Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery still [edit]

Battery still [edit]
jokell82
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2003, 02:40 PM

Ok, I never experienced the battery problem until last night. I use my iBook to record live audio, and I typically use the entire charge of a battery at a show. Last night it died at around 47%. I had heard of the problem, but I hadn't experience it yet. I tried to update to 10.2.5 this morning to see if that would help. I just charged it up to 100% and then took out the cord. I downloaded the program X-Charge at around 80%. Here's a screen shot of the stats window:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~jkelly8/battery.pdf

I'm going to go to the apple store today, and see if they can swap out my battery. It's still under warranty (a 700 combo). Has Apple been helpful with this at all? Or are they denying its existence like so many other problems?

stew
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:
Ok, I never experienced the battery problem until last night. I use my iBook to record live audio, and I typically use the entire charge of a battery at a show. Last night it died at around 47%. I had heard of the problem, but I hadn't experience it yet. I tried to update to 10.2.5 this morning to see if that would help. I just charged it up to 100% and then took out the cord. I downloaded the program X-Charge at around 80%. Here's a screen shot of the stats window:

I'm going to go to the apple store today, and see if they can swap out my battery. It's still under warranty (a 700 combo). Has Apple been helpful with this at all? Or are they denying its existence like so many other problems?
You might want to try resetting the power manager, maybe that helps already. If you have a second battery available, I'd swap them, that could also make the power management recalculate.

Stink different.

robot prom
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 10:11 PM

my wife's iBook was having the same problem. Resetting the PMU didn't help. Apple swapped the battery without any problems. The local Apple Store didn't have any spares, so Apple had to have one shipped to us. After the battery swap, everything's peachy.

All this was done under Applecare, but if you're still in warranty, you shouldn't have any problems.

Nawoo
Apr 11, 2003, 10:36 PM

Yo Jokell, could i find out what programme you use to record live audio?
thanks

My ibook batt is still giving me inaccurate readings too btw

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 10:37 PM

My battery problem is even worse! I'm now down to rougly 10 minutes to a charge --- at 92% it goes sleepy-sleepy!

I'm headed to the Apple Store in SoHo tomorrow to hopefully get a replacement battery. Where does one go for service, to the Genius Bar?

--Chris

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 10:40 PM

just called apple today to get mine replaced under warranty, they had me do some tests, then called it a dead battery, said they woudl ship one

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 03:36 AM

I went to the Apple Store in Tysons today. Talked to Johnny, an Apple Genius, who was EXTREMELY helpful and extremely nice. Unfortunately they didn't have any more batteries. He made a "case" for me, and as soon as I call Apple they'll ship one out to me. Hopefully that'll fix my problems...

Edit - Just called and they're shipping me a new one, plus a box to send the old one back in. Good stuff...
( Last edited by Gametes; Apr 12, 2003 at 07:40 PM. )

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2003, 11:06 AM

He made a "case" for me, and as soon as I call Apple they'll ship one out to me. Hopefully that'll fix my problems...
Good for you, jokell82. The Geniuses at the Tyson's store have been helpful for me as well, but at a $300 price since my iBook was out of warranty (and unfortunately, I didn't buy AppleCare). Let us know if a new battery magically fixes everything!

I've had the short battery life problem since 10.2.4 as well. It doesn't look like the OS X 10.2.5 update fixed anything. But I'm running my iBook on battery today to get a scientific analysis with X-Charge. It's scary to watch the red graph drop so quickly. I don't want to buy a new battery since I'm hoping to replace my iBook with a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook by late summer/early fall.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2003, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by escher:
Good for you, jokell82. The Geniuses at the Tyson's store have been helpful for me as well, but at a $300 price since my iBook was out of warranty (and unfortunately, I didn't buy AppleCare). Let us know if a new battery magically fixes everything!
Just got back from Apple SoHo. They couldn't have been more efficient in replacing it with a new battery (I was lucky one was in stock). Things are very well so far.

I have a few months before my original warranty expires, and after this I'm definitely going to purchase AppleCare. It's just worth it.

I'll report back with details.

--Chris
iBook 700 (16 VRAM)

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 05:42 PM

Why would the Apple Geniuses charge $300 for help? It's suppose to be free. And a battery is $120.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by x user:
Why would the Apple Geniuses charge $300 for help? It's suppose to be free. And a battery is $120.
According to my receipt, if I wasn't still under warranty, it would have cost $85 for Hardware Repair (Level 1) and $120 for battery. Then, they charge $75 for hardware diagnostics at the Genius bar (see the plaques on the bar).

