Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Update 10.4.2 killed my linksys PCI card

Update 10.4.2 killed my linksys PCI card
slider
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2005, 09:33 AM

I was using a linksys PCI card in my PM QS so I could use 802.11g and WPA. It has worked flawlessly from Jaguar to Panther and to Tiger until this last update. I was hoping that the wireless update Apple released a day or so after would have resolved this, nope.

Anyone know what I should do? Possible suggestions, tries?

Admiral Ahkbar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 08:27 AM

Same thing here... tried repair permissions, cache cleaning, etc, but not luck. I'm using a PMG5 2.0.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 09:05 AM

I was starting to think it was just me.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 06:18 PM

not much help with your current card, but my Belkin F5D7000 wireless PCI is working fine in Tiger and WPA on my QS.
have you tried deleting the settings for you airport connection, then re connecting?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 22, 2005, 06:54 PM

This is just a guess (I have our iBook networked through an internal AirPort card, and we haven't plopped down the cash for Tiger yet) but this sounds like a driver issue. Ok, I know that driver issues are supposed to hit Windows users, not Mac users, but changing the OS can cause this sort of thing.

This sort of OS-change-related problem can come from two related issues. When Tiger installed the networking modules it did not correctly or successfully identify your wireless card, so it either installed the wrong module or no module to run it. Basically you may need to either reinstall the MacOS driver for your PCI card, or find new software for your card that explicitly supports Tiger. From what I've read (and experience with other OSs), reinstalling the drivers that came with the card has a high probability of working. Give it a shot-if it doesn't fix the problem it certainly can't hurt anything, and if it doesn't work, we can all start working on "plan B."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. Tried the Pref. thing, not go. Looked for a driver at Linksys, they don't support Mac's.

I looked in the System Profiler>Network>Airport Card and for the "Airport Card Information:" I have the following:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme
Wireless Card Locale: Worldwide
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 400.17 (3.90.34.0.p11)
And of course no wireless network available.

For one, it sees an Airport Extreme card, two there is a firmware version. Does anyone know if it's a linksys FW or Apple's last update?

One other thing. The only reason I even got a PCI card was for the G standard and WPA. I am fine getting a new card and selling this one to work or something. Does any one make and "support" a PCI card? If so, how have they been about support through OS upgrades.

Don't have too much more time to spend on this tonight nor this week, but if anyone has a suggestion I'll try it when and can and post back the results.

In the interum, is there a way I can use my float Airport Express to bridge this gap for me? You know, use the Ethernet port from the QS and AEE? Thanks.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 08:45 PM

well, as i said above my Belkin card still works without any problems and is a very cheap PCI card to buy,

have you tried re-installing the 10.4.2 combo update?

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nivag
well, as i said above my Belkin card still works without any problems and is a very cheap PCI card to buy,

have you tried re-installing the 10.4.2 combo update?
Nope, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 24, 2005, 09:22 PM

The computer is seeing an AirPort card when you don't have one. THAT is why it is NOT seeing the Linksys card. Tiger probably supports Linksys' card, but since the machine thinks there's an AirPort card there, it can't see the Linksys card. Unfortunately I don't know how to tell Tiger to forget about the AirPort card that isn't there... I think that's the solution to your problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 07:02 PM

OK, tried reinstalling the update. I think I'll just check out the Belkin card and eBay the other.

thanks all.

Admiral Ahkbar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by slider
OK, tried reinstalling the update. I think I'll just check out the Belkin card and eBay the other.

thanks all.
Here's a fix from xlr8yourmac.com

"More info on restoring Airport Extensions from 10.4.0 to fix 10.4.2 Airport
problems (w/3rd party 802.11g cards)"
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/...05.html#S19459
And the earlier posted (that same day) tip:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/...71305.html#tip

Havent tried it yet on my Mac.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2005, 07:08 PM

Admiral Ahkbar,

Thank you, that worked. Saved me some cash as I was just about to buy a replacement card.

asagai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 06:15 PM

Same issues! I have a number of Macs with the same set-up, and 10.4.2 did the same thing. I had to go back down to 10.4.1 to get my machines back up with netork access.

A friend told me it was a Linksys firmware issue, and so I updated all the firmware on the Routers as well...afterwhich, i had the SAME PROBLEM!!

Waitng for 10.4.3!

-Asagai

Keda
Senior User
Sep 10, 2005, 02:19 PM

I came across this thread while trying to trouble shoot my Airport problem. I am running 10.3.9 on an upgraded Beige G3 (G4/500/768MB) with a Linksys PCI 802.11g card. After I updated to Airport 4.2 (via SW update), my PCI card is not picking up signals.

I have tried to use Pacifist, but must be doing something wrong. Could someone explain the process for updating? I have DL'd AirPort 4.1, and tried to reinstall from Pacifist, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Keda
Senior User
Sep 11, 2005, 12:12 PM

To clarify my question...

What do you need to do to remove/replace a kext file? Can I simply use Pacifist to to selectively install and over write the files?

The card did work before the Airport 4.2 update. Can I pull kext files from 10.4 and use them in 10.3.9?

I guess I'm trying to downgrade to the old version of my Airport SW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules