Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Best way to transfer user account from old drive to new?

Best way to transfer user account from old drive to new?
Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 09:59 PM

Just installed a new, larger drive in my G5. I would like to transfer my apps, account, passwords, mail, music, etc.--from old drive to new. I thought I could use Migration Assistant, but I just took a look and it will only allow transfers between machines. I could use SuperDuper to clone the old drive onto the new, but I'd like to just transfer files rather than clone. Anyone know of an app/method to do this?
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Cold Warrior
Oct 9, 2009, 10:30 PM

Migration Assistant will transfer from disks too. Just install OS X onto the new drive then run Migration Assistant from there. Select the second drive and walk through the steps. On OS X 10.6 the option is 'From a Time Machine backup or other disk' and it's probably the same for 10.5.

Although with a new HDD and no changes, a clone would be a good option. Disk Utility can clone no problem, and you can run it from the OS X boot DVD. In Disk Utility just choose the Restore tab, then drag your old drive to Source and your new drive to Destination. Check-mark Erase Destination and you're all set.

Don Pickett  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Migration Assistant will transfer from disks too. Just install OS X onto the new drive then run Migration Assistant from there. Select the second drive and walk through the steps. On OS X 10.6 the option is 'From a Time Machine backup or other disk' and it's probably the same for 10.5.

Although with a new HDD and no changes, a clone would be a good option. Disk Utility can clone no problem, and you can run it from the OS X boot DVD. In Disk Utility just choose the Restore tab, then drag your old drive to Source and your new drive to Destination. Check-mark Erase Destination and you're all set.
Thanks.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules