Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > BMW Film conversion?

BMW Film conversion?
hickey
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 09:43 PM

Can anyone confirm if quicktime pro will let me convert downloaded BMW films into ipod compatible versions? When I try and do it through iTunes, it tells me it "could not be converted because this file does not allow sharing or conversion." Or are there any other ways to format it for the pod?

As I typed the quote from itunes, Im pretty sure I answered my own question, Pro prolly wont let me convert it either. oh well.

crooner
Senior User
Jan 17, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
Can anyone confirm if quicktime pro will let me convert downloaded BMW films into ipod compatible versions? When I try and do it through iTunes, it tells me it "could not be converted because this file does not allow sharing or conversion." Or are there any other ways to format it for the pod?

As I typed the quote from itunes, Im pretty sure I answered my own question, Pro prolly wont let me convert it either. oh well.

Hmm... I didn't know what a BMW file type was but a fast Google showed it to be a "Buzz Music File with Waves."

Here's something to try... see if VLC player can read the file. If it can, use its Streaming/Exporting Wizard and experiment with its options to try and translate the file into something QuickTime compatible. I’ve had incredibly good luck using this method to get otherwise "un-playable" or cranky flies to play nice.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2006, 11:39 PM

BMW films probably refers to http://www.bmwfilms.com/, not a BMW filetype.
I'm not sure why you can't convert them. Try a third party app like Handbrake?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2006, 12:33 AM

Please note that The Hire Films series is no longer available for download or purchase.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2006, 11:44 AM

BMW Films was apparently the only source for these films on DVD. I'm glad a friend decided that I needed to see them.

Go with what Crooner says; VLC should be able to help you out.

I really like "Beat the Devil." Great stuff!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

StudioSP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2006, 09:08 PM

Try iSquint www.isquint.com It's pretty much idiot proof.

Handbrake is better for DVD ripping and a little more complex program.
-StudioSP-
Graphic & Multimedia Design
PowerBook 15" (aluminum)
iPod Video 60GB (black)

hickey  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 04:32 AM

yeah handbrake didnt do it for me, and after VLC would do its little conversion wizard thing, quicktime would say it was a bad file. but theres still a few configs i can try in VLC, I'll also try isquint tomorrow.

And I wish I got them on DVD, instead I downloaded them for free about a year ago.

StudioSP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 02:24 PM

Might I add BWM Films are absolutely amazing....

If you have not seen them, I suggest doing so. They are a series of short films BMW came out with (as if one could not figure out that by the name) as promotions for their car. They have actual plots, and great story lines, amazing quality all around.
http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/films.htm

If anyone knows where you can still download these I'd like to know. Limewire didn't come up with much and the site says you can't get them directly anymore.

Yeah, for something like that I think you're better off with iSquint. All you do is drag into a box and click "optimize for iPod" and you're done. There's a ton of settings w/ Handbrake to mess with.
( Last edited by StudioSP; Jan 22, 2006 at 02:38 PM. )
-StudioSP-
PowerBook 15" (aluminum)
iPod Video 60GB (black)

StudioSP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2006, 03:53 PM

Update:
I was able to download a couple off: http://www.ausgamers.com/files/browsegame/html/12/148

I've used iSquint and they are successfully working on my iPod.
-StudioSP-
PowerBook 15" (aluminum)
iPod Video 60GB (black)

hickey  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 04:03 PM

cool, isquint is comverting some Gilmore Girls episodes now, but the BMW films are next in line. Thanks all

Forum Links
Forum Rules