Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Slumdog Millionaire

Slumdog Millionaire
Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2008, 03:02 PM

Slumdog Millionaire

It's a movie directed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting) about an uneducated Indian kid who is on the verge of winning the grand prize in the Indian version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?". punctuation?

It's not a perfect movie by any means but I'd have to say it's the best movie I've seen all year. It's better than The Dark Knight and better than Wall-E, although it's hard to compare to movies like that obviously since all are in wildly different genres.

The movie won the People's Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival, and it recently won the National Board of Review's Award for Best Film and Best Adapted Screenplay.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 03:10 PM

I read the book it was based on - a very enjoyable read - and I was disappointed to learn how much they cut from the book. It kind of dampened my enthusiasm for seeing the movie.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2008, 03:18 PM

Well, the movie is already two hours long, and seemed packed full of stuff for the entire two hours.

That's what must happen if you want to make a screenplay out of most books... unless you're going to have some 7 hour long epic.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2008, 03:37 PM

The lead actor is pretty good in Skins.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2008, 03:51 PM

Danny Boyle has consistently put out some good stuff, including my favourite "horror" flick, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, the movie is already two hours long, and seemed packed full of stuff for the entire two hours.

That's what must happen if you want to make a screenplay out of most books... unless you're going to have some 7 hour long epic.
I agree - but they seemed to have cut out all the things I liked about the book - including and most especially the ending. We'll end up renting it I'm sure.

And as elaborate as the book was, it was hardly something on the scale of A Delicate Balance. It was a rather fast read and it's because of this that I'm surprised that most of the story was cut out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules