Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This might be stupid or brilliant... but I'm probably getting a 911.

This might be stupid or brilliant... but I'm probably getting a 911. (Page 2)
Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2012, 12:49 PM

Traitor! Since when was the General Lee made out of some euro garbage?

The General Lee was and will always be made from an american Dodge Charger and every self-respecting southern knows that! Heck, I'm Canadian and I know that.

YEEEEEHAAAWWWWW!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2012, 03:56 PM

Euro garbage?

At least our cars can go around corners.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Nov 16, 2012, 05:02 PM

Would a 911 make a jump off a broken railroad bridge, cross over a pond, and land safely on the other side?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2012, 07:39 PM

No and neither can any other car.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2012, 07:47 PM

K.I.T.T. could!

I won't hear any of your nonsense.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2012, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
No and neither can any other car.
How big of a pond are we talking here?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2012, 06:48 AM

Does size really matter? We're talking about cars here not some special build thing. Once you max out the suspension and the frame bends its over.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2012, 11:03 AM

Tell that to Eleanor.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Nov 19, 2012, 08:55 AM

Bitches love targas

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2012, 09:17 AM

I really don't get what's going on. You didn't buy the car, but you're just keeping it for free for the winter? How's that work?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2012, 09:46 AM

Sexual favors to the owner.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I really don't get what's going on. You didn't buy the car, but you're just keeping it for free for the winter? How's that work?
It's like shareware, only with cars.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

katy93
Banned
Nov 24, 2012, 11:48 AM

S
(+)-Cocaine

CAS No.: 47195-07-3
Name: (+)-Cocaine
Formula: C17H21NO4

CAS No.47195-07-3 (+)-Cocaine ketremin

DetailDesc:we are premium best suppliers of drugs we do sell only the best of drugs and of good quality and very high purity our selling rates are very cheap we do have other drugs

e-mail...................... i_am_dumb_spammer @ spammers . com

Address:hansel road 78

Min. Order:1Kilogram USD:5-10 /Gram

reader50
Administrator
Nov 24, 2012, 12:14 PM

Kept for awesomeness. Maybe he was attracted by Ca$h for drugs.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Kept for awesomeness. Maybe he was attracted by Ca$h for drugs.
Well, you know, nothing gives you a sense of security like buying narcotics online. You can relax and be completely confident that what you're buying meets all Bolivian standards for purity and is perfectly safe. No ground glass, Drano, or rat poison here, that's for sure.
- Thomas Paine

NoIdeaWhatIsGoingOn
Baninated
Aug 22, 2013, 01:26 AM

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2013, 02:25 AM

Had to rebuild that transaxle yet?
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2013, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by NoIdeaWhatIsGoingOn View Post
So I take it that in your attempt to buff it to a shine, you overheated and took the lacquer right off?

Looks kinda neat, actually.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2013, 02:33 AM

Has that edgy, distressed look now.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2013, 02:43 AM

Like stone-washed jeans.

Ω
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2013, 03:48 AM

Wouldn't have happened on an SUV
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2013, 06:00 AM

Drove a new Cayman S yesterday and I wonder what Porsche is doing. It's a much better chassis than the Carrera now, only underpowered with a somewhat chintzy interior. Equip it like the 911 and it would crush it like a bug (pun intended).
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2013, 10:01 AM

Wouldn't it make sense to bring that chassis technology to the next-generation 911?

Or are you wondering why they didn't start out on the flagship with this new tech, rather than the low end?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2013, 01:57 PM

There's no real B pillar on the Carrera. Not really new tech. They won't up the power/trim of the Cayman though it's supposed to be the budget 911.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Wouldn't it make sense to bring that chassis technology to the next-generation 911?

Or are you wondering why they didn't start out on the flagship with this new tech, rather than the low end?
They are, slowly, over the last 3 generations of the 911 they've brought the engine forward 12 cms relative to the rear axle. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a big difference in terms of unsprung weight, aka. the amount of weight outside the wheel "box", making the chassis more balanced. Back in the air-cooled era, if you took too many liberties with one you'd end up facing the other way in a ditch, actually that's not too far from the truth all the way up to the 997, under certain conditions.

There's no real B pillar on the Carrera. Not really new tech. They won't up the power/trim of the Cayman though it's supposed to be the budget 911.
The Cayman started life as a mid-engined car, whereas the 911 is rear-engined. Making the 911 a balanced and neutral car takes some engineering witchcraft, whereas the Cayman has been neutral from the get-go. It's interesting to me how much money and time Porsche pours into the 911 to allow it do what it shouldn't be able to do. It's the ultimate case of automotive design obstinance, to be frank about it. They're wicked fun to drive, though, and I guess that's the #1 reason for buying one, and always has been.
- Thomas Paine

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2013, 06:13 PM

<--- owns a boxter, knows were the engine is.

I haven't driven any car in non-street conditions though.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 23, 2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a big difference in terms of unsprung weight, aka. the amount of weight outside the wheel "box", making the chassis more balanced.
Interesting - I've never heard "unsprung weight" defined that way. What's the precedent for that? All of my suspension design textbooks refer to it as the weight not supported by the suspension - wheels, tires, brakes, and part of the suspension components, struts, springs, axles. I've never heard it used to refer to weight forward or rearward of the wheels.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2013, 01:16 PM

Got my terms jumbled, anyhow, excessive weight outside the axles is generally a bad thing.

<--- owns a boxter, knows were the engine is.

I haven't driven any car in non-street conditions though.
My point was, I don't think they did intend it to be a budget 911, but I do agree that it won't surpass the 911's trim level (or power). IMO, they use it as a test bed to try out ideas for the next 911s. A guy at my "home track" has a turbo Cayman, previous gen, w/ ~450hp and it's a stunning car. I've had a Carrera GT for going on 6 months now and they're surprisingly similar in chassis balance and feel. I need to get my hands on a Ruf CTR3 and try it out.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2014, 03:52 PM

Basically looking for an update. Can someone maybe scan Reddit, compile all the time and effort Rob has put into this Porsche, and summarize below?

kthxbye
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 22, 2014, 04:45 AM

From 7 months ago:

Nothing since then, though in his garage thread he says it cost him $3500 and he's put $2000 into it.

That foray was...interesting. Most of his posts are to the GTA V subreddit, complaining about how GTA sucks, talking about how he quits, then 2 days later bragging about how awesome he is. Also, multiple posts trying to get people to race in GTA for real money. Also this post to /r/TheRedPill, the subreddit for misogynistic assholes pretending that they're "alpha" and that they slay women.

Forum Links
Forum Rules