Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Migrate to new MBP or reinstall everything?

Migrate to new MBP or reinstall everything?
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2007, 11:58 PM

I am just curious if I migrate everything over to my new MBP, do I get all the old plists and crap files that are leftover when you install and then remove software? Or does it just transfer over files relevant to apps being transferred over? Really don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling everyything, but want me new machine clean

Also, my refurb was shipped to me with a small bubbling or warping right above the latch that releases the lid or screen of the computer, but after reading about all the MBPs, it seems this is a fairly common issue regardless if people purchased new or refurb macs...so, should I keep it or return it?
( Last edited by ero2; Jan 27, 2007 at 12:13 AM. )

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ero2 View Post
Also, my refurb was shipped to me with a small bubbling or warping right above the latch that releases the lid or screen of the computer, but after reading about all the MBPs, it seems this is a fairly common issue regardless if people purchased new or refurb macs...so, should I keep it or return it?
It's only a common issue on boards like this where people post about problems. IMO, you shouldn't keep a MBP that came with cosmetic damage. My rev A MBP doesn't have any warping nor does my roommates C2D.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2007, 08:29 PM

I too was worried about migration because it would bring over a lot of junk I was just as happy to leave behind. My solution was to target disk mode connect my old PB to the new MBP and bring over the applications, contents of the user folder. It took about 10 minutes to setup and and hour to actually copy and I am very happy with the outcome. I also exported my keychain and the contents of a few other apps, setting and things I did want carried over.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Forum Links
Forum Rules