Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This 30% cut on iOS subscriptions dealie...

This 30% cut on iOS subscriptions dealie...
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 07:30 PM

It feels to me like they've gone to far. I know it's early and we still don't really have a full grasp of what it does and does not cover and what possible loopholes there might be, but isn't this just going to kill the Kindle app on the iPad? And several music streaming services? And possibly Netflix and Sirius?

I get that it's Apple's platform and they can charge what they want, but they seem to be doing just fine making and selling a great platform for a wide variety of applications and services. It seems to me like they are squeezing right at the wrong time. They have a lot of competition coming very soon, and I'm sure that if publishers aren't happy with what Apple is offering, Google, HP, RIM and Windows will be more than happy to offer way better deals.

Thoughts? Feelings?

(and can we please keep this here in the Lounge? I know it's sort of an iOS thing, but I really think this is a broader issue and it will die on the iPhone/iOS board)

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2011, 07:34 PM

FYI, Amazon takes 30% off of Kindle book sales anyway as well as a distribution fee.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2011, 07:47 PM

Apple’s Big Subscription Bet: Brilliant, Brazen, Or Batsh*t Crazy?

He might as well be saying: “Everyone take a deep breath — here’s why this makes sense.” And there’s no question that it does make sense — for Apple. But a lot of third-party developers both large and small are going to be very, very pissed off by this move. Why? Because it totally changes the game. Companies with subscription elements of their content had been accustomed to leveraging Apple’s platform for free. Now there will be a fee. And it will be a significant fee.
Gruber's take:

"You’ll seldom go wrong betting on Apple doing something that’s good for Apple and good for its users — no matter what the ramifications for everyone else."

As far as I can tell, publishers don't have free access to the subscribers' data this way, meaning they can't sell it off to other advertisers. That's bee something that's always pissed me off to no end when getting international subscriptions. (in Germany, you have to specifically allow data sharing in cases like that)

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2011, 10:01 PM

But if Netflix, Sirius, Kindle, Rhapsody, Hulu, etc... all leave the platform then is that really good for the end user?

And I know that companies selling your name sounds all shady and terrible, but what is the actual real-world effect? You end up with more junk mail? Who cares?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2011, 01:26 AM

I think this is a little nuts on Apple's part. It's one thing with Apps where they created a platform, invested in the software and the hardware, and did all the leg work. But really does that mean that they deserve a 30% cut of everything that anyone sells to the owner of an iPad? I think that's a little insane. 10% I could see, and I thought a lot of companies would cough up. I think in some ways this might be Apple's way of saying that they don't want anyone else selling things to people through their iPads and iPhones.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
But if Netflix, Sirius, Kindle, Rhapsody, Hulu, etc... all leave the platform then is that really good for the end user?

And I know that companies selling your name sounds all shady and terrible, but what is the actual real-world effect? You end up with more junk mail? Who cares?
You end up with junk mail, and a bunch of people you don't even know about end up with your data profile.

If you don't care, that's fine. In my view, it's not just a nuisance.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2011, 02:57 AM

I'm inclined to think that 30% might indeed be too greedy on Apple's part and push some over the edge. I dunno, I guess we'll see in due time.

-t

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2011, 03:07 AM

I can't understand the "greed" complaint here. Apps developers of games and other stuff pay the 30%, including all in-app purchases. Why should publishers and media companies be "entitled" to pay less than 30%? 30% for everyone is exactly fair.

Plus, if you buy your Kindle content (or whatever) from outside the app, you can still use it from inside the app. It's only content purchased in-app that is subject to any 30% fees.

But should we really expect media and publishers not to whine? They whine about everything.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2011, 03:20 AM

For one, they have to hand off 30% to the platform they're using to access customers.

For another, they're deprived of the additional income of selling your info to dubious advertisers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules