Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > stuttering video, then no sound

stuttering video, then no sound
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2006, 05:58 PM

Hi All,

I've got a few video files that, on my 60Gb iPod, will suddenly freeze, and then when they resume, there is no sound. If I fast forward or rewind a little bit, I get sound back, but then it goes again after a minute or so.

Any idea what can cause this? They are 320x240 mpegs, data rate for one shows in QT Player as just a bit under 700Kbit/sec, another as just a bit over.

Thanks for any help,

Chas

crooner
Senior User
Feb 11, 2006, 08:03 PM

Chas,
what version of the iPod firmware do you have? If it is 1.1, this is a possible symptom that others have reported. The recommended solution (for now) is to use the 1.0 firmware updater to reset your iPod (you'll have to re-load all the content) and wait until Apple releases a fix in 1.2.

If you do have 1.0 installed, have you tried rebooting your iPod? Hold down the center button and the Menu button together for a few seconds until the screen goes black and you see the Apple logo. This may help.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2006, 08:24 PM

Hi crooner, thanks for replying.

I've just let my iPod update, so I'm at 1.1. Glad to hear it's not something _I've_ done wrong, and I'm willing to wait until a fix (hmm, so how long does it take Apple to release iPod firmware updates?)

Thanks!

Chas

wferris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2006, 11:52 PM

had the same problem with my 60GB iPod as well after the iPod update. Was all ready to downgrade when I noticed that the one video that didn't stutter was one I had done on my computer after the upgrade. So to test an idea I redid some of the trouble video's, reimported them back into iTunes and then back into my iPod and they worked!

Forum Links
Forum Rules