Luckily, I paid nothing!

--Chris

tr
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by hempcamp:
My battery problem is even worse! I'm now down to rougly 10 minutes to a charge --- at 92% it goes sleepy-sleepy!

I'm headed to the Apple Store in SoHo tomorrow to hopefully get a replacement battery. Where does one go for service, to the Genius Bar?

--Chris
my sister has the same problem with the battery. she charges it to 100%, unplugs, iBook shuts down in like 5 minutes. she did the PMU reset, nothing.

so she sent the battery to me (she's out of the country right now), and i took the battery down to the apple store. told the so called "genius" the problems, he put the battery in an iBook, it booted up, then he told me "Her computer is broken. she needs to send it in for repairs." meanwhile, the computer was still on the 'white apple' logo on the iBook, the iBook he put the battery into never finished booting. "yep, it works fine here" he says, "you're sister's computer is broken"

[rant]

how the hell are people getting GOOD advice from apple store geniuses? the guy i went to was an ASS!!! i think he was pissed off that it was like 15 minutes until closing, and he HAD to help a customer like me! i mean, i told him what was wrong, and i didn't even tell him about the PMU reset yet, and he said "yep, the computer's broken". it was such a disappointment, i brought it there because i thought he could give me some insight on the problem.

[/rant]

so all you guys are saying that it's the battery, and not the computer? i'll believe you guys over that "genius" at the store.

tr

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 12:27 AM

I think the computers are screwing the batteries up myself. I know my brand-new 800mhz one just started. Glad I got the damn warrenty.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 10:50 AM

Yeah, I have a feeling that it's a problem with the computer reporting the battery charge incorrectly. Like maybe it only lets it charge to 50%, but it reports it all the way to 100%... I'm really just guessing, though, cuz I actually have no idea...

But I do think you have to talk to the right people at the Genius Bar. I've talked to some real jerks, but I've also talked to some of the nicest and most helpful mac users ever. Now I know who not to talk to at my local store...

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by hempcamp:
According to my receipt, if I wasn't still under warranty, it would have cost $85 for Hardware Repair (Level 1) and $120 for battery. Then, they charge $75 for hardware diagnostics at the Genius bar (see the plaques on the bar).

Luckily, I paid nothing!

--Chris
Geeze man, I took my old 500mhz OVERCLOCKED and CASE MODDED (In other words, definitly out of warrenty) over to them and got all kinds of free help. Your geniuses must just suck. That was supposed to be one of the big deals about the Apple Store, free help with problems.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by x user:
x user: The help cost $300 because they helped me with a broken backlight cable, which required service in Texas, not with the battery problem. $300 is the flat price for iBook hardware repairs, regardless of what your problem is. They replaced my broken CD-ROM drive and an allegedly defective power socket at the same time, so I'm less mad that I had to pay $300 for fixing the backlight, which is a design flaw (the backlight cable gets pinched in the hinge; it's happened on all white iBook revisions, including the latest ones).

Escher

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 06:45 PM

Ok, if anyone still cares, I got my battery in. I calibrated it yesterday, and I'm going to use it as long as I can on the battery today (with XCharge running). Hopefully it'll work fine...

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2003, 07:55 PM

Ok, if anyone still cares, I got my battery in. I calibrated it yesterday, and I'm going to use it as long as I can on the battery today (with XCharge running). Hopefully it'll work fine...
Let us know your test results, jokell82.

Escher

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 08:46 PM

Well the battery is down to 43%, which is MUCH further than it got before. Knock on wood, but it looks like the new battery did the trick...

BTW, I unplugged at 6:45 and it's now 8:45, I've been running everything full (display at brightest setting possible, processor at maximum speed). So it's been 2 hours, and the bar up top says I should have another 1:45 or so... Not too shabby.

Edit: Well, it's 10:30 and the battery meter is showing 0%, but it's still working fine... Wonder when this thing's gonna go to sleep.
( Last edited by jokell82; Apr 21, 2003 at 10:25 PM. )

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2003, 10:59 PM

Alright, last update, I promise.

