Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Thinking of getting an iMac, but...

Thinking of getting an iMac, but...
jokell82
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 02:55 PM

So as the subject says, I'm thinking about picking up a 20" iMac. I already own a G3 iBook and had some questions on how I could best integrate the two. Right now I have a PC that I store hundreds of gigs worth of recordings on, and I also use it for playback. Other than that it gets no use at all. So basically I'd like the iMac to replace that but also act as my primary computer. It can do that no problem.

However I'd also like to be able to still bring my iBook around with me for when I don't want to be tethered to a desk. Ideally it would be synced up to the iMac so that basically my entire home folder can be accessed from either machine, and changes on one would affect the other.

Is there anything out there that would help me? Would Tiger Server do the trick? I'm basically ready to pull the trigger and get the iMac if I can just figure this out.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

pat++
Mac Elite
May 28, 2005, 04:49 AM

Mac OS X Sever can do this. See network home directory in the document below :

http://images.apple.com/server/pdfs/...s_TB_v10.4.pdf

Notice that in this case, if the iMac is hosting the home directory, you would need to
have the iMac turned on if you want to use your iBook.

jokell82  (op)
Professional Poster
May 28, 2005, 12:09 PM

After researching I've learned that there's no great way to do this. Running network home directories isn't the best thing for when you have to leave the network your server is on. I'm going to switch all my emails to IMAP and do everything else manually, so far that seems the easiest thing to do.

However, a developer friend of mine says her team is working on a solution for this exact problem.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules