Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Remote Control Menu

iTunes Remote Control Menu
slider
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 11:40 AM

Hi folks,
I was wondering about getting the iTunes Remote Control Menu on my PowerMac.

I have an upgraded dual 1.25 G4 PowerMac that I've decided to use kinda like the AppleTV. I had consider selling the machine, but for one I doubt I could get much for it know with the Intel machines out now, two I was interested in purchasing the AppleTV, but the small hard drive isn't going to let me store all my movies and TV shows on it and as far as I know, I can't access the iTunes store through it. I have it hooked up to my TV now, and I'm using the keyboard and mouse to navigate around to start a TV show or movie.

So, it would be nice to be able to use the iTunes menu system when watching some shows, especially when I'm watching a couple back to back. Does the latest iLife let you do this? I have a remote that came with my Migila AlchemyTV DVR PCI card, but it's remote features seem a bit limited. I know there's the Keyspan remote, would any of these work with the iTunes remote control interface?

Thanks

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 05:02 PM

A little more looking and it look like what I really want is Front Row. So I suppose the question is: Will Front Row be included in Leopard for one, and two, will you be able to use the Keyspan remote or it's likes with Front Row. Installing the Front Row software gives you the message that says you need to have a "built-in" IR sensor and remote. It is what it is. Using my old Mac as a quasi iTV, the Front Row feature is apparent - not really easy to navigate file menus in iTunes from across the room. Still, the slight inconvenience seems worth not spending $300 and it puts my PowerMac to good use, it's far more than up to the task. Hopefully it'll run as good under Leopard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules