no idea how to do this. can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanx

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2009, 07:33 PM

Here is a document on problems with Photoshop (CS3 and CS4).

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/512/cpsid_51229.html

Forum Links
Forum Rules