My iBook went to sleep (with no warning) at 10:45, so a good 4 hours at full usage. I'm charging it back now, but it looks like the problem is completely gone. So if anyone still has the problem with an iBook under warranty, get a replacement battery.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2003, 01:33 PM

Thanks for reporting back, jokell82. You're getting pretty awesome battery life. I think 4 hours with full screen brightness is better then what I got when my iBook was new 2 years ago.

OTOH, it sounds like I might have to buy a new battery if I ever want my battery life back. If only I had bought AppleCare for this iBook...

Escher

ticotek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2003, 02:39 PM

jokell82 , I have your exact same problem, ibook goes to sleep at 47%. The sad part is that I live in Venezuela (bought my iBook thru Amazon), and I don't have access to any Apple Store. If somebody else goes to a Store, would you please ask if there's way to fix this without a hardware change?, I'm sure that the 10.2.5 update was responsible for it.

thanks.

ticotek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2003, 03:13 PM

Ok, after searching around a bit a found this thread in apple's discussion board regarding this same issue, it has over 300 post.

here

tico

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 04:06 PM

Is there a customer support line in Venezuela? If you're under warranty they'll mail you a new one and a box/label to send the old one back...

It looks like a new battery is the only thing that'll work...

ticotek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2003, 05:48 PM

Thanks for the info ... I'm still convinced this is completely software related, here are some of my findings using X-Charge:

... Well, I can't figure out how to post an image, but what you can see from it is the graph going up at a normal rate and when it reaches 50% it goes stright up to 100%.

Here's the log:
2003-04-22 14:13:43: --- X-Charge started
2003-04-22 14:13:43: --- Battery charging (current charge = 1%)
2003-04-22 15:16:44: --- System going to sleep... (battery charge = 34%)
2003-04-22 15:25:53: --- System waking up... (battery charge = 36%)
2003-04-22 15:25:54: Battery stopped charging (current charge = 36%)
2003-04-22 15:26:54: Battery started charging (current charge = 36%)
2003-04-22 16:07:12: --- System going to sleep... (battery charge = 44%)
2003-04-22 16:27:17: --- System waking up... (battery charge = 46%)
2003-04-22 16:27:22: Battery stopped charging (current charge = 46%)
2003-04-22 16:28:17: Battery started charging (current charge = 46%)
2003-04-22 16:57:17: Battery stopped charging (current charge = 100%)

As you can see it imposible that the battery reaches 100% from 46% in 29 minutes, since it took 2 hours and 14 minutes to go grom 1% to 46%.

So something is telling the battery that is fully charged at 50%.

I'll call apple tomorrow ...

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2003, 06:12 PM

I had the exact same problem. However, unless Apple can release a software update, it looks like only a new battery will fix the problem...

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2003, 04:26 PM

I've done some more testing with X-Charge as well. It's definitely not just the battery.

Today, I ran my iBook with full screen brightness for only 30 minutes before it went to sleep, at 0%. What's odd is that according to X-Charge, the battery started out at 12.6V with 1200mAh and at "0%"/sleep was down at 11.5V and 1000mAh. That looks to me like there would be plenty of power left to keep running.

I'm cheap, so I'll probably just keep using the power adapter until I can buy a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook. Ack!

Escher

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2003, 06:38 PM

I see you're in DC, have you tried heading over to one of the Apple Stores? Go to Tysons and have them take a look at it. Last time I was there they were ready to hand me a battery and let that be it, but they were out of stock.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2003, 10:34 AM

I see you're in DC, have you tried heading over to one of the Apple Stores? Go to Tysons and have them take a look at it. Last time I was there they were ready to hand me a battery and let that be it, but they were out of stock.
The problem with getting a replacement battery is that my iBook is out of warranty and I did not get AppleCare. That's why I'm assuming that they'll make me buy a new battery. My iBook is two years old and it's very well possible that my battery has simply reached the end of its useful life cycle.

I did mention the decreased battery life after the 10.2.4 update to the Apple Genius last time I was out at Tyson's. He brushed it off saying he hadn't heard anything about it. However, he did tighten a torx screw for me that was protruding from the bottom of the case because the Apple technicians at the Texas facility hadn't properly tightened it after replacing my backlight cable (aka Reed switch assembly). I'll bring up the battery issue again next time I head out to the mall.

Escher

Forum Links
Forum Rules