Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Futurama: Bender's Game

Futurama: Bender's Game
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 11:32 AM

I managed to watch this last night. It's hard to compare the DVDs when you watch them so far apart, but I thought this might have been the most consistent, if not the strongest of the offerings so far. Didn't much care for the Igner twist (let alone the false drama of its predictability), but I enjoyed the Return of the King parody. And the Morks killed me (mostly because Maurice LaMarche does a good Robin WIlliams impression).

Anyone else want to chip in?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:15 PM

I liked the futurama parts, but hated the pastorama parts. Maybe it's just because I'm set in my ways.

I've always found the show hit-and-miss, and I am aware that different people love and hate different parts. Example, I like the time travel eps, but hate things like Godfellas, but I know there are people who are the opposite. Basically, I hate when Bender deviates from his character of being a greedy bastard with feelings only long enough for one-liners ("the sparks keep me warm" or "I guess a robot would have to be crazy to want to be a folk singer," those were golden). Sorry to go off topic already... The first part of the movie was fair, the second half was the worst yet, IMO.

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:19 PM

Hah, I don't mind off-topic. Maybe it's the format, but it feels like they've been overplaying Bender's greed and self-centeredness in the past couple titles. I liked the idea of Robots having issues with imagination but the conclusion (The entire new world) was a little weak. (The methods to relax robots slayed me, though)

64stang06
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 12:59 PM

I agree, the third one so far is the better of the 3. I watched them all last weekend and found Bender's Game to be enjoyable without being annoying. Bender's Big Score was decent; but they kind of over did it with the email spam and identity theft scene. I know it was relevant but damn, it didn't need to be 10 minutes long. The beginning was also a little lame, but perhaps that's because I knew who all the characters were BEFORE watching the movie. I also couldn't believe that I knew who Lars was as soon as I saw him; the face and voice weren't that hard to decipher The Beast With a Billion Backs was a little out there and drawn out, but it eventually went to the plot and was enjoyable.

I do hope that the 4th and final movie doesn't mean the end of Futurama.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2008, 04:23 PM

Meh, I prefer the Beast with a Billion Backs still. I think Bender's Game kinda fizzled out near the end.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
If it ends up with Fry and Leela getting together, you know it's the end.

I haven't seen the last two movies - just Bender's Big Score.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2008, 06:49 PM

Of the three I thought that one was the least good. Beast with a billion backs is still my favorite of them, but none have managed to make good use of the feature length format.

I'm still a big fan of Futurama and am looking forward to the next one!!
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Maybe it's the format, but it feels like they've been overplaying Bender's greed and self-centeredness in the past couple titles.
See, it works as long as Bender isn't the main character. The main character has to be multi-dimensional (or at least sympathetic) to keep people watching, and Bender is much better as a side character, because he's not those things.

I liked the idea of Robots having issues with imagination but the conclusion (The entire new world) was a little weak. (The methods to relax robots slayed me, though)
Yeah those were good

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2008, 08:37 PM

I saw it a couple of weeks back and I found it the weakest of the three by far. It's no surprise that none of them have made good use of the feature length format since they still have to write it as "episodes".

Bender's Big Score minus the overhammering of the identity theft / scam plot was much better, as it made good use of where Futurama has been unexpectedly strong: heartfelt drama.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2008, 09:21 PM

Why is Futurama so freakin' preachy nowadays?

Stop trying to teach me a lesson or shame me or educate me about global warming!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 12:05 AM

Matt Groening has always featured lesson-learning content in his cartoons.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
part of why I like his stuff.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2008, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Even Matt and Trey do that.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Dakar V  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
I think it's likely. Even the more fervent Futurama fans haven't been ranting and raving about how great these are. I feel confident Comedy Central's ratings have been garbage, if only because Futurama seems misplaced on the channel. Finally, the two hour format just doesn't play to the shows strengths.

Honestly, the show would be better of with a Direct-to-DVD TV Season, but that's never been done before.
Well, here's to hoping sales were good enough to greenlight a new DVD each year for a few years.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Honestly, the show would be better of with a Direct-to-DVD TV Season, but that's never been done before.
I would buy it sight unseen. Futurama was a great show.
I haven't seen Bender's Game so I will have to find some time to do that and get back to you all. I didn't think the previous movies were so great, but I loved the chance to see new content after watching the same episodes so many times.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules