Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Desktop forgets position of drive icons

Desktop forgets position of drive icons
Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2005, 10:32 AM

Perhaps my Google and search chi is very bad (probably is), but I haven't been able to find anything about this:

I would like to have my drive icons (ie. hard drives + external drives, etc.) on the left side of my screen, so I move them there. However, if I restart, log out and back in, or just close the lid and open it again (sleep-unsleep, that is), they are right back to where they started in the top right corner!

Is there no way of making the desktop remember where I want these icons? It remembers it just fine with folders I have on the desktop, and if I have shortcuts to folders on there, it also remembers their position correctly; just not the drive icons.

Also, isn't there some way of changing where on the desktop it places downloaded files? I'd rather not have it start in the top right corner and work its way downward and leftward, but can't figure out where to change it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2005, 10:39 AM

Not sure about the drives but why don't you create a folder and have downloads installed into it? Can access it from the dock easily enough. And with Automator, could even set rules to move the items to other folders afterward.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Oisín  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2005, 10:52 AM

I like having downloads that I only need to look at once and then delete, on the desktop. I have folders for 'permanent' downloads, but if I'm only going to use the downloaded file once, then trash it, that's easier from the desktop, I think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules