Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 'NN CONTEST: Guess the Tablet Specs

'NN CONTEST: Guess the Tablet Specs (Page 4)
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 09:58 PM

Well, there’s stuff in it that can’t be done on the iPhone, like those popover menus. And the homescreen has landscape mode, including 180° rotation. So it’s enhanced, even if it lacks the big fancy multitasking and new notification framework everyone was expecting…

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
My thoughts:
√ - 2ghz or less
√ - 2gb of ram or less
√ - 10" touch screen
√ - iphone OS 4
√ - audio port, dock connector
√ - aluminum shell
√ - no webcam
√ - wifi and bluetooth, but no 3g (3g isn't standard)
X - 80/160gb hard drives, not SSD drives
X - 6 hour battery
√ - $600 (close enough to the average price)

√ - I also think it will include other iphone/ipod touch features like the light sensor and auto rotation.

Basically, very modest expectations.
I think I did pretty well.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

freudling
Banned
Jan 29, 2010, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I think I did pretty well.
Wow, delusional.

2Ghz or less... that's not a predication at all. What kind of processor? How many GHz? You could have said 4 GHz or less. 10 GHz or less. That's not valid.

Same with the RAM. And how much RAM does the iPad have?

10" touchscreen? It's 9.7", not 10".

iPhone 4.0? There is no iPhone 4.0. It's iPhone 3.2 on there. Wrong again.

No 3G? You said no 3G, but the iPad is available in 3G. Wrong again.

80/160 GB HDs? These are flash based, 16, 32 or 64 GB HDs. Wrong again.

$600? Wrong again. If you said multiple models and nailed the price points, you would have been right.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2010, 10:09 AM

He did pretty well.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 10:33 AM

I think anyone could have vaguely guessed what this thing is gonna be. But I still think my guess was spot-on.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Here is my prediction: It will make the Kindle look stupid.
Winner!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
1) It will look like an oversize 1st Gen. iPhone with a 10.7" screen. There will be no "all over" touch interface - only the screen
It does look like an oversize first gen iPhone although I was 1" off on the screen size. I was right about the "all over touch" not being there

2) It will have all of the connectors of an iPhone/iTouch (audio out, "Home" button, iPhone/iPod dock connector, volume control, and button to turn off)
Bingo.

3) It will have an iSight camera on the front and will include, in addition to the usual iPhone Apps provided by Apple, Video iChat app
Wrong. I expect to see an iSight in iPad 2.0

4) It will run a custom in-house ARM-based processor
Bingo!

5) OS will be a beefed-up iPhone OS, likely iPhone/iTouch 4.0, the primary feature of which is allowing apps to run at different screen sizes.
Not sure about this one. It's not "iPhone OS 4.0" but it does allow "apps to run at different screen sizes" (i.e., press 2x button and iPhone apps run at full screen). I say a draw.

6) In addition to running apps optimized for iPhone OS 4.0 (i.e., capable of running on different screen sizes), Apple will also include the iWorks suite, iPhoto, and iTunes - all built with touch support to run on this OS
Bingo!

7) Deals will be announced for media content, including eBooks, magazines, and newspapers. These can all be purchased through the iTunes store, including subscriptions to magazines and newspapers which will be automagically delivered daily or weekly depending on subscription
Kind of. No "subscriptions" announced, but books can be purchased through iTunes store.

8) 802.11n wireless and Bluetooth built-in. OPTIONAL 3G subscription through Verizon OR AT&T. If you currently have an iPhone on AT&T, adding iPad subscription will add $10/month to your bill, which will include use all AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots. If you currently have a data service plan on Verizon, adding 3G service for iPad will also be $10/month and will also include use of all Verizon WiFi hotspots. If you don't want 3G service, you don't have to get it.
Mostly spot on. It IS optional but I wasn't expecting the separate "3G version" of the iPad. It does make sense since the 3G is optional - why build in support for 3G if someone isn't going to use it? AT&T 3G service DOES include use of Wi-Fi Hotspots. I was off on the monthly plan cost.

9) 64 GB version - $699, 128GB version - $899
Nailed the 64GB price. No 128 GB option.

IMO, $699-$899 is the sweet spot for this device. Less than that and there is not much reason to not simply get an iTouch. More than that and you might as well get a MacBook.
Apple surprised me with the base $499 model. Hell, they surprised EVERYONE with that price.

Forum Links
Forum Rules